User Tag List

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Well, I had told you all on here back in the summer about my BIL's cancer, between esophagus and stomach. (he's 64, married to my second oldest sister)
    In the last several months, he went through radiation, and the tumour shrunk a bit. He had gotten a bit of an appetite back (he had lost a lot of weight), and was doing fairly well - though terribly tired all the time - he had always been very active.

He begins chemo this week - and from what I understand, that's going to be a lot rougher than radiation, is that right? I know it depends upon the individual.
    @Natalka : I'm sorry to hear about your BIL's cancer. I've also heard that chemo affects people differently. We can hope and pray that he's one of the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Got some really sad news today that my 38-yr.-old cousin- single mom of 2, has been diagnosed, just Wednesday with acute leukaemia with major complications. She was sent to Windsor to the hospital there.
    @avoncallingu : That's terrible to hear about your cousin, and so young. I hope her treatment goes well and she can get back to her children very soon.
    @Natalka and @avoncallingu : Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Loosing money is always stressful! I hope it turns up.
    @saundyl : Thank you! I still hope there's some bag or some spot that it accidentally fell into, even though I can't think where that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Sweet sparrow sorry to hear you are still coughing i do agree that Buckley's is nasty stuff and sorry to hear also that you didn't find you SDM GC we are always hoping it will show up
    @YOU AND ME : Thank you! I think my cold is getting better slowly. I only wish I didn't walk out each morning, forgetting my cough candies at home.

What a happy day today, it's our son's 24th birthday!
    Wow, the years have just flown by!
    Happy birthday to the "little" one. I think our LO has the same tricycle, except in a newer version.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

avon -sorry about your cousin
    nat-sorry about your bil also -thoughts and prayers for you both

-well a day of rest after 2 days with ashlyn -its tiring somedays -well I got her out twice yesterday morning and afternoon plus she napped yesterday so I got to rest on the couch-my left heel is killing me somedays -maybe a heel spur I am icing it and taking advil -don't want to run to doctor as now no coverage for presciptions will watch it thou if keeps up I will go

my daughter-in-law brought home a shoebox for 3rd world countries to fill for a child -I told her I would do one -we need to remember how much we have in our lives (she said she spent 20.00 last year doing one -I am sure mine may be a bit less as I get deals -we will see )
    -just chilling today -a lot of rain from "patricia" is heading our way now only to get worse as the day goes on

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I don't suppose if anyone knows if the printable Buckley's coupon is still up? I can't print through this computer. I've gone through half a bottle on one cold and it's only October. I'd better buy the bulk package next time.

It's raining quite hard today. I'm dreading picking up LO tonight. Last time, she screamed and cried because we weren't going home the usual way and that put her out of sorts. Then, she pushed off the stroller cover, and screamed and cried because the rain soaked her. When we finally got to the bus stop, she cried for a hug and wouldn't let go. While I was hugging her and mooning a four lane busy street, the bus passed us by and we ended up walking home in the rain anyways. Argh!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@sweet sparrow - You sure work hard in your regular work day just to get to and from work. Hopefully it is a mild winter for you!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Sorry to hear the news about your cousin; prayers and very positive thoughts for her.

It's nice, though, to hear you are having lovely adventures and great family time on your trip!

Well, I had told you all on here back in the summer about my BIL's cancer, between esophagus and stomach. (he's 64, married to my second oldest sister)
    In the last several months, he went through radiation, and the tumour shrunk a bit. He had gotten a bit of an appetite back (he had lost a lot of weight), and was doing fairly well - though terribly tired all the time - he had always been very active.

He begins chemo this week - and from what I understand, that's going to be a lot rougher than radiation, is that right? I know it depends upon the individual.

gah, CA just sucks...
    Nat, I sincerely hope your BIL is able to tolerate the chemo without too much discomfort! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

On a brighter note, Happy Birthday to your son! What a wonderful day that was in your life, 24 years ago!
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I can never print coupons off at work either. I should try at home since I just got a printer for the kids. I am out of Buckley's too (the oldest was using it, he has had a cough on and off for awhile)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I don't suppose if anyone knows if the printable Buckley's coupon is still up? I can't print through this computer. I've gone through half a bottle on one cold and it's only October. I'd better buy the bulk package next time.

