User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Best way to purchase a PS4 ?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm looking for some opinions on the "best" way to purchase a PS4 for a Christmas gift.

I currently have enough points for 2 full redemptions (208, 789 points)... but can't figure out if I should buy gift cards first, wait until a mega redemption, wait for a bounce back offer... ugh!!

While I gather lots of points, I'm not so savvy on the spending points part. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Renee
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart
    nash0109, ange410, dededi and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Take a senior with you on seniors day, get the discount, use $170 (95,000) in points and pay the balance with gift cards. You will get 20% off the gaming system as long as it's not on sale.

Even on a bonus redemption you're not going to get more than $50 extra in points (if they are being generous). Using a senior discount you will get at least $80 off the unit assuming it's $399.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sun, Oct 25th, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
    MrsMer, nash0109, dededi and 2 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought mine on a 20x day, redeemed 95000 points, used gift cards to pay the difference and received 20x points on balance.....which got me 45000ish points back (if I remember correctly.) Worked for me at the time because I couldn't wait for seniors day and stock wasn't an issue like it can be during mega redemption day.
    seylz_gurl, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you will receive 20% of your oop total on seniors day. So you will save about $45 if you redeem 95000 points. Please correct me if I am wrong
    Last edited by nash0109; Sun, Oct 25th, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
    seylz_gurl, dededi and Davetherave like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nash0109 View Post
    I think you will receive 20% of your oop total on seniors day. So you will save about $45 if you redeem 95000 points. Please correct me if I am wrong
    incorrect its 20% before redemptions. however the other poster above is also incorrect with the $80 off total as seniors day max is $50 discount. though i heard system can let more go through if cashier types it in so ymmv. ( if it hasnt changed)
    Last edited by bryceton; Mon, Oct 26th, 2015 at 04:17 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapbooker View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions on the "best" way to purchase a PS4 for a Christmas gift.

I currently have enough points for 2 full redemptions (208, 789 points)... but can't figure out if I should buy gift cards first, wait until a mega redemption, wait for a bounce back offer... ugh!!

While I gather lots of points, I'm not so savvy on the spending points part. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Renee
    I bought one last year and it ended up costing me $225 for the PS4, I found one post that I made, but I know I did another post..I forget all the details but I waited until November, SDM usually has a promotion when you buy gift cards for $150 you get 8,000 pts plus you would get the reg pts, not a big deal but when you're making a big purchase it adds up..so I bought $450 dollars of gift cards 24,000 pts plus the reg pts. Went on a 20x the day event, but I also had an SDM gift card for $10.00fromName:  image.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  129.6 KB a previous purchase from SDM..
    seylz_gurl, nash0109 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bryceton View Post
    incorrect its 20% before redemptions. however the other poster above is also incorrect with the $80 off total as seniors day max is $50 discount. though i heard system can let more go through if cashier types it in so ymmv. ( if it hasnt changed)
    I am 100% positive that you will get more than $50 discount. It has nothing to do with how a cashier types it in. The computer does all of the work and it gives the full 20% off which is more than $50
    seylz_gurl, nash0109 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

From Shoppers website: *Discounts apply to our regular prices on all merchandise purchased by seniors and their accompanying family members with a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes sale items, prescriptions, insulin, products with codeine, tobacco products (where applicable), newspapers, stamps, lottery tickets, event tickets, Life Experiences®, transit tickets and passes, electronic gift cards, passport photos, prestige cosmetics and fragrances, prepaid phone cards and milk in Atlantic provinces. Discounts may not exceed $50.
    dededi likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"Discount may not exceed $50" is only listed as a deterrent...it does NOT matter how much you buy that is regular price....you could buy $1000 worth of stuff before tax and get $200 off...that is the way the system works. Just sayin'!!
    CrazyQT, seylz_gurl and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LimeFizzy View Post
    "Discount may not exceed $50" is only listed as a deterrent...it does NOT matter how much you buy that is regular price....you could buy $1000 worth of stuff before tax and get $200 off...that is the way the system works. Just sayin'!!
    Exactly! thank you.
    seylz_gurl, LimeFizzy and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another thing to consider is what ps4 bundles are available. I got one 2 Christmas ago and got a bundle with 2 free games. Also, some stores are better than others with their electronics stock so they have multiple bundle opinion.
    seylz_gurl and dededi like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@OP.....look up the cheapest price in Ontario, and PM at Best Buy. You can also checkout EB games for a used system

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone, I'm going to wait until a 20X point day and do the max redemption along with it.
    Tommycoupons and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LimeFizzy View Post
    A few years ago at one location, manager insisted that senior discount max amount is $50, he instructed the cashier to manually adjust the discount amount to $50. I didn't go through with the transaction so I don't know if it can be done.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^if the senior comes with me ....can you still put it through as your own purchase with your optimum and credit card? what age is it to qualify as a senior? (thnx scrapbook for posting this as was mulling this over too.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information