User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Re-Entering the workforce (SAHM)

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If mailing them, a good quality paper is also a good idea. We have a panel who makes hiring decisions and our photocopier has made a meal of several resumes where they used cheap copy paper that got stuck in the autofeeder
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Lola- don't feel you have to justify anything to anyone. Our site is not a venue to espouse our judgements of others' lifestyles or needs. You asked for suggestions, not criticism.
    Is there a Community College where you could teach a "Personal Interest" course featuring your skills like "Frugal Living with Coupons" ? I used to teach a course on, "How to run a business from your home." I was just sharing the research I had done for myself.
    My mother used to teach sewing at a Community College.
    What about starting your own business? When I moved back to my hometown I started selling Avon partly to get to know people but I do know that it can be a lucrative job. (I don't sell it any more but that's how I got my SC name.
    Can you do income taxes for people? How about getting people's files organized? Are you musical? Can you sing at weddings or funerals?
    Can you knit, crochet or scrapbook? How about starting a Blog about something you know a lot about?
    Are you good at arranging furniture? Maybe you could connect with a realtor and "stage" people's houses when they put them up for sale.
    Seasonal retail jobs should be starting soon.
    Can you give lessons in a certain type of cooking?
    I know that the RCSS offers cooking classes. Maybe you could take on that type of job.
    Is there any connection for you to foreign imports? My mother was British and ran a British Woolens Ladies Store for a while. She had a cousin who exported the clothes to her from England.

Try Goodwill Enterprises. I know they set my cousin up with a job.

Try Service Canada. They have counsellors who can give you advice.

Hope I've helped you to "think outside the box."
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I actually already have a current CPIC as I volunteer at my kids school often. I just added that to my resume.

I have been selling Epicure since January of last year so I've added that as well.

If I don't find anything by September then I'm going to start volunteering (other than just the schools). I've looked into volunteering at the library, which I am excited to do.

I'll look into Gage to update Excel. I've been using it myself and re-learning on my own but it would be great to have something concrete to add (especially if they give a certificate).

Thanks for all the ideas and helpful input ladies. This is why I love SC! The caring and helpful members!
    Grey, Angela273, lecale and 3 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lola: you may be able to secure a paid role in the school, while its not much it fills a gap on the resume and works with your hours. I see lots of moms do this.
    I don't see the resumes until the recruiters have screened you, so hiring manager is acceptable. The one thing that always stands out is the candidate that sends a thank you email. I think a chronological resume is fine. Don't make me guess about the gap. I also find that it can be a risk as FP says some moms are not ready to come back and that can cause managers some fear. As a mom who worked throughout I would not hold it against you. The only reason I did not take a gap with the kids is I have stayed with the same company for a long time and with seniority and my role comes flexibility. We also can't ask about staying home so have a confident explanation and don't feel you need to make excuses. You did what was right for your family and now it's your turn to shine.
    Grey, Angela273, lecale and 3 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I hate to say but I do think there is a real fear that comes into play here. I know within our company we have dealt with it with both parents (both Moms & Dads) returning to work or even people coming back from maternity leave where like some have mentioned their focus just is not on being here. Every little thing that happens equals a day off child isn't adjusting well to daycare, they need a mommy/daddy day, they are constantly switching daycare providers and are often left with gaps with no daycare which can lead to days upon days off well they try to find a new daycare, they have unreliable daycare and regularly have no one to watch their children so they have to take time off. Everyone knows things happen parent or not but I have worked through it where we work as a team of 3 in my department and we had one person who never made it a week without a day off due to their children every week they were off at least one day if not more which makes it extremely hard and there does become conflict within the department which management has to deal with.