It's raining quite hard today. I'm dreading picking up LO tonight. Last time, she screamed and cried because we weren't going home the usual way and that put her out of sorts. Then, she pushed off the stroller cover, and screamed and cried because the rain soaked her. When we finally got to the bus stop, she cried for a hug and wouldn't let go. While I was hugging her and mooning a four lane busy street, the bus passed us by and we ended up walking home in the rain anyways. Argh!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@avoncallingu no rush whatsoever re the soup recipe as I am having surgery tomorrow and won't be in any shape to tackle that for a few weeks at the least. So sad about your cousin,
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    avon -sorry about your cousin
    nat-sorry about your bil also -thoughts and prayers for you both

-well a day of rest after 2 days with ashlyn -its tiring somedays -well I got her out twice yesterday morning and afternoon plus she napped yesterday so I got to rest on the couch-my left heel is killing me somedays -maybe a heel spur I am icing it and taking advil -don't want to run to doctor as now no coverage for presciptions will watch it thou if keeps up I will go

my daughter-in-law brought home a shoebox for 3rd world countries to fill for a child -I told her I would do one -we need to remember how much we have in our lives (she said she spent 20.00 last year doing one -I am sure mine may be a bit less as I get deals -we will see )
    -just chilling today -a lot of rain from "patricia" is heading our way now only to get worse as the day goes on
    @coupon girl have fun doing the shoe box, read the dos and don'ts carefully as there are quite a few items that are not allowed. Our family did this for many years but stopped because they wanted $12 for shipping on top of the shoe box contents. I believe it was Christian (something I can't recall).
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@jasperandchar - Giant Tiger sale started today and they have the frozen tubes of ground beef 4 x 400g on for $10 (Reg $14) Did you try this kind and like it? RCSS still has the same size and price (I'm sure its the exact same) but good to know that this goes on sale! I still have the good stuff in the freezer but since ground beef sale prices are not as regular and the new sale price sucks I think I should get some.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow, J&C!

Sweet Sparrow, hoping you don't get caught in the rain again!

We have to go and pick up our pooch today from the sitter' s. He HATES the rain so I must remember to take his raincoat. I hope he hasn't been licking at his sores. They should be totally healed by now.

I am cocooning and pretending I am still on holiday, but reality calls.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Welcome back avoncallinu! Nice to go on vacation but nice to come home too. I'm sure your puppy will be happy to see you

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @coupon girl have fun doing the shoe box, read the dos and don'ts carefully as there are quite a few items that are not allowed. Our family did this for many years but stopped because they wanted $12 for shipping on top of the shoe box contents. I believe it was Christian (something I can't recall).
    It's an evangelical Christian organization, headed by Franklin Graham (Billy Graham's son) and the shipping is $7. I think it's been $7 since 1996 and that cost has always been there. It's also listed on MoneySense's top 100 charities for efficiency and governance, As and A+s across the board. http://www.moneysense.ca/planning/20...ty-100-grades/

The Christian thing isn't a big deal, I've heard. There are people who are willing to share at the events, but kids are free to come and collect their boxes. A friend of mine taught English in the far east and said children kept their boxes at their bedsides like a box of treasures. You can also travel to one of their distribution events in a foreign country and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @sweet sparrow- You sure work hard in your regular work day just to get to and from work. Hopefully it is a mild winter for you!
    @Frugalbigmama : It's part of the cons of not getting a second car. I keep hoping it will be easier as LO gets older, but the one front wheel keeps falling off her stroller. I'm trying not to spend the $10 shipping, $8 for part for it as I can just stick it back on, but it might be impossible to deal with in the snow!

DH drops us off in the mornings at a -30 min cost to his workday, making him arrive home later and his 2 hour drive more stressful. His might be the biggest sacrifice!

I'm hoping for a mild winter! If we get into the private school next year, there will be no more waiting for buses until public school! @jasperandchar : Is it expensive for uniforms for private school? How small of a wardrobe can I get away with?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes cars are a huge expense. Sometimes I wish I never knew the independence of one. That's why I laugh when my teen thinks he will drop me off at work and have my vehicle all day....hahahaha

Uniforms can be expensive. I think for girls the quilts are very expensive. I lucked out and received a box of like new uniforms for free! (I did drive 30 mins in winter to get them but so worth it) 2nd semester and I haven't spent a dime on uniforms. I am really good to make sure everything is clean and ready. Most days I scoop up what he wore that day and hang it back up. He wears a t-shirt under so it is not dirty at all.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The 7-8am commuting crowd must have seen the worst of the heavy rain this morning. It's steady now but not a downpour.
    Banked the $1.90 collected on my walks yesterday. I found the one Monopoly cup with stickers>one was a cheeseburger prize, so that was part of dinner last night (enjoyed reading the Toronto Sun but not the article about the possible doubling of land transfer tax provincewide if the Wynne government makes changes to municipal powers).

The coughing some of you are dealing with-Mom's still going through spells of it (week 3). She said sage tea did help her somewhat.

Since there were two United Way sections in the Star and Spec recently, I looked at Shoppers Optimum's list of organizations to donate to. I only found one UW for South Niagara. Thought I'd mention it should a member wish to donate points to the UW.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

For uniforms, I think we're stuck with getting the entire outfit. The blouses have rounded collars and there's nowhere else to buy those. Everything else like jumpers, cardigans, jackets, etc., have the school crest on them. The only unisex items are the gym uniforms, which also have the school logo. I think it'll be pretty expensive, but no more buses, and a shorter commute home for at least one year, and then every summer for their summer program.

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread Information