User Tag List

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Definitely good that you got some answers, but it's too bad that you still have to deal with effects from the problem, thriftygranny.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@ thriftygranny Glad you finally got some answers.

We live in a rural very tiny village. Our taxes are over $1500 a year on a small lot with a 150 year old house, no water, no sewers. We do have garbage pickup every other week. Hydro bills are $150-240 a month. We heat with oil on equal billing 10 months of the year @ $243 per month. The only business in town is a garage...for everything else we have to drive about 20 kilometers.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well after reading what people are paying for electricity and property tax things don't seem too expensive here in Calgary in comparison. We pay 2800 per year for property tax and about $70 per month for electricity. TG-don't get me started on properties that people won't sell. My DH and his brother and sister own farmland they rent out-but it also includes his parents and grandparents houses which sit empty. I feel it would be better to sell or rent them-but I am not one of the owners and I am not emotionally attached to them. Oh well I guess over all their property makes money with the farm income but....

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well my taxes are 3,600 a year on a 35 year old 2 storey cape cod 3 bedroom house
    -hydro is 317 for 2 months -so 158 a month in winter usually 200 a month

-yeah just sold a fancy dress(from kijiji) I had for 30.00 -met her in hortons parking lot in pouring rain -I wanted the young lady to try it on in the washroom -so I wouldn't want her out 30.00 if it didn't her -she loved it-it was for a wedding

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

[QUOTE=Frugalbigmama;6488692]
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post

Thanks Yes, I have purchased/sold many houses in my time and have dealt with all this. Depends on the township for taxes etc. And for the most part the properties were more then 1/2 what my taxes were with more land. I thought you always had to have a survey to close a deal? I have always had one.
    Generally there is no survey for large parcels as it would cost thousands, to survey my inlaws 2.5 acres property costed us $5000 so you can imagine something multiple sizes the cost would be well over $30k for sure without a doubt so sadly large parcels are not surveyed
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@thriftygranny glad you got some results/news. take care of yourself.

My mom had a triple by-pass 2 years ago and has a faulty valve, she is constantly fighting water on her lungs and they say that it's too risky to repair/replace the faulty valve as she most likely would not survive the surgery so they are leaving it as is.

Glad to hear you will get a little more quite now that the golf season is ending, I guess that means sewing projects for Christmas pjs, nighties for your grand daugthers, etc to pass the time.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@coupon girl great news on selling the dress every little bit helps.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well I'm super excited I posted that I was looking for Walnut & butternuts and well the people are replying nothing like free food (haha).

My parents will bring me on Sunday to pick up the walnuts, I will need to dry them, husk them and crack them but heck walnuts are $10lbs I believe so free is good.

We are also going to see if we can pick those apples that are the size of a baseball, if he/she says no I will ask for a few to try and start a seedling from seeds as I have never in my life seen apples that size, truly remarkable.

The other lady said she will get back to me as they just dumped a whole trunk load of butternuts (eek) so she will touch base and let me know if her Nan has more to give away. Imagine that dumping them in your ditches...geez...as they say different strokes for different folks.

Tomorrow am I have my pre-op appointment to discuss putting me to sleep etc.

I need to deal with the tomatoes tomorrow as I will need my plywood to dry out the nuts for the next little while.

Jaden will be back from moose hunting tomorrow so I can imagine the weekend will consist of the usual fighting like cats and dogs....argh.

Well of to read a book before bed, wishing everyone a great weekend.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

J&C that's awesome about the walnuts. I had to google butternuts, have never seen those.

About growing the apples, if you just plant a seed from one of the apples, you will not get the same apples - that's not how they work. Most trees are grown from grafts. You will get apples in eight or 10 years, but not the same apple that you got the seed from.

Speaking of apples, our son just came over with a crabapple pie which he 'won' from work from being a great worker - lol, it was a 'secret pie', no one else was supposed to know about it at work, made by his boss's wife.
    It was awesome - it's been ages since I tasted that tart yumminess, and her crust was great.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thriftygranny, I'm glad you got some answers but it sucks that you have to wait to get treatment. The side-effects sound very disconcerting! Wishing you all the best!

Enjoy the lovely autumn leaves!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I will admit I am jealous of your hydro costs, we are rural and on a 2 tier system (no time of use here yet), I read my meter every single month like clock work, I don't use my dryer, our hot water tank is propane and our main source of heat is wood.....anyways my bills range from 150-180 per month. It costs $45 just to be connected to the hydro poles...anyways enough complaining

Oh wow - you mean your bill is that high just running lights and your stove and odd and ends? I'm in shock. Crazy high.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

OK, I'll chime in here - property taxes this year were $2910; water/garbage $53 month; electricity $62/month; gas $45/month Home is 2100 square feet or thereabouts.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Oh wow - you mean your bill is that high just running lights and your stove and odd and ends? I'm in shock. Crazy high.
    Yes just conveniences of a fridge, stove, microwave and of course lights but we don't put the lamp on until it's completely dark, we don't use our dryer or dishwasher pretty sickening to be honest.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Natalka I didn't know that apple trying to grow an apple tree from seeds darn it such a beauty tree with apples the size of baseballs I would have loved to have grew a tree or trees like that one.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    It may be different in Ontario and our cabin is a lakefront property at a popular lake but it is still way too much in taxes for what we get in return.
    Our Waterfront are high taxes too.

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information