User Tag List

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: September 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Starting my weekend now. I have a huge to do list as we were away last weekend and so much was left undone & then to get ready for the back to school on Tuesday. I have a few returns that I am going to do now as it puts money in my pocket. I fear the stores may already be a madhouse. I was think of returning a gift to Toys are Us that I bought in excess for Logan’s b day. But maybe sine it was a good deal I will put it aside for Christmas & save myself a stop.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@SassyAshley hope all goes well in the furniture assembly
    @YOU AND ME hugs sorry the headache is back
    @Andit you are very talented, that painting is stunning - you should be very proud of yourself and I am sure your bff will love it
    @lilo0003 I think putting the gift aside for Christmas is a wonderful idea
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

All done my apple duties I now have 31 cups of apples in the freezer along with the apples that I canned the other day. I think I will still pick another bushel of apples this weekend and I should be set for 2 years. yes 2 years of canned apples that way next year I can skip the apple canning and focus on only freezing apples for the freezer.

Still have pears to deal with and tomatoes. I'm thinking of making some tomato soup to use up some fresh tomatoes and that would be lunches for dh & I for the next little while but won't start that until later this evening as the house was so unbearable last night with all the apple canning that went on.

QUESTION - does anyone on hear have a gas or propane stove not electric? thoughts, love & hates????
    I hate my electric stove even though they replaced it because it was defective it still is pretty crappy eventhough I spent quite a bit on the stove itself.
    I'm wondering if you find that gas cooks faster, better, how about baking?
    I'm assuming it doesn't take 20 minutes to warm up the oven like the energy efficient electric ovens?
    Of course this purchase will only happen if I get a tax refund in the spring.....always thinking ahead (haha)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

J and C-I have only ever had electric so no comparison. It seems to work fine for me. Naturally if I am at someone elses house I don't really like igniting the gas burners. My stove is 14 years old and would take a max 10 minutes to heat to a very hot temp-less time to say 350.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I have used both Nancy, I love gas for the fact you can control heat better and it is faster, however gas does scare me a bit and the whole pilot light thing freaks me out. I have electric now with a glass cook top..never again I hate it. It never looks clean.
    Organized my freezer a bit this morning, it is bursting with salmon and halibut my husband brought back from his fishing trip and bird hunting is just around the corner, I am looking forward to duck, I love it. I realized I may have overdone it on an Italian sausage sale early in the summer, i found an Emeril recipe for chili made with it and I happen to have all ingredients, even the bottle of Guiness it calls for. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
    I worked a couple of hours at the golf course this morning and it was freezing...5 degrees with a high of nine today. Pretty much the same for tomorrow, taking our boat and dock out will be cold, that is where the chili will come in handy!!
    Better run, i have to finish the chili and work at the bakery tonight, will be glad when I am done covering holidays for people.Really don't want to be this busy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Nancy nice job with all the fall canning and freezing.I have only managed to get some freezer tomato sauce done. I want to make a few apple pies for the freezer for Thanksgiving, I also want to find a pressure canner that you can use on a glass cook top, it has to have a concave bottom otherwise the cooktop will crack.I would really like to make some antipasto as well.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My life is feeling out of control, and I've realized a large portion of it is how disorganized my house is so... My task for the weekend is to get that under control. Then I'll feel better, less stressed, and ready to deal with anything! Happy Friday!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well TG- you are an over achiever compared to me. I haven't frozen anything- unless you count the leftover bran muffins I baked yesterday morning! Of course I just have a fridge top freezer and the only things our yard produced this year were raspberries and apples which we ate fresh!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Aunt took me and girls out for lunch today. Enjoyed her company. Finished an hour of fussies and baby is now in a carrier on me. DH working. Have to do the evening routine myself tonight.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Nancy nice job with all the fall canning and freezing.I have only managed to get some freezer tomato sauce done. I want to make a few apple pies for the freezer for Thanksgiving, I also want to find a pressure canner that you can use on a glass cook top, it has to have a concave bottom otherwise the cooktop will crack.I would really like to make some antipasto as well.
    I have stainless steel with glass top and I hate it. The stainless steel is never clean no matter how hard I try, marks marks and more marks. And the glass top is a pain in the arse and you are right I have my parents pressure canner and I can't use it on the glass top.

Question about the gas/propane I thought that you just turn the knobs and the stove will light the gas UNLESS you are talking about at your cabin where you wouldn't leave the gas/propane on all the time just in case, can you clarify for me @thriftygranny thanks

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter3 View Post
    My life is feeling out of control, and I've realized a large portion of it is how disorganized my house is so... My task for the weekend is to get that under control. Then I'll feel better, less stressed, and ready to deal with anything! Happy Friday!
    Being organized does make a huge difference best of luck this weekend getting organized, I also think creating a routine is very important so things don't creep up again

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well I don't feel like dealing with the tomatoes....

DH called and asked if we wanted to go to the cottage, nope so he'll be back tomorrow.

Tuesday is my appointment for my underarm problem some may recall the operation to fix this at the same time as my gullbladder was canceled because dr thought dermatologist would be a better option....so we'll see. It's 3 years since the 1 arm did not take during surgery back then so fingers crossed this dr can figure this bacterial infection out and remedy

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Good luck J&C!
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-good luck jasper

-had a long day watched ashlyn at 6.30 a.m she wasn't up til 8.00 but hey she napped for 2 and a half hours -so I did too
    -I think my bug is over lasted 3 days -just had my first cup of tea with milk in 3 days -it felt so nice going down

-got home at 5.30 and stained a bit on the railings as we need to finish this before the evening temps fall lower -have3 more railings to do -and its back breaking at my age too

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Total fan of a gas stove, I grew up with one and when we bought the house the fittings were in for gas so I told the owners they could keep the electric. DH was not as convinced but 20 yrs later he agrees. We had electic at the cottage last week and seriously ever time I had to use it I would say "have I mentioned I hate electric stoves". I bought a new one a few yrs ago and the newer ones are even better. They do take some getting used to. My mom still cooks on gas as well.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information