User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Thinking of buying a cellphone, which plan would be the best for work calls only?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'v never had a cellphone before, I know sounds crazy, but I never had the need to have one..so I never got one, anyway I was thinking of getting one just for work, which is rare..so won't be making much if any calls..I wanted to know what would be the cheapest plan I could get? for someone who will rarely use their phone? I don't want to pay crazy monthly fee's for something I don't use..

I know nothing about plans etc..I was hoping you guys could help me out...what I should look for etc.
    what would you recommend?

I'm guessing that maybe I should get a plan that only charges me by the phone call? is that possible..
    my brother said there's a plan called "pay as you go" but it only ends up costing you more..:/ idk..

What do you guys think?

-Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby, Shwa Girl and dededi like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If Wind mobile works in your area you can get unlimited calling and text for $25/month
    JDI007, dededi and beachdown like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I use Speakout as well, and I haven't had any problems. Keep in mind that they charge $.25/min and $.25/text. However, they also have Value Plans where you can get 100 mins and unlimited texting for $20.

This site may help.

http://www.comparecellular.ca/

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ok, I used the compare chart..but not exactly sure I understand it..becuase I'm not familiar with these terms. I also have some questions:

looking at Fido, no first month costs, no ongoing month to month cost..which I assume is a good thing? same with PCFinancial.
    Bell I don't even want to consider same with Rogers, horrible companies.

1) Anway, what's the difference between airtime and additional airtime?
    if you pay for airtime with your voucher..then why would you go over your air time to be charged additonal cost?
    or is it like if you're in the middle of a call when your airtime ends and goes over? is that how additional airtime is charged?

2) I also don't get if airtime is free then why do you have to pay for airtime with a voucher? Isn't airtime rate and cost the same thing? this I really don't understand.

3)also what does top up mean, top up your account? is that another word for pay/voucher?

4)and for ex. if I were to not make any calls etc/just not use my phone for the month would I still have to pay anything? if I'm on a montly plan?

5) Looking at the SpeakOut plan, they charge 25c/min where as Fido charges 0c/min ...so isn't Fido a better deal? SpeakOut also charges more per message at 50c, if Fido and PCF don't charge anything for month to month then does that mean they are contract-free? or no?

6) Also, do you have to buy a phone with the company you are signing up with or can you just buy a phone in a separate electronics store?

sorry for being such a dum dum..I'm still reading up on different plans etc.

-Thank you!
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Check out Speakout 711 https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
    @Natalka turned me on to these guys years ago and they offer a prepaid, pay for calls only system where your airtime does not expire for a full year (most prepaids expire your airtime every month and you have to pay again to reload and start again)

I have been with them for 3 years and am very happy. (I bought a phone elsewhere cheap and just got a SIM card for it from Speakout. They have crummy phones.)
    heard good things about 7-11's plan
    plus they offer bonus minutes
    current promotion
    September 1 to November 1, 2015 promotion: $10 off a 30-day value plan for 2 months, then $5 off every month thereafter
    dededi and beachdown like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:34 PM.
    JDI007 and dededi like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh, so the top up card just activates your plan? so if you buy the $25 card you get 100 mins, 25cents on every minute, it lasts you a year because you can use those mins. whenever you want, because you don't make that many calls so you just pay the $25 with no other monthly fee's except the 911 fee. That sounds pretty good actually.

because other plans have vouchers that expire each month, even with lower rates this comes out to more $$$ so it's actually not a good deal.

I don't know what I was looking at with the compare chart, I was looking at Prepaid Plans is that what I should be looking at? I then checked out Talk and Text and that's when I saw monthly fee's. So what are the Prepaid plans? because Fido and PCF don't have monthly fee's for that..it's just by minute but it doesn't tell you how many mins. you have per month...:/

SpeakOut you only pay and use mins. whenever you want, and the voucher is good for 1 year.
    I think this is good for someone who doesn't use a lot of mins. I think this might be very good for me. and if I were to have left over mins. after my year was up do they just expire? or do they stay in my account for my next voucher?

For the phone, I have to make sure it's "unlocked" and buy a SIM card?
    A sim card connects you to your carrier along with your plan? so you just have to buy it once correct? or every year when you buy a new voucher? / if you change your plan during the year do you have to buy another SIM card again?

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it!
    lecale and dededi like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for helping me out
    lecale and dededi like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

dededi likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While discount carrier prices like Wind sounds great... Coverage means reliability and that's very important for me. Talk to your neighbors and co-workers about who they use and what deadzones (areas of weak coverage) they found.

Some discount carriers piggy back off the Telus/Rogers. I think SpeakOut uses the Rogers network.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

a007 -
    if you have a 'wireless wave' store near you, try talking to them. they know all the plans and can recommend what would be best for you. since you've never had a cell phone before you don't know how you're going to use it. you might want to go without a contract at first although then the phone will cost you $$$$.
    anyways, i've always found the staff at wireless wave to be helpful and the most knowledgeable. they're up on all the plans and promotions.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks! I was thinking that too I'll give it a try if it doesn't work out I'll try something else.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My DD has Fido pay as you go and loves it.
    lecale, JDI007 and beachdown like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information