User Tag List

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: September 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Yes Nancy you just turn on the knob for the burners and they light.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning! Happy Caturday!

It's so cold here - I know those of you in ON are dealing with heat warnings, though.

No plans this weekend, just keepin' keepin' on!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Bookshelves are built and up and we started to empty the closest. Today we need to get the wire racks up and keep sorting. I am in that phase of is it actually getting better every where you turn right now there are empty boxes and stuff. I know we are getting somewhere, it just does not feel like it right now.

Going to head down shortly because apparently my body missed the memo that it is the week and I was wide awake at 5 am so might as well get some stuff done before Mom gets up. Still so very much to get done, she keeps reminding me it is going to take time but that is what I fear, we get started and it drags on forever and forever. We have to have this house cleaned up by Thanksgiving as Mom has invited the neighbour to Thanksgiving as everyone else in the family is away that weekend.

Okay enough talk time to get to work. Have a great day everyone.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hello! I am on a roll getting stuff done today. Very hot outside so doing my inside stuff before we start the garage with a drive out to the beach in between DS is off at a birthday party so 3 hours to get stuff done with an empty house. 2 loads of laundry hanging out to dry. 3rd load in wash (couch blanket and odds and ends) Kitchen spotless and sink cleaned Peaches cut and bagged in portions for smoothies in the freezer. Stopped at RCSS on way back from dropping ds and grabbed hot dog and hamburg buns. Probably for lunch tomorrow but just wanted to have on hand so available. Sold the sink from when it was removed when we renovated powder room. So happy it is gone out of the selling room. Now I have room to get organized in there and start posting stuff for sale. Deposited DS's 1st pay cheque for him today. It was only for his training so just under $70. So he is taking $60 and putting the difference into savings even though I told him to blow the 1st one lol I'm glad it was a small one since his next one will be a good one and he is already to put $ in savings and $ in planned spending. Hoping it starts him off on the right track. Well I better get rolling! 1 bathroom is almost cleaned, off to do the others!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Total fan of a gas stove, I grew up with one and when we bought the house the fittings were in for gas so I told the owners they could keep the electric. DH was not as convinced but 20 yrs later he agrees. We had electic at the cottage last week and seriously ever time I had to use it I would say "have I mentioned I hate electric stoves". I bought a new one a few yrs ago and the newer ones are even better. They do take some getting used to. My mom still cooks on gas as well.
    @lilo0003 can you explain what you mean by getting used to? just curious as to what you mean and what you and hate about it if anything, thanks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I am pleased to say that the last of the pears are all bagged and it the freezer.

I left a few out for some baking with Logan today or tomorrow.

And I can honestly say I don't want to see a whole pear for quite some time (haha).

I am grateful for the amount of pears we did get for free but NOT disappointed that the process is over.

I have the bags labelled with various quantities for my oatmeal in the am (when back on my diet) and for baking various recipes new to using pears in the baking so it should be interesting to see what we like, love & hate. My Pear Pinterest board is getting quite a few pins to try over the next while.

Tomorrow I will count the amount of cups of pears (by the labelled bags) and take pictures for my facebook page.

Now I need to do tomatoes well eventually.....

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I`ve been busy this week. Got about 75 towels...mostly fall patterns... ready to sew buttons onto. Finished a pink spiderweb afghan last night and started a blue one today.

I looked at the Addition Elle site a few days ago. they added some new items on sale at 50% off. I added some things to my cart and decided to think about it over night. So glad I did. Got an email from them the next morning giving an additional 40% off. So for a pair of $50 shorts I paid $15, $60 top cost me $20. I love their sales. It`s the only time I shop there.
    @jasperandchar Processing fruit does take a lot of time but it will be so good this winter.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The month started off with leftovers from August budget but unfrugally we decided to go camping again this weekend. BF is working so I'm at the campsite alone which has resulted in a snack attack.

Noticed a smirnoff recall to which I have 3 coolers that now have to be returned so I bought a case of coca cola

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I`ve been busy this week. Got about 75 towels...mostly fall patterns... ready to sew buttons onto. Finished a pink spiderweb afghan last night and started a blue one today.

I looked at the Addition Elle site a few days ago. they added some new items on sale at 50% off. I added some things to my cart and decided to think about it over night. So glad I did. Got an email from them the next morning giving an additional 40% off. So for a pair of $50 shorts I paid $15, $60 top cost me $20. I love their sales. It`s the only time I shop there.
    @jasperandchar Processing fruit does take a lot of time but it will be so good this winter.
    @Crochetlady you are a machine I guess you have to be with your lovely items flying off the shelves ,

You are absolutely correct I will appreciate the fruit processing once the colder weather arrives it certainly helps the pocket book and the prices rise in the winter. I just hate that everything I process/harvest has a 2-4 week window (apples, pears, tomatoes).

I am now elbow deep in tomatoes as I just ventured out to the garden and holy smokes I have 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I am now elbow deep in tomatoes as I just ventured out to the garden and holy smokes I have 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes and a another bunch that will be ready in a day or 2 .
    @saundyl have fun camping, is your bf on call or something? I hate when the snack gremlins attack, enjoy the snacks all by yourself....

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I am now elbow deep in tomatoes as I just ventured out to the garden and holy smokes I have 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes and a another bunch that will be ready in a day or 2 .
    @saundyl have fun camping, is your bf on call or something? I hate when the snack gremlins attack, enjoy the snacks all by yourself....
    He could only take a half day off today as one if the causual/relief worker they have is south for chemotherapy until monday. That lady impresses me... cancer for at least 10 years and works 2 jobs. Such a nice lady too. The other relief worker retired 1 yr 2 months ago and due to red tape they havent been able to keep the casual they hired when we had our accident. (He's a chef and works for the gnwt. )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@saundyl The snack attack hit here too. I just ate some sweet and salty popcorn. Should have stopped for lunch but I wasn`t hungry then.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hey all those that can tomatoes, I need your help. I have a pressure canner but can't use on my glass top stove and can't use on the bbq side burner as it's my parents.

So I have 1/2 bushel of tomatoes that I want to process in hot water bath. MIL doesn't use pressure canner or hot water bath and has no problems.

But I know I need to add 2tbsp of lemon juice to each 1litre jar and salt is optional.

Bernadin says to hot water bath for 85 minutes but I think that is quite long considering the tomatoes will be cooked and pipping hot.

Any advice???? thanks

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Sorry Nancy. It`s been so long since I canned tomatoes (hot water bath) that I can`t remember how long I processed them.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lots of people are freaked out by the open flame, that's the part that takes some getting used to. With gas the heat is instant, the oven warms up super quick, I find it takes forever with electic.
    Took Logan and DH to the states today. Logan needed some back to school stuff as he proclaimed no more sweats. He looked so grown up in his khakis. DH needed a pair of shorts that fit since he went from a size 40 to a 36 waist with his training. We have some cash in a US account so this way it does not impact our September budget and hubby has clothes that fit. Bought a Chaps dress shirt at s for 8.00. That is better than thrift store prices.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information