User Tag List

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lovely day outside but snow here tomorrow I hear! Did Laundry and DH and I went to Costco. Off to work for both of us this afternoon.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lizzie bargain don't work too hard, snow...geez already you guys normally have warmer temps than in Ontario
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went to gas up on my lunch. It went back down to 91.9 L so I was happy I waited. Then on my drive back to the office I noticed a bunch of kids bikes on the side of the road. So of course I turned around and they were all free! Will post a pick tonight but I should be able to get at least $15-20 for the 3 of them I hope! Chinese food money

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How can one work too hard with 2,5 year old and 2, 11 month old boys?-lol!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Got the afghan done...stayed up til 1:30 but it`s done. I`ve done 4 towels so far today and hope to get a few more done. I`m planning on delivering these next week sometime.
    @lizzie bargain I`m sure you have your hands full.
    @jasperandchar Hope you can get out to stock up on the steak deal.
    @coupon girl Hope you get rid of that sore throat.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @Natalka I can't believe it is October 1st already!!! I made sure to look for the box of hats and mitts so I am ready and it was where I thought it was. So happy I bought all those good HEAD gloves at Costco in June We have a banker box full of gloves and hats so we should be good for the season! Now I need to sort out the winter jackets etc. Still loving mine and youngest still fits in his hockey jacket and has a few back ups for play. Oldest needs a jacket because he "lost" his last year. But he is so picky! So will have to see what we can find. Tonight I am going to make butternut squash soup for the 1st time. I am so excited to make it lol. I plan to store it in mason jars. I will leave room at the top for the ones I'm going to freeze. Has anyone else used the mason jars in the freezer with no problems?

I use to freeze spaghetti sauce in mason jars no problem there
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    QOTD: Other than flyers, how do you find the best deals? Do you shop at warehouse sales? Browse clearance sections of stores?

Well, I certainly check out the "Deals" and "Brags" sections here - especially the "What is the best deal you found this week" part of Brags.

I ALWAYS checkout the clearance sections of stores (if I can find them - I find it is hard in our Walmart, for instance) - Sometimes that's the ONLY sections I have time and interest in checking.

QOTD #2: I've heard from a few members that their stockpile numbers are dwindling. I haven't bought certain items in a *really* long time myself, like dental floss, shave foam, toothbrushes, face wash, etc. Have the sales not been there or have I been hibernating? How is your stockpile doing?
    I really have been finding that I can't find the really good sales to match coupons that reduce the "essentials" personal care and laundry products. I had a real stock-pile but, like you, really need facial cleanser and body wash and I haven't been lucky enough to find these in the last while. I'm finding that I need to pass on the rest of my stock-pile of samples and travel sized shampoo etc. as I have LOTS of shampoo and conditioner left. (Had 2 GREAT BIG bottles of Tresemme that I've been using for over a year.)

I am being told by our Naturopath that dh should be using very specific body cleansers (as the skin is our largest organ). THESE are VERY expensive so I'm on the look for coupons for a totally new type of product these days.

I usually stock up on antipersirants when I can find a really good price and donate them to the Salvation Army as my dh has never liked "flavours" in antiperspirants and my brothers only use deodorant with no antiperspirant qualities. But I haven't done this in a long time either.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @Natalka I can't believe it is October 1st already!!! I made sure to look for the box of hats and mitts so I am ready and it was where I thought it was. So happy I bought all those good HEAD gloves at Costco in June We have a banker box full of gloves and hats so we should be good for the season! Now I need to sort out the winter jackets etc. Still loving mine and youngest still fits in his hockey jacket and has a few back ups for play. Oldest needs a jacket because he "lost" his last year. But he is so picky! So will have to see what we can find. Tonight I am going to make butternut squash soup for the 1st time. I am so excited to make it lol. I plan to store it in mason jars. I will leave room at the top for the ones I'm going to freeze. Has anyone else used the mason jars in the freezer with no problems?
    Good for you with the "cool weather" prep!

I would be very careful to leave enough "expansion" room in the mason jars for when the liquid freezes and also making SURE the bottles are completely cooled before putting them in there. (Hope this helps, or perhaps is just what you already know.)

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

coupon girl - -hey all morning -my brother last night was not doing well he was bleeding and had irregular heartbeat -had more issues than last time 10 years ago when he had surgery -prayers for him -hopefully he is doing better today

I am sending good wishes and prayers your way so that your brother moves along his healing journey more smoothly!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Since we moved to a smaller place, I don't go all out stockpiling at all anymore. When I tallied up my costs when I was stockpiling vs no stockpiling I was pretty shocked to learn that I am now actually spending less. I think this is due to the fact that I am able to redeem a lot of PC points now. My PC point personal offers are pretty good so that helps a lot as well. I gave up coupon trading and don't stress about stockpiling and have a lot more time for baking/cooking so that helps too
    That's a great consideration, momof5boys! I find that TIME is the second thing I don't have much of!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @Angela273 sounds like the babies are doing amazing @coupon girl hope your brother's condition improves @momof5boys very kind of you and your dh not to ask the co-worker to pay for gas, hopefully he does treat your hubby to a coffee once in a while

laundry is hung outside, I've been putting off organizing my pantry in the kitchen (I've done it a couple times but it's not working). Stocked up on brown & white sugar yesterday at Independent for $1.44 a package and need to put them in a mouse proof area so we'll see what I come up with. Also got a raincheque for the butter that was on sale for $2.99 so hopefully I will pick them up when hubby comes back.

