User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Best Kodi Tv Add ons

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    does anyone know how to upgrade kodi versions? ihave kodi 16, want to update to this https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-1-krypton
    i have an android box & tried to download an app from google play store, no luck. the whole system seems sluggish & way too much buffering & getting error messages.
    any advice to update or just speed things up?
    You might want to check the specs on Android box to see if it will accomodate Kodi.17
    Key specs to check are:
    - RAM
    - PROCESSOR/CPU
    - ANDROID VERSION

The lack of ram and processor power might also explain the sluggishness you're experiencing... check the specs of your box with what this site (linked below) describes is recommended. If you're below that recommendation then that probably explains your situation.

Also if your version of Android is less than suggested (v.5.1.1), you wont be able to go to v.17 ... and depending on your box, you might not be able to upgrade your version of Android to take the latest and greatest.

http://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-u...7-krypton.html

When you buy an Android box, you're pretty much locked into what it comes with. Ram and processor defintitely, OS and firmware version almost assuredly as well. So as time goes on, and upgraded softwar comes out, it's less likely that your box will accomodate it.

It's crap like this that prevented me from buying an Android box each time I looked at them in the past. (not to poo-poo on your decision, many people have them and love them) I'm a considerable tech-savy person, but all the unknowns that come with future-proofing these devices are the biggest caveat in my humble opinion. (the ram, storage, speed, OS/firmware version, etc)

I've got an actual mini PC hooked up that cost me just about as much as a decent Android box (just under $200 taxes in). The PC runs Windows 10, and runs the PC version of Kodi flawlessly... plus I can also run VLC for video files that I have stored locally (on a thumb drive, or stream across my own network), as well as any version of any online service that's out there (pick any of the -Go apps, HBO-Go, CTV-Go, etc... as well as CraveTV, Amazon Video, etc). And there's the Windows 10 Netflix app. which (now) lets me pre-load Netflix content.

When I travel, I can pack the mini-PC in my suitcase and watch that content when I'm on the road, without relying on whether or not my Hotel's internet is sufficient enough -- and it normally never is.

I can upgrade the RAM and the harddrive on it as I see fit, attach external storage, stream across my own network, and Windows 10 updates and upgrades come down with absolutely ZERO issue. Almost any of the intended USB remotes that work for Android boxes work just fine on the PC as well. I just prefer the versatility of the PC for the cost.
    ROMEO, Linda Evans, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

get new box. himedia 8 octocore works well for me. about 150
    try factorydirect.ca
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the feedback.

this is the box i have... https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Quad-C...ott+tv+box+mxq

too bad its only 5.1 version..but you get what u pay for. i may look into something else or just continue to watch movies on my laptop.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    You might want to check the specs on Android box to see if it will accomodate Kodi.17
    Key specs to check are:
    - RAM
    - PROCESSOR/CPU
    - ANDROID VERSION

The lack of ram and processor power might also explain the sluggishness you're experiencing... check the specs of your box with what this site (linked below) describes is recommended. If you're below that recommendation then that probably explains your situation.

Also if your version of Android is less than suggested (v.5.1.1), you wont be able to go to v.17 ... and depending on your box, you might not be able to upgrade your version of Android to take the latest and greatest.

When you buy an Android box, you're pretty much locked into what it comes with. Ram and processor defintitely, OS and firmware version almost assuredly as well. So as time goes on, and upgraded softwar comes out, it's less likely that your box will accomodate it.

It's crap like this that prevented me from buying an Android box each time I looked at them in the past. (not to poo-poo on your decision, many people have them and love them) I'm a considerable tech-savy person, but all the unknowns that come with future-proofing these devices are the biggest caveat in my humble opinion. (the ram, storage, speed, OS/firmware version, etc)

I've got an actual mini PC hooked up that cost me just about as much as a decent Android box (just under $200 taxes in). The PC runs Windows 10, and runs the PC version of Kodi flawlessly... plus I can also run VLC for video files that I have stored locally (on a thumb drive, or stream across my own network), as well as any version of any online service that's out there (pick any of the -Go apps, HBO-Go, CTV-Go, etc... as well as CraveTV, Amazon Video, etc). And there's the Windows 10 Netflix app. which (now) lets me pre-load Netflix content.

When I travel, I can pack the mini-PC in my suitcase and watch that content when I'm on the road, without relying on whether or not my Hotel's internet is sufficient enough -- and it normally never is.

