User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Could there be a possible link between breast cancer and underwire bras?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Read an article today mentioning a possible link between wearing underwire bras and breast cancer. It states that the tightness of underwire prevents the lymph nodes from doing their job and flushing toxins from the body. Breast cancer org. says that bras as a link has been discounted. Thinking of tossing my under wires due to this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Candini and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I`ll take my chances. SIL and a friend both had breast cancer and neither wears underwire bras.
    Silk, Lynn49, seylz_gurl and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I think this is one of those situations were you have to ask a few questions.

"an article today" - where and by whom? Real Research?

" Breast cancer org" - which ones and if above article is based on Real Research have they commented since?

Crochetlady, Silk, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

cancers are the result of heredity or lifestyle choices
    I doubt a bra could be a cause.
    If there is a family history of cancer, there is an increased chance that you may have cancer in the future. That's why the tests are good.
    Lifestyle part - eat a healthy diet, get good sleep, get exercise, don't smoke (any substance, not just cigs), reduce or eliminate alcohol, don't tan inside or outside to reduce skin cancer, etc.
    Crochetlady, Silk, Lynn49 and 3 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Under-wire bras are safe since any-one can get breast cancer..the rate is 1 in 10 of new cases are men. And they are often diagnosed at a later stage too..My non-bra wearing grandmother got BC

Also dogs and cats get BC..

As @Shwa Girl says it's genetics and lifestyle not underwear.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Can wearing a bra cause breast cancer?
    By Caroline Novas

There are several persistent email and internet rumors about potential causes of breast cancer. One is that wearing a bra, or wearing an underwire bra, causes the disease.

The idea that bras may cause cancer was fueled by the 1995 book called Dressed to Kill by Sydney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer. It claims that women who wear underwire bras for 12 hours a day have a much higher risk of developing breast cancer than women who do not wear bras.They maintain that bras restrict the lymph system, which results in a build-up of toxins in the breasts.1 However, according to the American Cancer Society, there is no evidence that compression of the lymph nodes by bras causes breast cancer; in reality, body fluids travel up and into the underarm lymph nodes, not towards the underwire.2 Similarly, there is no sufficient evidence that any types of bras cause breast cancer.

In The Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book, Love claims that the hypothesis about bras causing cancer stems from our desire to have control over areas of life where we have a lot of uncertainty or fear. People want something to blame, and also hope that by avoiding bras they can avoid breast cancer.3 While there are geographic variations in breast cancer rates, there are many, many factors, including diet, exercise, lifestyle, childbearing practices, as well as other behaviors and exposures that are more plausible explanations for these regional differences in breast cancer than bras. In places where people have less access to medical care, breast cancer will not be diagnosed as often, even though it might be present. And because the risk of breast cancer increases as women get older, breast cancer rates will be lower in parts of the world where people die of other causes at younger ages, whether they have worn bras or not.

Even if women who wear underwire bras are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer, a likely explanation would be that many women with larger breasts also tend to be heavier. Being overweight or having a lot of body fat puts a woman at increased risk for breast cancer.4 It would make sense that women with larger breasts are both more likely to wear underwire bras and more likely to develop breast cancer. But this doesn’t mean that underwire bras cause breast cancer!

In a study published in 2014, researchers interviewed postmenopausal female participants about their lifetime bra wearing patterns. Evaluating more than 1,000 women with breast cancer and almost 500 who did not have breast cancer, the researchers found no evidence of a connection between the number of hours spent wearing a bra or wearing an underwire bra and increased breast cancer risk.5

The bottom line: well-designed studies have not convinced experts that wearing bras or underwire bras increase your chances of developing breast cancer. <snip>

Source:
    http://www.stopcancerfund.org/p-brea...breast-cancer/

If you Google the topic, there are many other sources debunking this myth!

Silk
    Have a great life!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^yes that is the book by Sydney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer cited in the article I read by a Dr. Sadeghi. I hoped that this study was not valid but it frightened me.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This old herring gets hauled out every few years and personally I don't believe it. Breast cancer can attack anyone, men, women, the very old and now teens who haven't spent tens of years wearing underwire bras. This came up in the 60s and every so often since then.
    The choice is always a personal one; I for one, won't give them up.
    strew and dededi like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Love the boobies..(o)(o)..
    Candini and dededi like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This myth has been debunked many many times. You don't need to toss all your bras.
    Lynn49 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    Read an article today mentioning a possible link between wearing underwire bras and breast cancer. It states that the tightness of underwire prevents the lymph nodes from doing their job and flushing toxins from the body. Breast cancer org. says that bras as a link has been discounted. Thinking of tossing my under wires due to this?
    I read a similar article , actually the woman had a blog just for organic living. I`ll link it after.

She mentioned underwires in bras as well as sports bra and heavily padded ones.
    Didn`t say exactly the link between wearing them in general, more so the duration of how long you wear it day to day (Wear in bed etc)
    Made me a bit paranoid, I`m quite small so I just opt for bralettes or I won`t wear one.

I`d be more concerned with deodorant with aluminum as that dissolves into your skin, blood stream, directly into the side area of your breast. Which I also use minimally or will use a natural based one.

My grandmother had issues, and now only has one breast and my mother has had problems. So, tjmo

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Candini, this is a very scary world...we're exposed to aluminum in our personal products, make-up, carcinogens in stupid "smellies" that we're inhaling heaven knows what, bath gels (I make my own soap now), commercially made soap (yes, even Dove!). Living a more natural life is absolutely the way to keep ourselves and our families safe. I wish I had known all this sooner, but I'm also thankful I didn't light crap in our home for my family to inhale! There's a reason coupons are out there to urge us to buy poisons for our homes!
    walkonby and Candini like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Candini, this is a very scary world...we're exposed to aluminum in our personal products, make-up, carcinogens in stupid "smellies" that we're inhaling heaven knows what, bath gels (I make my own soap now), commercially made soap (yes, even Dove!). Living a more natural life is absolutely the way to keep ourselves and our families safe. I wish I had known all this sooner, but I'm also thankful I didn't light crap in our home for my family to inhale! There's a reason coupons are out there to urge us to buy poisons for our homes!
    +1

I ask myself this all the time when I scan the inserts? Why so many offers every month for ever changing versions of candles, wax melts, aerosols, plug ins.. and on and on.
    Lynn49 and Candini like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Walks, it's because big business doesn't give a damn about our health...as a matter of fact......the large parmaceutical companies they own actually MAKE money off our illnesses!!
    Does anyone honestly think that those 1% - 10% or our population with all their money actually go around spraying Febreeze in their homes??!!
    Uh, noooo...they buy fresh flowers, use Murphy's Oil to polish their furniture! That's why their houses smell fresh, not because they spray poisonous "Rain scents" or "flower scents" or heaven forbid, their children's rooms with poisonous lilac sprays to help them sleep soundly!!!! Since WHEN do kids not sleep soundly??!!!

Here's some interesting information for those who may not yet be convinced....honestly, if I had my life to live over, I'd surely have done things differently, but it's not too late for young families to "do what the rich folks do" and keep poisons from their homes.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information