User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree335Likes

Thread: migrants trying to save their lives - where is canada?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Some other perspectives on Alexander.

Here are 4 other things Chris Alexander has had to say about refugees

http://www.pressprogress.ca/here_are...about_refugees
    madchives, Andit, Tbites and 1 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My Mom's been in Hungary the last 2 weeks (she just got home a little while ago), so I've been getting a first-hand account of what's been going on wrt the refugees/migrants. She says it looks like a war zone.

In downtown Budapest, there are thousands of migrants now living in the train stations and the subway stations. The trains have been stopped indefinitely (Austria refuses to let the trains cross the border) as the migrants are desperate to get on board and head west. Subway trains have also stopped, because people can't get past the migrants to get to them. Buses & streetcars are still running, but traffic is a nightmare.

Last week, Merkel made a comment about taking in 800000 migrants. 2 trainloads of folks managed to leave Hungary. The next day, clarifications were made that the number represented the total that the EU countries would take in, not Germany. That day, the borders were closed to train travel.

The other day, a migrant went into labour in the subway - when the male paramedics arrived, a group of migrants attacked them when they tried to help the woman.

The migrants are coming through Serbia (non-EU country), who is sending them on to Hungary. The EU wants all members to take in these folks, but they only want to go to Germany or Sweden (a few mention other countries where they have relatives). Hungary is supposed to issue ID for the migrants (they need travel documents which include fingerprints), but the migrants refuse and riot in the streets, cause they don't want to stay in Budapest. Hungary is setting up mobile clinics to vaccinate and check the migrants, but they are reluctant to co-operate (tuberculosis is now a threat). The EU is refusing to give Hungary any money to help with the costs, because the migrants aren't staying put and assimilating into Hungarian society.

Just thought I'd share.
    bluerose, anisa, madchives and 7 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh my, Andi, what a mess that all is.
    Not wanting to be fingerprinted to gain their freedom? It doesn't make sense to me...maybe there's a real communications problem; I mean, how on earth can anyone communicate to thousands of people that this is for their own good as well as the good of the country they want to inhabit?
    And vaccinations?! Would they rather have TB?
    I really do think there's a real gap in what's being asked of them and what they "think" is being asked of them, or confusion over the "why" of what's being asked of them.

And besides...why so choosy about Germany or Sweden? I can understand if they have relatives in those places, but there are other nations that would be willing to take them in under the proper circumstances.

Just a sad situation all around, and I hope someone of some authority can step in and negotiate between the two parties: the thousands of people and the rules that they have to abide by.
    anisa, madchives, Andit and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Andi, thanks so much for that!
    Andit and walkonby like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post

And besides...why so choosy about Germany or Sweden? I can understand if they have relatives in those places, but there are other nations that would be willing to take them in under the proper circumstances.
    If you believe the crap my kith and kin are so very happy to spread...

These so-called refugees are just after a cozy place where there are no checks on their status and they can pull in lots of cash for free...and variations on this screed...http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/refugees.asp
    Andit likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So far 1 NDP candidate has been caught lying about details with the dead boy. How many more are?
    Andit likes this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    So far 1 NDP candidate has been caught lying about details with the dead boy. How many more are?
    http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/09/sh...ndp-mp-resign/

Fin Donnelly claimed he wrote on Tima Kurdi's behalf for BOTH brothers and their families and that has been proven to be a lie. He knowingly lied to use this situation to attack the conservatives
    strew, Andit and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Oh my, Andi, what a mess that all is.

Not wanting to be fingerprinted to gain their freedom? It doesn't make sense to me...maybe there's a real communications problem; I mean, how on earth can anyone communicate to thousands of people that this is for their own good as well as the good of the country they want to inhabit?
    And vaccinations?! Would they rather have TB?
    They don't want to be fingerprinted because the policy is that wherever they are processed, they have to stay. The Italians had a huge problem with the migrants arriving by sea - they refused to be processed because they didn't want to stay in Italy. Many would sneak off in the middle of the night to go on to another country and it got to the point that the authorities were so overwhelmed that they turned a blind eye.

I really do think there's a real gap in what's being asked of them and what they "think" is being asked of them, or confusion over the "why" of what's being asked of them.
    You can't blame them, they're coming from horrific conditions, corruption is rife, they don't know who to trust.

Germany and Sweden are 'rich' countries, with opportunities for work and social nets. Or so they've been lead to believe (I think by the human traffickers).

