User Tag List

Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Sounds like a great way to make the food last to the end!

Food waste-it is an issue at home as one person tends to buy more produce than can be reasonably consumed so I usually spot check it daily or when doing a fridge tossout of items that seem to be in longer than one would need them. I never like finding wilted produce in a crisper (because I'll want to wash the bin if there was leakage or stuck stuff).
    Current issue-two new jars of pickles were seen in use despite a big jar of sandwich slicers since summer (only half consumed) has been sitting in the fridge. Cue argument...as I had put a note on the second jar in the pantry about the open jar in the fridge.
    Love the idea about the note on the pickles in the pantry, makes so much sense and can't be missed
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@cath007 sounds like eve will be stocked for a while, great bunch of ladies on here @YOU AND ME and lilo0003 for kitty food

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Must say I am very impressed with so many peoples food gathering efforts. As for food wastage we try to keep it to a minimum by eating leftovers for lunch, trying not to buy more than we can eat etc. Try to stay on top of what we have and incorporate it into meals. Today we were trying to think of something to have for dinner and decided on ham quiche partly because we had all the ingredients. Will be stocking up on more groceries on Sunday. We are not perfect but try to keep waste to a minimum.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Poop wrt the Blue Jays! Great season, though, gentlemen! Thanks for your efforts!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!

What are you doing to prevent food spoilage???? Are swapping food for other food via facebook groups or amongst family and friends?, trading extras from garden or selling excess stock, participating or doing large amounts of baking at 1 time for present and future use, freezer/batch cooking etc (like @thriftygranny does with her daughters) or participating in a cookie/dessert exchange? thanks

Buying less produce now ( mainly fruit ) I have enough back yard green beans blanched and in the freezer, along with asparagus spears when they had an amazing sale, and cooked whole beets. ( I'm trying to make those the dinner side veggies before I buy other stuff now )
    Ten pound Bags of Spuds and carrots have been amazingly cheap, and my cold room is actually cold enough to store them in.
    No more tubs of ice cream for now, the CO51 offers and sales were making it a bad habit and then the fruit just sits there!
    We still cook in large batches, ( stew, soup, chili, casseroles, nothing gets wasted in that department as the guys pack " meals " for lunches, not sandwiches )

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

DH also does a good job of preventing waste. We had some leftover rice in the fridge so he whipped a veggie fried rice for dinner on Thursday. I am assuming it was good since he and the oldest devoured it. Last night we did an awesome job at eating from the freezer. Bag of tortellini that’s been in there far too long with an open jar of sauce that I threw in when I knew we could not use it and some experimental goats cheese. I wanted to see if it would freeze as I often use that for a rose sauce. Worked great. Along with some frozen Texas toast that I made into bruschetta. Feels good to get that much out at once. Today I am puling the turkey carcass out to make broth. I may make the soup as well. Other than that a lazy day (finders crossed). May hit up Shoppers, it has been a long time since I was in and it’s a 20x day today.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

The new car is great and as my mom used to say Rome wasn't built in a day lol,it will get done when it gets done

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    We do what we can....when we can...it will all get done in good time, I appreciate the fact that you are doing it in strides (when you have the spare time) which makes perfect sense. Great job on another payment on your loc, it eases the mind/worries I am sure.

PS how's the new car?
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

What are you doing to prevent food spoilage???? Are swapping food for other food via facebook groups or amongst family and friends?, trading extras from garden or selling excess stock, participating or doing large amounts of baking at 1 time for present and future use, freezer/batch cooking etc (like @thriftygranny does with her daughters) or participating in a cookie/dessert exchange? thanks

I usually make enough for a couple of meals dinner and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.Also my dd and her family hate leftovers so usually i get the leftovers and i don't have to cook lol
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good day, everyone!

We are really very careful about food spoilage and waste, and rarely have to chuck anything out.
    I keep a close watch as to what's in the fridge, especially with veggies and end up using bits and pieces in soups or casseroles.
    Or if I buy excess veggies at a good price, I will cook them up a bit and freeze them - celery, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, for example - then they are ready to go right into a recipe.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It's a quiet day on here.

Well I experimented cooking pumpkin today. I peeled and cubed 1/2 a pumpkin. In 2 separate 9x13 dishes and into the oven. 1 I seasoned and it was good but not something I could see myself eating often, the guys tried 1 piece and said nope....doesn't surprise me as they are not veggie eaters. The other dish was plain nothing on it as I wanted to see if I could bake something with it. I haven't done the baking as I was tired after all that peeling etc. I also served the steak supper with a combination of yellow & green beans from the inlaws garden which I froze.

So in the next few days I will bake something with the pumpkin and see how that works out. Dh grew 10 large pumpkins so it would be nice to be able to eat them in some shape or form.

Oh and the best part of the pumpkin was the seeds (haha).

Wishing everyone a great evening.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good question ,I try to do menus or to go to the grocerie 3 times a week since maxi and iga are near ,eat what we have and return to the grocery after instead of buying to much.

The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

The colors of the autumn are still beautifull today I love this season,.

Name:  83612dc6055e803b6bfd190647072b84_large.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  133.8 KB
    Last edited by cath007; Sat, Oct 24th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    It's a quiet day on here.

Well I experimented cooking pumpkin today. I peeled and cubed 1/2 a pumpkin. In 2 separate 9x13 dishes and into the oven. 1 I seasoned and it was good but not something I could see myself eating often, the guys tried 1 piece and said nope....doesn't surprise me as they are not veggie eaters. The other dish was plain nothing on it as I wanted to see if I could bake something with it. I haven't done the baking as I was tired after all that peeling etc. I also served the steak supper with a combination of yellow & green beans from the inlaws garden which I froze.

So in the next few days I will bake something with the pumpkin and see how that works out. Dh grew 10 large pumpkins so it would be nice to be able to eat them in some shape or form.

Oh and the best part of the pumpkin was the seeds (haha).

Wishing everyone a great evening.
    Roasted pumpkin seeds are truly the best part - the only reason I carve a jack o'lantern for Hallowe'en.

I thought one had to use the sugar pumpkins for eating? I know they are pretty expensive.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Inquiring mind want to know: Do you decorate for Halloween,donate candies have something planned?

no because i live in appart but i will search discounts deals for candies after halloween!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh is gone for the weekend for training.
    I managed to have a shower this morning while all 3 children were awake. Washed up the collection of dirty dishes in the kitchen. Washed a load of laundry, but still have plenty that needs to be folded and put away. I'd asked some friends over for company and they offered to bring supper over with them. Big brother and I managed to bake 3 dozen carrot muffins. I'm going to freeze 1/2 of them.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information