Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Welcome to the frugal chatter thread.

Sharing frugal tips, advice/guidance and general chitter chatter
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

hey maybe with a 2 day head start in here, I'll have more month left at the end of the money!!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

^^^
    Wish it worked that way!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

For all my stressing a few weeks ago, I'm actually coming out of September on top! Let's hope that carries through October, what with a cat to spay and Christmas to shop for! Here we go!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have officially started my Christmas Shopping. Got Mom 2 hair dye last night
    $9.99 (On Sale)
    -$5.00 (WUB 2 on Zweet)
    -$3.00 each (On Snap Save)
    = $4.49/box

Also blanket yarn is on sale Mom will be picking some up for me to make her blanket for Christmas, she also wants a Schoodie but that yarn has not gone on sale yet.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I would love to have my Christmas stockings stuffers all purchased/done by Halloween, I find they are so expensive plus of course Santa gifts, however, I need to check if the source will write Christmas on the receipt and honour that??? should I need to return something

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    hey maybe with a 2 day head start in here, I'll have more month left at the end of the money!!
    haha, I need to transfer funds out of chequing account into savings as some $ was not used and don't want dh thinking that it's a free for all (will do budget when he returns next Monday)

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

That's the upside of being the one that does all the financial management!! The wife doesn't look at the bank accounts unless it's just to check in for her own peace of mind (usually every few months, less if I remember to give her updates).

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    haha, I need to transfer funds out of chequing account into savings as some $ was not used and don't want dh thinking that it's a free for all (will do budget when he returns next Monday)

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Totally feeling this one, I have been putting extra money in our house account to cover our Hydro bills once the weather changes. Mom noticed last night and said oh we have an extra $$$$, I need *whatever, cannot remember now* can I take it out of the house account. I would really like to learn where this whole extra $$$ concept comes from because it never happens in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

QOTD: Other than flyers, how do you find the best deals? Do you shop at warehouse sales? Browse clearance sections of stores?

QOTD #2: I've heard from a few members that their stockpile numbers are dwindling. I haven't bought certain items in a *really* long time myself, like dental floss, shave foam, toothbrushes, face wash, etc. Have the sales not been there or have I been hibernating? How is your stockpile doing?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    QOTD: Other than flyers, how do you find the best deals? Do you shop at warehouse sales? Browse clearance sections of stores? 

I go to Costco periodically. If I'm feeling energetic that week, I'll cross check my prices (with ) against the ones at Costco, and pick up whatever isn't cheaper at Costco at either Walmart or RCSS.

I also chat with some of my friends and if they mentioned finding a great deal then I'll know about it. Otherwise, I get emails from specific retailers/companies. For example, I got an email regarding PopExpo, providing me the opportunity to buy my tickets in advance, at halfprice! Just because I'd been to ComicCon in May! Worked out great!

QOTD #2: I've heard from a few members that their stockpile numbers are dwindling. I haven't bought certain items in a *really* long time myself, like dental floss, shave foam, toothbrushes, face wash, etc. Have the sales not been there or have I been hibernating? How is your stockpile doing?
    I don't know about dental floss, or toothbrushes, but shampoo and conditioner are harder to find for me for those really great prices. I tend to only find it for decent prices, so I'll only grab one or two. I haven't bought toothpaste in over 3 years, and still have a tonne! Organizing my stockpile is on my to-do list though, as there are patches and overflows where there shouldn't be. But considering I wasn't the one doing the shopping for over a year, I'll give myself some leeway

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

While shopping I always keep a look out for deals/clearance. Last week I found boxes of chicken wings and strips on clearance for $4 (all reg price over $10) Stocked up the freezer for my teen when he has friends over and they want a simple late night snack.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

QOTD #2 I hadn't bought shampoo etc in years and was down to my last bottle. Deals aren't like they use to be but we needed it. Bought some for $2.97 less $1 coupon. Then the next week I was offered 800 PC Pts per bottle. Found it on sale for $1.97 so Price matched for $1.97 less $1 coupon plus the PC pts. That's the best I could do. So we are stocked up again! I need toothpaste. But have all these PC pts and SDM pts so think I may just redeem when on sale and stock us up. I hate paying cash for this stuff!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

QOTD: Other than flyers, how do you find the best deals? Do you shop at warehouse sales? Browse clearance sections of store

QODT #1

Viewing the Flyers that are posted early on sc ( THANK YOU couponlady and cyn!! ) is always my starting point.
    Since I do not own any device to show a sale to a cashier I need to wait till Thursday for the physical flyers to arrive.
    Until then I make my list of whatever great things each store has on sale, then prepare to match up those sales with any CO51, Snap or PC Plus offers that come up. If nothing aligns then I resort to PM-ing using any coupons I have.
    I always mean to check the stockpile, freezer, fridge and cupboards before I head out the door, but for some reason I have forgotten on many occasions and that is why my freezer is filled again.

I do for for most part try to avoid any clearance bins in the stores that have non food items in them because if it wasn't on my list then I could not have needed it BUT if I see it marked down then suddenly I am tempted to buy!!
    But.....I always scope out the marked down fresh meat and the reduced produce racks. ( especially @ WM..lol)

QOTD#2

Things have changed a great deal from a few years back when amazing coupons allowed many members here to get so many products totally free! That was the only reason I had a stockpile of cleaners, personal hygiene and many other things in the first place. So now I do not have as great a stockpile.
    I don't buy toothpaste/floss/brushes as I have a great dental plan and the samples they give us always last till the next appt.
    Tbh, we are in the stage of our lives now where we should NOT be accumulating ( or stockpiling ) anything really, but the allure of an awesome sale is just too good to pass up sometimes!! Most of the items I have stocked up on are for the 2 kids still living here, or for the 4 pets.....funny how that happens.

babies teach us acceptance

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Tbh, we are in the stage of our lives now where we should NOT be accumulating ( or stockpiling ) anything really, but the allure of an awesome sale is just too good to pass up sometimes!!
    @walkonby : There is a stage where you shouldn't be stockpiling anything? I would think you'd always need TP. I fully intend to leave LO TP in my will. No, I'm just kidding.

Good for you that you can make dental samples last until the next appointment. We're getting to that stage as I'm confiscating toothbrushes randomly for the cleaning bucket.

I hear that a lot, that there used to be coupons that allowed people to get things for free, but not anymore. I wonder which are the most popular brands among SCers. Did the coupons work for P&G or Colgate-Palmolive or did people go back to their slightly lower cost generics?

Generally, the brands I typically buy don't have a lot of coupons. I wonder if I'll go back to them once the stockpile runs out.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information