Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By EvilTofu
  • 1 Post By ilovecats
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 3 Post By EvilTofu

Thread: Sephora Beauty Insider is a scam

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

With Sephora Beauty Insider, one gets VIB status for more perks in following year by spending $350 in a giving year.

I have spent nearly $400 last year and didn't get VIB status. Contacted the costumer services several times, the first one just said, "I checked, you're not a VIB". Then the following ones were like, "Someone already told you." I finally resolved to call them out on Twitter, the person said, "Customer service will contact you." Then I was told, "You are not qualified." without explanation.

Here are my spending not including tax:
    4/4 $81.50
    4/25 $79
    8/29 $136
    12/7 $96
    -------------
    total $392.50

There is no reason why I didn't get VIB status.

I'm writing here warn you guys! I received an email in December 2014 from Sephora saying I'm only $55 away from VIB status, which motivated me to made a purchase over $100 with tax on 12/7. It was such a scam. Could have gotten reliable Shoppers Drug Mart points instead.

So what I'm saying is, use Beauty Insider for the free birthday gift. Buy from Sephora only for things that aren't available elsewhere. Don't count on their Beauty Insider program.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Sephora, Shoppers Drug Mart
    barbis9 and lecale like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not seeing why they are saying you don't qualify. Since you've gotten nowhere contacting the company directly, have you messaged and/or posted to them on their Facebook page? I don't believe in doing so on social media as the first step, but when one goes through all other means and gets nowhere, then taking it to their social media is the final step since then everyone can hear what you've done and been told to date, forcing the company to explain themselves.
    barbis9 likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Thanks for telling us your experience.

20X SDM points on that would have been 78,400 or a $85 + $30 = at least a $115 redemption. (At the 50k rate the points are worth $133)

Bonus points would put you even further ahead, we know that.

I wonder if they think you did not make all purchases between qualifying dates...when does their program year start? (I mean that doesn't make sense because all of your purchases were 2015.)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the heads up. I too wondered about the program as I have made purchases always showing my card, yet not all of my purchases are listed. I now only go in for the birthday gift.

As for their lousy customer service - very typical these days.
    Last edited by barbis9; Tue, Sep 8th, 2015 at 03:52 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not a VIB member but I still got the free birthday gift. Everyone gets that as long as you have a Sephora Membership card (which is free). It's best to try and get the same products from SDM because the points (especially on double points days) are a much better bargain. Unfortunately, SDM doesn't carry all the brands but my SDM just announced they are going to carry Urban Decay products !

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    maybe you need to spend $350 within a calendar year to eligible VIB, cause I think I spent more than $350 from last Christmas to Feb,2015; but still I am BI too.
    BTW, I think all Sephora member are eligible for the free birthday gift.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

My bro got his VIB status this year and its absolutely useless. I am still insider -of course because I have never spent a dime there :p and only use it to get my birthday rewards SmartCanucker HA-. But one thing I notice is that we both get SAME e-mail, except mine says insider and his says vib! Well he has not gotten anything for free but I can see a lot of people online says the same thing. Told idiot to buy stuff from SDM! Moeny sucker evil brother!
    #BadSisterTalkingBehindBro
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

So many ppl were so angry about the latest bonus offer. I don't collect the points, so I don't know how the program works in detail, but the latest bonus rewards apparently ran out immediately, and most people who had been making extra purchases in the days before the promo were incredibly disappointed.

Lots of youtube videos out there from ppl who were thoroughly disappointed, and many ppl who were planning on returning their purchases because they had made those purchases with the intent of getting extra points in preparation for the heavily promoted bonus offers.

I saw somewhere where someone was equating the Sephora program to 2% cashback. you don't get much value for the amount of money you spend. You redeem your points for sample size products. If you shop regularly in a department store, you would be getting sample offers anyways.
    walkonby and maiyuu like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The 100 pts are samples and I used some of my points, one of the sample was a face mask and intended for oily skin, Sephora is overpriced, stuff too, I used to like Sephora, maybe I should go to SDM for cheaper cosmetics and the points can be used besides cosmetics!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A Little Update:
    They finally gave me the VIB status few weeks ago after I have given up. Since it's 10 months late, they gave me VIB status until end of 2016. I received 20% off for Black Friday, and $20 off instead of $15 for month of Dec. They do have some perks, but not worth that long battle of horrendous customer service.

I recently learned a new word: Emptication - "sad, useless triumph of getting what you want, long after you've accepted you're not going to get it, and no longer want it."

They're overpriced, but I use Sephora because they are the only one in Canada carrying DERMADoctor KP Duty for Keratosis Pilaris. It's better than the prescription cream from my dermatologist. Their reward program isn't good on its own, but you can get 8% cash back when using it with Ebates.ca. Besides, you can just keep the card and milk that free birthday gift year after year.

They are also known for their discrimination against Asian customers because some people buy SKII products in bulk and resell them in China. Heard so many unjust treatment such as having their order cancelled or sales coupon deactivated solely because they have Chinese last names. I suspect my problem was partly because I'm Chinese. (Google: Sephora Asian bias) Oh, I'm planning to eventually stop shopping from them. Takes time to find my cream elsewhere. Hope SDM will carry more beauty products in the future!
    Thumpersmom, walkonby and Arvilish like this.

Thread Information