Also super excited that Metro has Rib steak on for $5.99lbs, however, I have no way of getting there, hoping hubby gets back by Monday so we can venture out and stock up.

1 of the hunters that pays dh to hunt at his camp called a couple of days ago and wanted to make arrangements to head up next Thursday....sigh...which means dh will have to leave on Wednesday or Thursday which means only a few days at home and many errands to run. Starting to feel overwhelmed.

Supper tonight will be a quick fix (chicken fingers w/ fries) or something of that nature.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day & weekend.
    Does this mean your dh won't be home on Thanksgiving? We once owned a cottage and rented it out but found that all the times WE wanted to use it were the times when people wanted to rent it.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I spent the part of the day that wasn't already spoken for moving things away from the walls in the basement. The last part of the clean-up from our summer water issues is going to happen next week and the workers need access to the walls. Also, our new sidewalk went in this morning, so we're almost finished with the adventure.

I brought up all of my "winter" stored clothing from the closet down there and think that most of it won't fit (sigh). I bought a couple of new winter coats in the past couple of years and I hope I can "bulk up" with sweaters so I don't have to buy new ones all at once.

A friend brought over a lot of clothing she was trying to recycle. She has really good taste and has very nice clothing. I hadn't seen her all summer, though until last weekend. She's also legally blind. So she didn't really "see" that I am not the size I was at the beginning of the summer. I'm afraid that what she brought me is not going to fit. BUT also, her husband managed to spill coffee in the bin. So, I washed what I could, (there was a lovely suit that is "dry clean only") and I will donate what won't fit to our church garage sale. (There were a couple of slips that will fit.)

Tomorrow is my last pre-scheduled wedding until next "wedding season." I'm actually surprised that I didn't get a call from someone who realized that their whole families will be around next weekend and so they might as well get married. (Has happened twice before.) But we've still got time! LOL!

It's an outdoor wedding. But they have a tent. Although we've had beautiful sunny weather for 2 weeks, it's supposed to be RAINING tomorrow with a high of 11. Brrrr. I have a long-sleeved suit but I AM going to take a coat which I will whip off at the last minute. I just about FROZE at a wedding at the beginning of SEPTEMBER!

DH met with his sister and her beau today at the nursing home where their mother stays. I asked him to check about arrangements for Thanksgiving. She took this to be an invitation - which is fine, but we'll have stuff ALL OVER the place after the work in the basement. I was kind of hoping she would invite us there and we could share in the prep. Oh well, I knew we should have picked up a couple of turkeys last week when they were on sale.

DH bought 10 lb. of rutabegas and 10 lb. of carrots today. We like to cook them and then mash them together. He LOVES the taste of rutabegas but I find it a little strong. So - hoping to cook them and freeze them in the next couple of days.

Well, should go and take my doggie for a walk. He's not as enthusiastic as his brother used to be about going out in the evening. We've been covering him up with a "doggie snuggie" which I bought a couple of years ago. That way he doesn't have to wear the cone, which he hates, and he can't get at his stitches, which he keeps trying to lick.

He's a "licker" - I was thinking that there must be a "dog-lick" toy that I could get which would substitute for my face, hands, and his stitches.

Best wishes to all! See ya later!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-rested and read this afternoon -my sore throat is gone now just a cold
    -just called my sister-in-law -they did compression on my brother's chest and woke him told him to stick out his tongue ,wiggle his toes then they put him back under -he has a chest infection which doesn't help (he is not breathing on his own yet)
    -ahh I will ask my mom tonight in my prayers make him strong to get thru this

sat is "ashlyn" party she is 2 on oct 6 but on sat they are having her party 30 adults 8 kids -one of the pre-school teachers is coming with her 2 girls and she is gonna do a puppet show for the little ones -cant wait to go we got her a small red battery car (my daughter and her hubby went in on this with us)so I did spend maybe 20 more than I did last year -but hey we can spoil our grandchildren for sure -it may be a bit crowded cause I don't think we will be going outside when its suppose to rain in the afternoon and be 10 degrees
    -then daughter and her hubby are sleeping over at our house -ahhh I love when they do that

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    For those with a Sobeys close they have the buy 150. In GC get 150 air miles. I did this in te summer and switched all my shopping to Freshco. I have some money in the grocery budget, so I may take advantage of it again
    I did not find this in my flier. Where was it advertised in yours?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I did not find this in my flier. Where was it advertised in yours?
    I think it mentioned in the blog it was for the Eastern provinces. i hope we have this offer in the west soon!

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information