User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Ma'am or Miss ?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    I'll admit, one reference I do find patronizing is when people say "my friend" e.g. how are you doing my friend?. However, I just give a stern look and go about my business...I mean I don't know you from Adam, how can I be "your friend".
    If you are a new or first-time customer, yes that address is startling as the first communication! However, if you are a regular customer, likely the person is trying to convey consideration in seeing you in the establishment. Sometimes customers and business staff need a social chat before getting on to the shopping or ordering-never know when that bond can become a networking strength too.
    greeny and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Strangely, I haven't heard either in a really long time. I always seem to get called "love" by strangers now. Or the generic "Mom" by people at daycare.

The generic title "Mom" secretly annoys me but I understand why they do it.
    Having read British children's and youth literature, I'm aware of some of the older UK raised women who use Love as a form of address equally in the shops with customers or friends and family--I can get used to it if the employee is a friendly type.
    Dear to me seems more appropriate in personal social relationships, unless it is used as an adjective prior to someone's proper name or Mr./Mrs./Ms. and surname.
    greeny and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Again...North Americanism. I never had to deal with this in Europe.

As for what "the French" use...I am well aware of that both In France and in Quebec

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Buddy and pal seem to be companions of Honey-dreaded and not as good as Friend!
    Ciel, greeny and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I prefer Miss, Ma'am makes me feel old.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Having read British children's and youth literature, I'm aware of some of the older UK raised women who use Love as a form of address equally in the shops with customers or friends and family--I can get used to it if the employee is a friendly type.
    Dear to me seems more appropriate in personal social relationships, unless it is used as an adjective prior to someone's proper name or Mr./Mrs./Ms. and surname.

As a nothern raised brit..Love isn't/wasn't that common unless you knew the customer or shopstaff..It was frowned upon as a social greeting otherwise..
    I'm talking late 1960's -2000, soap operas and books do tend to pander to the lowest common factor.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

My children's closest friends call me Miss LILO. Every time another adult hears it they are impressed as they see it as respectful. My boys do the same to their parents. I have known these boys since they were 3 and to call me mrs. Last name is too formal. But just my 1 st name is too casual. Now even their newer friends do it. It was my very british dh that started this. I laughed when I was volunteering at school and the youngest siblings called me miss LILO so the whole kindie class calls me that now.
    Natalka, Ciel, greeny and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My children's friends have called me " jr penguin name's" mom..through to M'zelle..Penguin through to Mme Penguin..now I'm ..darth cos the friends are now almost...sobs Adults..I need to respect them as such..
    Ciel, greeny, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    My children's closest friends call me Miss LILO. Every time another adult hears it they are impressed as they see it as respectful. My boys do the same to their parents. I have known these boys since they were 3 and to call me mrs. Last name is too formal. But just my 1 st name is too casual. Now even their newer friends do it. It was my very british dh that started this. I laughed when I was volunteering at school and the youngest siblings called me miss LILO so the whole kindie class calls me that now.
    That's rather nice, Lilo. My son's friends always called me Mrs., and my son did the same to his friends' moms.

Interesting point with this - when I was teaching, I was obviously Miss or Mrs. Surname.

However, at our son's Ukrainian Bilingual elementary school, teachers were known by their first name - I don't know the origin of it. So his teachers were Pana (Miss) Tanya or Pani (Mrs.) Anhelyna or Pan (Mr.) Bohdan, for examples.
    Ciel, greeny, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only time people perhaps need to start getting their knickers in a twist, is when your kids start calling you by name / talking back to you / free loading off you as adults / stealing from you / etc.....then and only then do you know you've failed as a parent, and help contributed to society going down the crapper
    greeny, DaveP and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Well that went off topic quickly.
    Natalka, greeny and DianneS like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Well that went off topic quickly.

Haha it sure did ! But that's ok..any discussion is entertaining !

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i prefer to be called Ma'am but most folks call me "miss"
    Natalka, Ciel and greeny like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'd rather "miss" .... I'm not even over 30 yet.
    Ciel and greeny like this.
    FREE gift from Temu site! (similar to SHEIN)
    https://temu.com/s/FeegMPQDbwMvEI

Get cashback for online shopping!
    https://www.topcashback.com/ref/keek

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I find formal interactions going downhill - phone calls tend to go the route of "miss lisa".. Which is super weird to me - who told them to use first name with miss? Just ask if you can call me by my first name or do it or something - but at least pick one and commit to it.

Also - I sometimes forget that there is this social norm of name change when married that I didn't adhere to. So my hubby and I don't share the same last name - and it seems to throw ppl off.. It's a non thing to me until it pops up every now and then and I'm reminded that this confuses ppl..
    Ciel and greeny like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    The only time people perhaps need to start getting their knickers in a twist, is when your kids start calling you by name
    I don't have a problem with that...I call my in-laws my thier Christian name and Mr P does that to mine

talking back to you
    ..Hey..I've been wrong..I like that my brood are able to tell me that knowing I ain't going ape after them..

free loading off you as adults
    I call that helping out...My parents and MR P's parent did that in their own small way to us..I don't want to leave the brood without adequate resources and be a heartless b!tch..

stealing from you / etc.....then and only then do you know you've failed as a parent, and help contributed to society going down the crapper
    stealing not good but hyperbole much...my offspring calling me Darth isn't going to ruin civilisation..
    Ciel, greeny and beckie.c like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information