User Tag List

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

good afternoon everyone. I've been super absorbed in baseball lately, very exciting watching the Jays go in and out of the top spot!!
    However, I just realized this will NOT be my favourite week........ coming up is an oil change ( and who knows what other " mystery " maintenance scheduled that they always recommend ) as well as the dogs are sooooo shaggy and in need of their grooming appointments soon. Money will be flying out of my wallet!! ha ha
    On a bright note though on Monday, DH needed to hit WM for an aquarium lightbulb and asked if I wanted to tag along.
    We scored on the produce rack!! Four bags altogether ( $4.00 )

contents:
    bag #1. 1 x small seedless watermelon & 1 x honeydew melon
    bag $2. 14 naval oranges
    bag #3. 10 smaller oranges, 3 lemons, 6 nectarines
    bag $4. 15 Gala apples
    If I keep the restraints on for the rest of the shopping needs it should all balance out. Time for creativity again for the upcoming meals using just the freezer, fridge and cupboards as sources.
    Hope everyone has a good week!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good afternoon, everyone.

Had some fun at the theatre earlier today. Got to see a pre-preview of one of the plays (no actors, just the behind the scenes folks). I got to wander around on stage amid the props & help the powers that be decide how best to light the stage. Can't wait to see the show (I just hope they fix the issues with the shower scene - I don't want to have to deal with wet cranky patrons ).

Better get started with dinner. The roommates are already sitting in the kitchen, staring at the microwave.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm trying the ordering glasses online thing. Chose 2 pairs (one tinted so I can wear real sunglasses and not have a pair underneath)with shipping for 123. I'll submit for a refund from our insurance here once they arrive.
    I'm "antsy" to hear if they can be sent as ordering from our eye Dr totalled over 600 for one pair.

Ouch the freezer being left open would upset me too!

Sassy that is a lot of boxes!

We have a bear visiting lately. Last week bf saw it at the neighbors 2 doors down. ..then it was into our garbage on friday. Saturday I discovered it had bern into our peas. Then it came up on our deck minutes after we brought my pup in.
    Sunday night bf saw it in the back yard chased it off with bear bangers. Last night I hear it had a run in with the neighbors German Shepherds.
    And ENR Says they Won't remove it it's a waste of time (our neighbour found out they dump them off half a mile from town so of course it's a waste of time they are just gonna stroll back into town ) It's not the only bear in town either as there has been sightings of snot 4 different 6 yearling males alone plus a momma with 2 cubs. The one here is an adult female the ENR says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Did some cleaning. Including the junk counter! So nice to finally have that cleaned up. All laundry put away and a load in the wash now. Kitchen clean. Washed some floors and the stairs to the 2nd level. Cleaned one washroom. Even had a bath and shaved my legs lol. Now just relaxing and will be sending Ds to bed soon.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We have to be the most productive people on the planet. Angela counts for double bc of just having twins!!!

I just bought groceries for friends who return from a week at the cottage on Thursday. Their fridge was empty. They will have staples and a few good quick meals on hand when they return.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Inquiring minds...

Does anybody have any back to school or end of summer frugal tips?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Had some fun at the theatre earlier today. Got to see a pre-preview of one of the plays (no actors, just the behind the scenes folks). I got to wander around on stage amid the props & help the powers that be decide how best to light the stage. Can't wait to see the show (I just hope they fix the issues with the shower scene - I don't want to have to deal with wet cranky patrons ).

Better get started with dinner. The roommates are already sitting in the kitchen, staring at the microwave.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.
    Lol.,.,.Andi? You paint such graphic portraits of your life with your critters; you always bring a smile to my face. Honestly. You need to write a book!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@walkonby gotta love those produce racks that you are lucky to find, great prices for the variety @saundyl re: inquiring minds back to school only buy what's needed NOT what's wanted (kids are smart and crafty to get things they want vs. needs just like grownups) however they don't pay (haha), perhaps split the expenses with your bf's ex? @avoncallingu hope you are enjoying yourself in Denver

Well I posted that I was looking for some free rhubarb well someone we know just like that not someone we know well seen us at the grocery store parking lot said to pop over to her house well I'm so happy I did I washed and bagged in proper portions for various recipes = 53 cups of RHUBARB @momof5boys do you can your pears in a sugar syrup or rack pack?

And we picked pears this evening too, I will post pictures tomorrow....I'm going to be super busy once they ripen BUT very grateful that people and kind and allowed us to harvest their pears that they don't harvest themselves.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @walkonby gotta love those produce racks that you are lucky to find, great prices for the variety @saundyl re: inquiring minds back to school only buy what's needed NOT what's wanted (kids are smart and crafty to get things they want vs. needs just like grownups) however they don't pay (haha), perhaps split the expenses with your bf's ex? @avoncallingu hope you are enjoying yourself in Denver

Well I posted that I was looking for some free rhubarb well someone we know just like that not someone we know well seen us at the grocery store parking lot said to pop over to her house well I'm so happy I did I washed and bagged in proper portions for various recipes = 53 cups of RHUBARB @momof5boys do you can your pears in a sugar syrup or rack pack?