I can upgrade the RAM and the harddrive on it as I see fit, attach external storage, stream across my own network, and Windows 10 updates and upgrades come down with absolutely ZERO issue. Almost any of the intended USB remotes that work for Android boxes work just fine on the PC as well. I just prefer the versatility of the PC for the cost.
    I am getting rid of my Android box for the reasons you mentioned above. What kind of Mini PC do you use with your tv monitor? Sounds like this is the way to go! (We have Kodi loaded on our main PC).

Thanks so much in advance!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

does anyone know how to upgrade kodi versions? ihave kodi 16, want to update to this https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-1-krypton

i have an android box & tried to download an app from google play store, no luck. the whole system seems sluggish & way too much buffering & getting error messages.

any advice to update or just speed things up?
    Follow the instructions at https://troypoint.com/how-to-update-...ndroid-tv-box/
    Linda Evans likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post

when i click on the My Apps section....kodi is not even listed. WTH? i clicked on download & its been Pending for 45 mins....sheeesh*

it seems i am not able to update google play store, so everytime i try to download i get "pending"....foreveeeerrrrrrr. been reading alot & trying fixes but still no go. if u have any suggestions, i could use them.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ay/qL-iiz1cr2U
    Last edited by Linda Evans; Thu, Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:11 AM.

Trading Score
    191 (100%)

I was having this same problem a few days ago when I tried to upgrade Kodi. I fixed it by clickin on uninstall and then I reinstalled Kodi and that worked. You could give that a try but you may lose your addons. My box was new so I didn't have any add ons yet.

when i click on the My Apps section....kodi is not even listed. WTH? i clicked on download & its been Pending for 45 mins....sheeesh*

it seems i am not able to update google play store, so everytime i try to download i get "pending"....foreveeeerrrrrrr. been reading alot & trying fixes but still no go. if u have any suggestions, i could use them.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ay/qL-iiz1cr2U

My Trade and Wish List

Looking to join ebates.ca, please click link to use my referral:
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Nkb7hHZodiU%3D

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug2011 View Post
    I was having this same problem a few days ago when I tried to upgrade Kodi. I fixed it by clickin on uninstall and then I reinstalled Kodi and that worked. You could give that a try but you may lose your addons. My box was new so I didn't have any add ons yet.
    You should be able to update Kodi without uninstalling the old one.....I believe it will simply overwrite the older version with the new version.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie-Cheese View Post
    I am getting rid of my Android box for the reasons you mentioned above. What kind of Mini PC do you use with your tv monitor? Sounds like this is the way to go! (We have Kodi loaded on our main PC).
    Thanks so much in advance!
    I have a couple...
    In one room I have an HP Stream. They are discontinued and HP didnt see fit to replace the model, so might be a bit tricky to find. I bought it at Staples on clearance about a year ago for $129. it came with 2gb of Ram and 32gb Solid State harddrive. I bumped up the ram to 4gb and solid-state harddrive to 64gb (it doesnt need much, but enough to install Windows10 a few video apps, plus be able to get Windows updates -- for everything else I use external storage)

Attachment 336508

The second machine is a Lenovo Mini PC I bought off eBay for about $159 (I had to add a harddrive to it). The thing is about the size of a couple of CD Jewel cases stacked on one another. Pretty small.
    The model series is a Thinkcenter m73 (there is also an m75, and other Lenovo models also have the same form factor) This format is still available in one model or the other, even if it's not identical to mine.
    Just be sure if you order one second hand that you get the power cord (most important because it's proprietary). -- and perhaps the harddrive caddy if the HD isnt included.

Attachment 336509

The HP Stream is about the same footprint as the Lenovo, but a bit taller. Both use SSD's and are quick to boot and are whisper quiet.

The HP came with Windows 8 pre-installed and digitally licensed with automatically makes it a free license upgrade to Windows 10
    MY Lenovo came with a Windows 7 license key, which was also valid for a Windows 10 install. Be sure if you order one second-hand that it also comes with a license key for Windows 7 or Windows 8 (digitally licensed) if you intend to use Windows 10. In both cases they will be valid for a Win10 install

Both have built in wifi (802.11n) and gigabit ethernet if you're going wired. Both have built in blue-tooth and USB3.0 ports all around.

The HP has an HDMI out which carries both HD video and multi-channel (7.1) audio... and the Lenovo has Display Port connector (which converts easily to HDMI) and also carries the HP video and up to 7.1 audio.

They DO support a 4k resolution desktop (thats 3840x2160) but struggle at playing actual 4k rendered video... but considering these are both older systems, with built-on video, it's purely acceptable... and unless you have a 4K TV and have 4K content to stream (not likely) this wont matter anyway.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Nov 2nd, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
    Ladybug2011 and Linda Evans like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information