User Tag List

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree3221Likes

Thread: November 2015 Frugal Chat Thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

I had my much needed appointment with my shrink, I had a good cry in his office AND then he threw something out there at first I was taken aback, etc. He asked if my husband was lazy (jaw dropping).

He said that people that are lazy always have excuses for why they cannot tackle or do chores, etc. It could be tired at this moment, have other things to do at this time, more pressing items that need to get done (that don't get done), that can wait I'll tackle this (but it doesn't get done). They need to relax because ....and on and on.

He said that people that are ill atleast want to do chores (things around the house) but are not always able to but do things BUT do get things done in strides (as they are capable) but they get things done.

He told me that if things were affecting my mental health that ONLY I can take control of my life and take care (ah ha moment, I knew this but I guess needed someone to say it outloud). He told me that I either needed to accept that things would not get done by dh and move on OR tackle things myself. He said that if the person did not like how I was doing something they could redo it whenever they get around to it (haha) or help while I was doing the project.

So moving forward, I started today.

Thought I would share as I know some of us have issues getting others to help around the house.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just made a xmas basket up for my hairdresser -will see her next week hubby and I need haircuts
    -cost of baskets and goodies in it 22.64(I listed what was in it under xmas thread)

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Just had the furnace and fireplace serviced today - cost $215.25.

Curious whether the readers here have their furnace serviced every year. Ours was making a bit of noise, so I shut the furnace off for 10 days until the guy could get here (ran the fireplace for heat). He said a pressure switch had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully).

Normally, just the furnace service is $135 + tax. Does this sound about right?
    Sounds reasonable to me. We had our furnace looked at once, bc DH couldn't, it was $80 for the call and part (it was a friend, we paid cash, service price was lower than usual). DH used to apprentice for that man, but then exited HVAC trade for auto. DH usually does all the checking at our place. Every once in a while his time will outweigh the cost and we will fork it over to someone else (a friend or previous employer if possible). Hope that helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    just made a xmas basket up for my hairdresser -will see her next week hubby and I need haircuts
    -cost of baskets and goodies in it 22.64(I listed what was in it under xmas thread)
    The basket sounds lovely. I read about it in the Christmas thread.
    Last edited by Granger; Thu, Nov 12th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Congratulations, Sassy Ashley! I am so excited for you! I am glad your skills are being recognized and rewarded!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Just doing the shopping list - not much necessary, but will do the most shopping at Co-op because they have some good BOGO deals - rice, sausage, canned tomatoes, tortillas - and a $20 Co-op gift card WUB $20 of Pepsi related products (includes snacks, etc.), so that will necessitate buying some junk food, lol!

Hoping everyone has a good day!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@cath007 : I hope your friend values your friendship and apologizes for hurting your feelings. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also the highest weight I've ever been in my life.
    @SassyAshley : Congratulations on your promotion!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    This TOD switch is killing me. Everyone is home and active between 5-7. When I came in the door at 6 today the house was lit up like a Christmas tree. I no longer say anything I just walk through and start ing off lights, I hope it sinks in. I did come into dinner prepared by the oldest so that was a welcome bonus.
    @lilo0003 : I'm dreading our November bill too. With LO running around now, she races from room to room in a circle, so I turn on alternating lights so she doesn't trip, but it's still a few lights being on unnecessarily. DH loves to leave the computer on as well if he turns it on, thinking it'll wear out the computer if he turns it on and off. I get really upset if it's been on for 12 hours and no one has been on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    2 cents in CT e-money earned too-I know just pennies...
    @Ciel : One older gentleman I know once told me to "watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Just had the furnace and fireplace serviced today - cost $215.25.

Curious whether the readers here have their furnace serviced every year. Ours was making a bit of noise, so I shut the furnace off for 10 days until the guy could get here (ran the fireplace for heat). He said a pressure switch had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully).

Normally, just the furnace service is $135 + tax. Does this sound about right?
    @momof5boys : That price sounds about right, but I'm in Ontario. We have our furnace serviced every year and that's $100. Then, we have to buy a new filter from them, which is $60, plus one for the humidifier, which is $30. My parents' old furnace would take the 1" thick filters from the hardware store. Unfortunately, ours is a 5" thick, pleated one, that has very specific dimensions. They made sure the store bought ones didn't fit!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Nancy I think sometimes it is hardest to see things in the people closest to us.

Another Mom story, she is freaking out about me travelling more and we have discussed a plan to get the house in order before I leave. Well the plan was to go shopping tonight and we would work on the house tomorrow. Well last night she is like instead let's go shopping Saturday then you do not have to do it after work when you are tired. Me being tired last night came back with so you have hired fairies to clean the house on Saturday, she was shocked but it seemed to get my message across that we needed to stay home Saturday if our plan will work. So we are now shopping tonight and Saturday if will be devoted to working on the house.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We had our furnace serviced this summer when we found that our air conditioner didn't work. I'm not sure how it works, but the air runs though the house all year and gets filtered through our furnace. Our filter was clogged with dust which shut down the air conditioner as a precaution!