Just a sad situation all around, and I hope someone of some authority can step in and negotiate between the two parties: the thousands of people and the rules that they have to abide by.
    I'm not sure how willing they are to abide by the rules, given what they've been through (& are still going through).
    anisa, madchives and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/09/sh...ndp-mp-resign/

Fin Donnelly claimed he wrote on Tima Kurdi's behalf for BOTH brothers and their families and that has been proven to be a lie. He knowingly lied to use this situation to attack the conservatives
    He'll get a pass, of course he will. He's not one of those Big, Bad Conservatives who would be crucified by the media if they tried to make political hay by lying about a young boy's death.
    Last edited by DaveP; Fri, Sep 4th, 2015 at 12:16 AM.
    strew, Andit and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

might be a tad off kilter, but then again a lot of my relatives are scottish.
    whole scenario is too startling.

thanks to those who actually know what the heck is going on, ie andi.
    does make one wonder why this gov't didn't notice what alexander has ignored for years,

religion or the lack there of has nothing to do with this topic - dave p
    sort of tired of hearing - we are a country of emigrates,
    nope - we are a country of people who immigrated here
    and took over the land from those who had been here
    forever.

awful to see what people are trying to live with, what
    the heck has this world become?

shutting up now - see you later on
    Last edited by madchives; Fri, Sep 4th, 2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: oh goody a lot of extra spaces, silly sc
    anisa, Andit and Davetherave like this.
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by madchives View Post
    might be a tad off kilter, but then again a lot of my relatives are scottish.
    whole scenario is too startling.

thanks to those who actually know what the heck is going on, ie andi.
    Just trying to show a different perspective from folks who are there vs media who can be biased.

does make one wonder why this gov't didn't notice what alexander has ignored for years,
    Actually, the Cdn govt has been sending aid to Syria for a few yrs now. It's the UN to be blamed for not collectively doing something about IS/ISIS/ISIL (the ones actually causing all the conflict and killing).

sort of tired of hearing - we are a country of emigrates,
    nope - we are a country of people who immigrated here
    and took over the land from those who had been here
    forever.
    Well, technically the only ones who've been here forever are some primitive species of fish & reptiles. Even the Canada geese are immigrants. (sorry, just trying to put some levity into a sad topic)

awful to see what people are trying to live with, what
    the heck has this world become?
    I hate to say it, but I can see WWIII on the horizon. Tensions are already really bad in Europe (not just Hungary, but I've heard stories from folks in Germany & Holland), all it will take is a spark to cause the world to explode.
    strew, DaveP, Tbites and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My Mom called my Aunt this morning to tell her she'd arrived home safely. The latest news is that a group of 100 or so migrants have set out to walk to Germany, because they are tired of waiting for the trains to run. They refuse to be processed and seem to think that Austria will happily let them cross through (they are convinced that Hungary is the one preventing them from going to Germany).

Sigh. My Dad was a refugee. He was bounced around Europe, from one camp to another (no one thought to simply march to the country of their choice and demand entree), until he ended up in Ireland. From there, he lucked out & got a gig on a freighter heading to Canada (even tho he couldn't swim, he was a mechanic and had worked a few months on a tour boat). Once in Canada (& his situation explained), he was processed and sent to Edmonton to work on a farm (he was a city boy who had no clue how to deal with livestock) on a 2 yr contract (ie he had to stay there & work or risk losing landed status). The farmer let him out of the contract after a few weeks (did I mention he was a city boy?) and he made his way east.

Not saying this was a better way of dealing with things, just thought I'd mention how it used to be.

The whole situation is just so sad.
    anisa, Natalka, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Andi, thanks for the input. We have no clue what these ppl have escaped, and what they are dealing with currently. It is not a mess of their own making, and they are in the thick of it trying to save their families.

They are not terrorists, and anyone who implies that their treatment is justified because of perceived terrorist threats needs to go stand in these people's shoes for a day.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    He'll get a pass, of course he will. He's not one of those Big, Bad Conservatives who would be crucified by the media if they tried to make political hay by lying about a young boy's death.
    He seems to have gone into hiding of sorts
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Missing politicians are all the rage, it seems

Name:  joe-oliver-waldo.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  16.9 KB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/miss...ster-1.3213292

Tory candidate and current Finance Minister Joe Oliver has largely been missing from the Conservative party's campaign trail. Oliver — who is running for re-election in the Ontario riding of Eglinton-Lawrence — cancelled scheduled speeches at two Toronto clubs this week and last, including one at a men-only club following criticism on social media.
    Davetherave likes this.
    R

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information