User Tag List

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Costco has a LeapFrog LeapPad 3 for around $90. I was thinking of buying one for my 4 year old and 6 year old to share. Does anyone have any experience with the LeapFrog system and would you recommend it? I see that cartridges are sometimes $20-$30 which seems like a lot! Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Our Grandson enjoyed his Leapfrog for a while, but with so much on the internet, he mostly used his parents' ipads. He got his own last Christmas, he was 6, and it's his constant companion. I mean...constant!

Although I have very little experience, I do remember that it didn't hold his attention for very long and he loves all sorts of games and adventures.

Hth....

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have to agree with Lynn a co worker had one for her kids and said it was very limited and ended up buying her kids tablets as they always wanted to be on her Ipad not their Leapfrog

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would buy a cheap tablet instead. Or a secondhand one and spend the extra money on a really, really good case.

The cost of a half-decent tablet and case will cost less in the long run than a $90 leap pad plus $30 cartridges. There are so many free or very cheap apps that will do the same as a leappad cartridge but for less money and you can't lose an app the way you can a cartridge.

Tablet over the leap pad, all the way. So much more versatile.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not all tablets are created equal.....two things to consider: storage size, and the memory / processor. People usually just focus on price, but you get what you pay for if you cheap out. You will be surprised at how quick you lose storage space

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

my daughter got one when she was 4 she's now 8 and still enjoys it occasionally, i like how all the games have an educational base (some sort of learning-math, spelling, memory...) and if shes going to be playing games i'd rather they be learning games then random games.. though i will say she's not really into gaming like some kids are(we have no other game systems in the house)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Midnightly, you're right, not all games are created equal, and when I said our Grandson enjoys his ipad's games, like other kids, there are 'the good, the bad, and the ugly' for PARENTS to choose from.
    Just because it's an ipad or tablet doesn't mean there aren't free, downloadable, educational games.
    It's still all in the parents' control..

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I've been through it all in terms of devices.. Initially I bought the leapfrog and it didn't take long for boredom to set in.. Part of the issue was that there were certain levels or "items" that my ds could get but the actual system would tell him "go ask you parents" or something to that effect.. I spent too much time on downloading the software to my own computer and then updates and plugging it in to a computer etc.. I eventually sold what cost me well over $500 on kijiji for $200.. I was sooo thankful someone else wanted to buy it all..

I would suggest a DS or 3DS - there are a bunch of games.. I am using 8 yr olds first DS (he has 3) for my 1.5 year old and was able to get a couple of sesame street learning games at ebgames for $10 each.. I have math games and reading games as well - good thing Ds keeps his games organized that we can use it 5 years later..

Tablets are great as well - but the cheapest Ipad is $400 after taxes.. So for sure start with a Nintendo DS if you're not comfortable spending as much.. I also think leapfrog may be too childish for a 6 yr old.. I can imagine how excited a 6 yr old boy would be with a Nintendo handheld though..

Quote Originally Posted by CouponLover618 View Post
    Costco has a LeapFrog LeapPad 3 for around $90. I was thinking of buying one for my 4 year old and 6 year old to share. Does anyone have any experience with the LeapFrog system and would you recommend it? I see that cartridges are sometimes $20-$30 which seems like a lot! Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    Last edited by LisaLisaBoBisa; Wed, Nov 18th, 2015 at 11:12 PM.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I was wondering about this as well, and I think from the responses, I will hold off on getting anything like this. Last year DS insisted he wanted a 'Robo Dog' more than anything in the world. (He saw it on his favourite show Paw Patrol). The thing cost more than one hundred dollars and he's played with it a handful of times. He was disappointed that his didn't fly like the one on the show.

We have decided that this year we are going to really limit what we give DS. He gets a lot of toys from family so we are going to focus more on clothing and books. Instead of giving him a big gift, we're doing a family gift of Disney Infinity 2.0 and 3.0. We have the 1.0 currently and a ton of characters and the whole family has enjoyed playing with them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would go with the secondhand tablet with a child proof case. If they end up not using it as much, i think it is easier to re-sell than the leapfrog.

Thread Information