As an update to my lost gift card, I never did find it, but I did manage to come across some extra money:
    $3 found in shopping carts these past few weeks
    $10 found by DH at the gas station - he was going to return it to the attendant, but then didn't think that anyone would come back and report missing $10
    48,000 points potentially from the SDM promo for buying GCs for my parents, DH's work costs, and some for our household to use throughout next year.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Well, whether I like it or not I am now into Christmas mode.

Last night I ran into one of the like 5 Shoppers close to our location I was working out of to check and see if they had the pills everyone including them have been out of. Much to my surprise the production issue must be over as they had 10 boxes on the shelves (yes I think I might have heard angels sing), granted I know they are cheaper at Wal-Mart but was not going to take the risk and paid the $5 more per box. I am hoping with all the wonderful suggestions I have been given (Thank you Ladies) if I can get it to clear up maybe just maybe I won't end up here again.

Figured well I was there and the gift card promotion was on why not do my Christmas shopping, I have learned it is the only way to go with my family. I ended up getting way more then I needed but figure I can keep the extra in my stockpile for myself. Maybe trick myself into some treats for me. Maybe I won't feel so guilty about stopping at Tim's if I use a giftcard, I know it will never be a regular thing for me but if I can treat myself once in awhile on the road why not. Plus I feel like I will spend more time on the road then most of us think I will.

Tonight when we go out I will grab a few more things as I was not sure what to buy my Half Bros gf, or my cousin's little girl so they have sent me some ideas so I will grab a few things tonight.

Better get back to work have a great day everyone.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Congratulations Sassy on the promotion!! I hope you settle in and find it less stressful.
    Nancy, good advice form your shrink, It took me a while to accept some things that I couldn't change and it makes a huge difference in how you tackle the frustrations.
    Not so frugal day today, but a fun one, I am taking my oldest daughter and her family to lunch for a just because day!!She works far too many hours and took a day off today. I am looking forward to it.Will stop and pick up a few groceries, we are doing our batch freezer cooking on Sunday so need some supplies. I also want to take a quick drive out side of town and cut some willow branches to spray white for an outdoor Christmas urn I am planning in my head!! If am too dizzy to drive I will see if one of my daughters will take me tomorrow!!
    Happy Friday, this week flew by!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I went grocery shopping $160 later I'm fine with it, got some fresh chicken breast, and tons of staples so pretty pleased.

I wanted to start decorating the house for Christmas this weekend but I'm a little concerned because the dogs still have fleas and I'm constantly vacuuming all over and can't exactly move the tree (without breaking ornaments).....and sadly I know dh would have the tree on 24hrs (yes I'm serious) I can just hear the hydro meter vroom vroom. So may only decorate closer to the end of the month.

I guess I will see how the weekend progresses and I could have helpers (the boys).

I'm planning on painting the bedroom and bathroom doors in the next week.

Question -

My mom bought my youngest a laptop last year for his bday and is giving me $ for an xbox1 for my eldest but the amount she is giving me is quite a bit less than what was spent on my youngest, what should I do? I'm extremely grateful but it makes it ackward as eldest know what she spent on his brothers laptop???? AND I don't think it's fair to spend $450 on 1 grandchild and $300 on the other. Like I said I am very grateful but it truly bothers me.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Congratulations Sassy on the promotion!! I hope you settle in and find it less stressful.
    Nancy, good advice form your shrink, It took me a while to accept some things that I couldn't change and it makes a huge difference in how you tackle the frustrations.
    Not so frugal day today, but a fun one, I am taking my oldest daughter and her family to lunch for a just because day!!She works far too many hours and took a day off today. I am looking forward to it.Will stop and pick up a few groceries, we are doing our batch freezer cooking on Sunday so need some supplies. I also want to take a quick drive out side of town and cut some willow branches to spray white for an outdoor Christmas urn I am planning in my head!! If am too dizzy to drive I will see if one of my daughters will take me tomorrow!!
    Happy Friday, this week flew by!!
    Take it easy, let your daughter drive you - you can chit chat and it's not worth feeling fine 1 moment and then 30 minutes later not feeling so great, it's not worth the chance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-jasper I remember my mother-in-law buying my son a shirt when he was 4 and my daughter was 6 and got nothing -my mother-in-law loved the boy grandchildren -I wanted to say something and my hubby said let it go -so we did

-went to walmart today spent 100.00
    -oh and bought ashlyn little people slide village 38.00 -used my checkout51 money for that

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

J&C, you sound better, which is great! Put that Christmas tree on a timer!

About gifts from grandparents - it's wisest to have parents stay out of it. Maybe over time it equals out, but if not, that should not really matter. If your kids bring it up, then they need a talk about gratitude.
    As coupon girl - and this girl - said

So nice to have the sun out for most of the day here, even though it's quite cool.
    Decent temps for the weekend coming, though - so not like usual for here, and we usually have snow on the ground.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Inquiring mind want to know:
    Do you believe in searching love in dating sites
    Do you believe in loving a person you never met but talking on the net for 1 years at least
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information