I hate to say it but I think in some cases and I am not agreeing it is correct but one bad apple so say ruins it for others. Like FP & Lilo mentioned having someone come back who is not ready or cannot adjust to a work schedule makes companies hesitant. Recently I was involved in two different exercises for work where it was questioned the cost of turn over when an employee only stays for a short period of time. In one exercise it was worked out that an employee working in one of our retail locations needs to be with us 2 years to cover the costs of training and to have someone who fully trained in all aspects of that job. Warehouse would have to be with us 9 month to a year to cover costs and have someone fully trained. In second exercise we looked at the cost to the company new employee needs to be trained so you have someone else working side by side, depending on the position is someone coming in train are they going somewhere else to train, the cost to customers possibility of higher mistakes, longer processing times. Any new hire is a gamble but if there more risks then normal with the gamble some maybe more hesitant

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I hate to say but I do think there is a real fear that comes into play here. I know within our company we have dealt with it with both parents (both Moms & Dads) returning to work or even people coming back from maternity leave where like some have mentioned their focus just is not on being here. Every little thing that happens equals a day off child isn't adjusting well to daycare, they need a mommy/daddy day, they are constantly switching daycare providers and are often left with gaps with no daycare which can lead to days upon days off well they try to find a new daycare, they have unreliable daycare and regularly have no one to watch their children so they have to take time off. Everyone knows things happen parent or not but I have worked through it where we work as a team of 3 in my department and we had one person who never made it a week without a day off due to their children every week they were off at least one day if not more which makes it extremely hard and there does become conflict within the department which management has to deal with.

I hate to say it but I think in some cases and I am not agreeing it is correct but one bad apple so say ruins it for others. Like FP & Lilo mentioned having someone come back who is not ready or cannot adjust to a work schedule makes companies hesitant. Recently I was involved in two different exercises for work where it was questioned the cost of turn over when an employee only stays for a short period of time. In one exercise it was worked out that an employee working in one of our retail locations needs to be with us 2 years to cover the costs of training and to have someone who fully trained in all aspects of that job. Warehouse would have to be with us 9 month to a year to cover costs and have someone fully trained. In second exercise we looked at the cost to the company new employee needs to be trained so you have someone else working side by side, depending on the position is someone coming in train are they going somewhere else to train, the cost to customers possibility of higher mistakes, longer processing times. Any new hire is a gamble but if there more risks then normal with the gamble some maybe more hesitant
    I agree that's what some employers think.

That's one of the reasons why I'm asking if any other (past or present) SAHMs or even hiring managers have any suggestions/tips.

After seven years staying at home and bonding with my children I am MORE than ready to get back to work. They are at school full-time and even if they were in the after school program (run right at the school) they would only be there 45 minutes before DH picks them up. They both know the before/after school care staff (as do I) because they also volunteer at the school at other times (lunch supervision, dances, special events, etc). So I have no worries there.

But again having said all that, I know some employers think things like "But what about if they are sick?". It's true either DH or myself would have to leave work if they are sick. It's actually one of the things DH's boss told him after he had his current job for awhile, they especially liked him because I was a stay at home mother and they didn't have to worry about him taking a bunch of time off for kid related things.

When my DD was sick this year she missed 2 MONTHS of school, I was SO THANKFUL I was a stay at home mother then! I couldn't have predicted her getting sick but I would have missed a lot of work, so I understand it's something employers think about when looking at resumes/candidates. Whether it's discrimination or not, it's realistic (and I'm not saying it just applies to SAHMs but to all parents to one degree or another).
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Aug 19th, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
    ROMEO, Angela273, lecale and 4 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. It's been a busy couple of weeks.

I just wanted to update and say that I'm now working again!

It's only part-time (25 hrs per week) but it's a good transition for our house.

I've done a few shifts and I'm really liking it. It's great hours (I still get a lot of time with my kids) and there's a lot of opportunities for career advancement (the company really prefers to promote from within).

I just wanted to update and say thank you to everyone who offered positive support and helpful suggestions (in this thread, via reps or PM).

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Awesome, sounds great!
    25 hrs is great if you still get to be with the kids.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Congrats on your new job! Sounds like a great fit for you.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@bargain-hunter-lola......good on ya! Welcome to the work force, sounds like you are thrilled, and it's a good feeling when you are working, earning and contributing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information