User Tag List

Trading Score
    266 (99%)

So, I bought some snack cakes yesterday from Walmart. My son and I had a Ah Caramel last night each. Today as I was putting them in the bread box I noticed the expiration date. Its for TOMORROW!! Nov 12, 11. I emailed them to let them know and this is the response I got from them.

"Dear Mrs Wellington,

Further to your email, we thank you for your interest in our company and our products. It's always a big pleasure to hear from our consumers

Regarding your AH Caramel cakes "Best Before" November 12th, unfortunately, we can't do anything for you. You could put them in the freezer if you want; they will last longer.

Sincerely

Consumer Relation Services

Saputo

Saputo Bakery inc"

Now, I would have appreciated a sincere apology. I was not asking for a coupon or anything like that (although normal companies send you some for your trouble), but I do not think telling me a "tip" is the right direction to go. I buy these weekly as my son and I like to snack on them at night. But I think for now I'm done with them.

Sorry....vent over.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I think I'd be writing to Walmart rather than Vachon. Still sucks though.

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

I love Ah caramel out of the freezer.. Thats actually where I keep mine when I buy them.. weird I know. I think the chocolate to crunch. lol Sucky that they expire so soon. I would have used it as an excuse to eat em all fast and OD on sugar!!woohoo! lol.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

trust me i've never met a vachon cake i didn't like....those suckers don't really expire due to preservatives
    ....just be happy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My brother lives in California where he can't get tasty things like Half Moons or Jos Louis. He visits us in NS every October, and can easily eat an entire package of those in a day. He's not a fat guy at all, eats well and cycles about 30 miles a day at home, but when he's on vacation, he's really on vacation! He also buys Maple Leaf bologna and eats sandwiches of it, fried! Smells so good, but it won't be in my house until next October. Neither will the Half Moons - when he left last month he left a box with a couple in it, my DS got them in his lunch a couple days, he was SO excited! He never gets junk like that.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It's more of a problem on WM's end, they either had too much stock or didn't rotate. So long as you haven't eaten them all you could probably exchange them for a fresher pack..
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    It's more of a problem on WM's end, they either had too much stock or didn't rotate. So long as you haven't eaten them all you could probably exchange them for a fresher pack..
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Not to be rude or anything, but while I get that the stores are responsible (well, the workers they hire, and the store) to check the dates on their stock, I firmly believe that it's the consumer's responsibility to check the expiration dates on everything they buy; it only takes a quick moment to look first rather than find out after you have paid for it, brought it home, maybe eaten some.

Anywho, if you're not going to eat them all quickly, then yes, freeze them & eat them later.

Lesson learned to remember to check expiration dates.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
    trust me i've never met a vachon cake i didn't like....those suckers don't really expire due to preservatives
    Me, too - and that's kinda true...

It's not an 'expiration' date, it's a best before date - so it's just recommended. Nothing in them in them is going to spoil at midnight tomorrow.
    I'm sure in a week or two past that date, they would taste pretty much the same.

But, as with all things we purchase, it's buyer beware. It's up to us shoppers to check best before and expiry dates.

Trading Score
    266 (99%)

Normally, because I am so anal about "best before" date I always check, but I had a 2 yr old with me I wasn't able to check, just grab groceries and leave.

I was talking to a friend who used to work at Walmart in the grocery and the snack cakes, chips, bread, pop etc is all vendor responsibility and not Walmarts. Because I was going to contact my stores manager to tell her to get her grocery department to do their jobs better.

And I know I can freeze, but I like things fresh, I won't even put bread in the freezer...I just ended up going outside and giving them to the neighbor kids. I like to snack on those and not make meals out of them....my waste band can't take me eating a few boxes at one sitting. LOL

Trading Score
    266 (99%)

Also, my point is, they didn't need to be so dismissive about it either. I wouldn't have been so upset if I was given a sincere apology. Not good CS on their end. And my message was not rude, just informing them of my issue so maybe they can tell their delivery people to keep and eye on it from now on.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishnbill View Post
    Also, my point is, they didn't need to be so dismissive about it either. I wouldn't have been so upset if I was given a sincere apology. Not good CS on their end. And my message was not rude, just informing them of my issue so maybe they can tell their delivery people to keep and eye on it from now on.
    i get what you mean here...they probably couldn't have done anything more for you but sometimes an apology is all it takes to start the resolution even in it's smallest measurement. nice RAOK for the neighbours...now you're not just a crazy coupon lady but the cool snack lady!
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Trading Score
    266 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by $avvy$hopper View Post
    i get what you mean here...they probably couldn't have done anything more for you but sometimes an apology is all it takes to start the resolution even in it's smallest measurement. nice RAOK for the neighbours...now you're not just a crazy coupon lady but the cool snack lady!
    Ya. Except I'm sure they'll be at my door weekly. Haha

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think you can safely eat those cakes next month, they may be a bit dry, but still edible. Having said that, I wouldn't pay full price for something that is soon to expire.

If you want an interesting read, check out a book by Steve Ettlinger called Twinkle Deconstructed. He goes through the ingredients list one by one and explains why they are used in the cake. (I think it was over 60 ingredients, most of which I couldn't pronounce, yikes!)

Thread Information