User Tag List

Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By chillys-willy
  • 5 Post By ChristieJ
  • 3 Post By chillys-willy

Thread: Food Banks that Issue Tax Receipts for Donations (Food, toiletries, etc)

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Hi all!

I know alot of us donate to food banks regularly. I was hoping to compile a list of food banks that issue tax receipts. Those of us that donate to those food banks can know to keep our receipts so when we donate, we can receive a tax receipt. As far as I know, you won't receive a tax receipt unless you have actual receipts for items you donate. It would be also helpful to know if the food bank issues the receipt for before coupon totals or after coupon totals.

Here is a start:
    Ontario
    360 Kids - wish list: https://www.360kids.ca/program-wish-lists/
    Missassauga Food Bank
    Markham Food Bank
    Burlington Food Bank

Quebec
    Share the Warmth, Montreal - $1000 min

Saskatchewan
    Friendship Inn of Saskcatoon

Alberta
    Inn From the Cold, Calgary

BC
    Richmond Food Pantry

NWT
    The Food Bank of Whitehorse (Donor Form on website)

Please feel free to add to the list.
    Let's see if we can increase food bank donations and help ourselves too!

Here is some more info. on taxes:
    How you benefit
    The Government of Canada as well as provincial governments offer support to those who have made donations or charitable gifts during the tax year. For example, the federal tax credit is 15% for donations below $200, and 29% for donations above $200. Generally, your tax savings will be equal to the amount of the charitable tax credit calculated.
    Further, if you’re a first time donor, you may be eligible to receive an additional federal tax credit of 25%. Yet, despite these sweeteners, Imagine Canada suggests that not very many Canadians take advantage of the tax credit: “in 2010, only 23.4% claimed the charitable tax credit, down significantly from the almost 30% who did so in 1990.”
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by chillys-willy; Mon, Feb 20th, 2017 at 07:19 AM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, spanishpoet and 3 others like this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do food banks really give tax receipts for donations of food (if you have a receipt)? My understanding of charities is that they don't give tax receipts for donations in-kind, only cash.
    super_e, ROMEO, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Yes, they give receipts if you can provide proof of what you paid. Only some charities do this, hence the list above.

I have also added 360 Kids, as it is a great charity and it has a food bank for youth in need. I also found their wish list. You might need to contact them to check if they have a minimum donation. I have worked closely with this organization in my profession and I believe they are an excellent charity to donate to.
    Last edited by chillys-willy; Mon, Feb 20th, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
    ROMEO, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Thread Information