And we picked pears this evening too, I will post pictures tomorrow....I'm going to be super busy once they ripen BUT very grateful that people and kind and allowed us to harvest their pears that they don't harvest themselves.
    Lol she's worse than the kids.

We TRIED to split the school supplies ended up being told by her we should just do it all....now she's south and has repurchased at least half of what we bought over again plus expects more $$ for shoes for her place (we bought some for here when they need them and school and as far as im concern3d things for everyday for the boys is why he pays cs to her for her to get stuff for them for there when they n need things).

We've also tried giving her $$ to do it to her turn around and say we owe more as half of school supplies for 2 boys is equivalent to 400 dollars (not including clothing bags or lunch boxes ) which I so don't agree with esp when fabric zipper binders are reused.

I wish we could grow pears!

We have a ton of rhubarb to give away.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saundyl; Tue, Aug 25th, 2015 at 11:33 PM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post

Not sure what you mean by rack pack but I use a very light sugar syrup to can the pears. Pears are naturally sweet when ripe so they need very little sugar when canning.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I'm very jealous of everyone that can grow produce. In the area where LO attends daycare, I've seen a beautifully laden cherry tree, apple trees (both dwarf and regular), and pear trees. Mmmmm.... If I were to buy another house, I'd love to make sure there is room to grow at least one tree. My apple tree is a dream for now.

Our soil is horrible and we'd have to spend a lot to make it fertile. The previous owner had a wood stove and burned all sorts of papers, plastics, metal (??!!), and whatever else. He dumped it all along the side of the house and in the back - all the prime garden locations. There's also a spot for his dumped BBQ oil, which has burned the deck.

I was folding and putting away DH's laundry tonight. I found three articles of clothing, not in his style and not in his size. He hasn't been that size in decades so I have no idea where they're from. Weird. Strange the things we keep!

Tonight I tasked myself with posting three bags of small, miscellaneous items. Sweeping, arranging and sorting was a big undertaking! If there are no takers, I will put them in the Goodwill bin.

IMWK: If you're posting an item for sale or trade, how long do you wait until you give up and donate?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sorry no tips on going back to school but I do find even as someone who does not need to deal with back to school September can be a rough month. With back to school comes good sales even for those of us without kids so September is always a stock up month for us. I believe September is Wal-Mart anniversary days where we buy 6 months to a year supply of paper products (Mom is very brand specific on these products so this is my only way to keep costs down).

Items for sale it all depends on the item, right now I have price dropped all my clothes to clear them out. I will re asses after Labour Day weekend as I am off that weekend and am going to tackle our house so after the weekend I will look at what I have and go from there.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Not sure how today is going to go yet, I am supposed to do a TON of running around after work but as I pulled into work my engine light came on. I know it is probably no big deal but seeing if I can switch cars to do my running around. Waiting for my bro to get here to see if he knows where Dad is, I sent Dad an email so hopefully he will get back to me.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Need to get the cabbages done today (blanching for cabbage roll leaves to freeze) - don't want them to rot away waiting, lol! I'll get them started shortly before it gets warmer here - humidex is supposed to get to 29.

Frugal supper tonight - husband will be at a BBQ after his work golf tournament this aft, so I'll just have leftovers of some sort.

Have a great day, everyone!
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Aug 26th, 2015 at 09:07 AM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Does anybody have any back to school or end of summer frugal tips?
    Buy any in season produce now for freezing, canning, or preserving. School snacks like cookies and cereal will be on sale as well as bathing suits, patio furniture, garden plants, etc.

School supplies like backpacks, pencils, pens, etc. are on sale now. So is anything related to dorm-room living, like futons, sheet sets, bath towels, bath mats, etc.

I've also found it one of the best times of year for clothing essentials like socks and underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    We have a ton of rhubarb to give away.
    I've always wanted to try a strawberry rhubarb pie!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I believe September is Wal-Mart anniversary days where we buy 6 months to a year supply of paper products (Mom is very brand specific on these products so this is my only way to keep costs down).
    I completely forgot about Walmart anniversary days! Are the prices really good? I don't remember them being great last year, but thought 2013 was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Not sure how today is going to go yet, I am supposed to do a TON of running around after work but as I pulled into work my engine light came on. I know it is probably no big deal but seeing if I can switch cars to do my running around. Waiting for my bro to get here to see if he knows where Dad is, I sent Dad an email so hopefully he will get back to me.
    I hope there's nothing seriously wrong.

For all the knitters, where do you buy yarn? And does anyone know if Walmart carries the cotton dishcloth variety?

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread Information