User Tag List

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By Gsxrboy
  • 2 Post By Brad
  • 2 Post By Ciel

Thread: Started a business and this is what I have learned!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It has been an incredible 7 months for me, it all started in February of this year and the rollercoaster of this experience still hasn't stopped. I wanted to write a quick post on my personal experience in the hopes that it might motivate some of you to think about doing the same.

1. Just do it! There is never a perfect time to start your own business, the perfect time will never come if you do not go out there and make it happen. For every excuse you have, there has been someone that has had it worse than you and somehow they succeeded.

2. Talk to a business owner and ask for ideas. For the longest time I wanted to be my own boss, but I just couldn't find find anything I wanted to do. It seemed that some businesses seemed more of a headache than an opportunity. I was lucky to have been introduced to the person that would direct me and help me open my business that I currently have now.

3. Money and programs are out there. Just search for grants and free programs that the government offers to get you started. They helped me write a business plan, they reviewed it, helped with refining it and this was done all for free. (I live in Brampton)

4. It's hard. I have sometimes second guessed myself and I would sit there wondering if I did the right thing. I have a beautiful wife and two daughters and everything I do affects them. I had to pull them out of swimming, camp, soccer etc so that I can focus on the business and make it grow. There will be sacrifices to be made in the beginning, everyday you will second guess yourself, but you must stay strong and continue to push through, with the right business plan, success will be around the corner.

5. Find a mentor. I am extremely lucky that I have someone that I can speak to when things are tough and when I have questions. If you surround yourself with like minded people, it will help you keep positive and keep you on the right path, while minimizing mistakes.

For those of you who want to start your own business, you already have the skills necessary to begin. You are capable of 20 times your perceived potential, you just have to put yourself out there and you will be shocked at what comes your way.

If you have questions about how to get started, where to look for business ideas post it on here and I will do my best to answer them.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Last edited by Gsxrboy; Wed, Aug 12th, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
    harbie, Silk, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Way to go! I've always admired people who are intelligent and brave enough to start their own business. I'd like to do so myself but don't have any good ideas. Your business wouldn't have anything to do with motorcycles would it?
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Have to ask the obvious question: how much time is the paperwork taking out of each week or month, would you estimate?

Hamilton Spectator had a business article on young adult entrepreneurs who launch a summer business and mentions a bit of the process/grant requirements in today's paper.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
    ROMEO and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazing! I think you did the right thing! You are trying to give your family a better life and that is what counts!
    What kind of business did you open ?

Thread Information