• 3 Post By rockco
  • 1 Post By rockco
  • 2 Post By Decaf
  • 2 Post By rockco

Thread: Shoppers ACER Laptop Specs & Query Re Gift Card

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do Shoppers BONUS Gift Cards have expiration dates?

On November 28th, Mega Redemption, get $50 Bonus Gift Card if purchasing the ACER @ $379.99.

I'm trying to decide between the HP & ACER, so I've been doing some price & bonus analysis & technical comparison. The $50 bonus GC would be great, but difficult to use up quickly if it had an expiration date.

If you're interested, here's my comparison. (2gb RAM is not worth any purchases, too slow)

HP 15.6 8gb 1tb DUO Celeron N3050 1.6Ghz Windows 10 5400rpm
    Name:  HP.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  37.4 KBName:  HP Analysis.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  33.0 KBName:  HP Specs.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  74.5 KB
    Almost same HP laptop with N3700 processor is $599.99 (sale $449.99) @bbuy.

ACER 15.6 8g 500gb Quadcore Celeron N2940 1.83ghz Window 8.1 5400rpmName:  ACER Product fx.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  43.9 KBName:  ACER Specs FX.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  34.1 KBName:  ACER Analysis.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  31.3 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Microsoft, 123inkcartridges.ca
    Last edited by rockco; Wed, Dec 2nd, 2015 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added ACER Aspire Tech Specs
    4sure5, amira84, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

without knowing full details acer is likely what you want. it does have less space but a quad core is typically much better than a celeron..
    rockco, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I believe these bonus sdm gift card have expiry dates. I have done a couple gift card flyer promos and their sdm bonus gcs always have an expiry dates.
    rockco, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    I believe these bonus sdm gift card have expiry dates. I have done a couple gift card flyer promos and their sdm bonus gcs always have an expiry dates.
    Anyone know what the duration of the Bonus GC might be?
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I would recommend hp over acer just from personal experience with the laptops & notebooks around our house. Keep in mind as well that sdm does not offer extended warranties.

On another matter but somewhat related (see below)

I was at the source inquiring about the Acer tablet that is on sale on this coming Sunday only and the lady and the man both working there said pay a little more and get something of better quality.

best of luck with your decision
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Nov 26th, 2015 at 06:39 PM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bryceton View Post
    without knowing full details acer is likely what you want. it does have less space but a quad core is typically much better than a celeron..
    OK, got it. I researched and Celeron N3060 is a dual core. I would prefer the QUAD Core and 500gb is sufficient for laptop purposes. It’s probably 1.6ghz which is slower compared to others, but still functions without frustration (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I would recommend hp over acer. Keep in mind as well that sdm does not offer extended warranties. I was at the source inquiring about the Acer tablet that is on sale on this coming Sunday only and the lady and the man both working there said pay a little more and get something of better quality.
    Yes, I’ll pay a little more for a good quality reliable desktop. I'm getting the laptop with my SDM points so I would have a backup, low use unit. My VISTA desktop died 2 weeks ago, and I had to borrow a laptop to get things done. ACER is definitely an economy brand, I was hoping the HP at SDM would be at par technically at the extra price, but it is not the case.

All this input is helping me solidify my plans, ACER vs HP & Sr. Discount vs Redemption Event.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Regular price of that HP laptop is $499.99...

I have an Acer laptop but it didn't even have a DVD drive...you get what you paid for.

To give you an idea of Acer, this is the spec on the 4GB/500 model I bought last year.

Acer Aspire E1-510-2669
    Intel Celeron quad core N2920 (up to 2.0 GHz, 2M cache)
    15.6" HD LED LCD
    4 GB DDR3 L memory
    500 GB HDD
    802.11b/g/n+BT
    4 cell Li-ion battery.
    Windows 8.1
    rockco and dededi like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

to be fair both hp and acer make crappy and ok computers. they both use cheap parts. both come with a 1 year warranty and i have uses both
    acer- shipped parts for free (desktop) and had to install and ship back old parts( they had a slower option for non teksavvy people)
    hp- tablet warranty was excellent. tablet stopped working two days later got a new one with new warranty shipped via ups
    Decaf, rockco and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rockco View Post
    OK, got it. I researched and Celeron N3060 is a dual core. I would prefer the QUAD Core and 500gb is sufficient for laptop purposes. It’s probably 1.6ghz which is slower compared to others, but still functions without frustration (I hope).

Yes, I’ll pay a little more for a good quality reliable desktop. I'm getting the laptop with my SDM points so I would have a backup, low use unit. My VISTA desktop died 2 weeks ago, and I had to borrow a laptop to get things done. ACER is definitely an economy brand, I was hoping the HP at SDM would be at par technically at the extra price, but it is not the case.

All this input is helping me solidify my plans, ACER vs HP & Sr. Discount vs Redemption Event.
    If the Acer $399.99 rest of the week price is still a sale price you won't get a further SR day discount on it. Also, call the store ahead of time and verify that the bonus GC offer is still available. I have had issues in the past with the GC (and BP if they offer them) only being offered during the duration of the 2 say sale.
    Just something to think about also.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Thu, Nov 26th, 2015 at 07:44 PM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I got $100 gift card last week with PS4 purchase, and that was regular gift card they loaded $100 in it. So I believe gift card with laptop will be also same type. Those $10 promo cards are different and sure they have a short expiry.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks to all for sharing your information.

I got the ACER Aspire 15.6 500gb 8gb RAM since it was too good a deal to miss.

Net, paid $155 including earned points & $50 bonus GC. Paid $379 less $200 (95k mega redemption), got back $50 bonus GC (no expiration) and redeemed coupon for 18,500 wus $100.

I've updated my earlier post with the specifications for this ACER Aspire 15.6 model (in case other are interested for future purchase).
    Last edited by rockco; Sun, Nov 29th, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
    Decaf, FrugalKris and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Upcoming Dec 5th has a better promotion for the ACER Aspire E-15 than the promotion on Nov 28th.
    (I wish I had waited).

On sale $349 and you get 20x points (=$119), plus regular points and any personal offers.

UPDATE: Removed my excel with incorrect calculations on 20x
    Last edited by rockco; Wed, Dec 2nd, 2015 at 01:29 PM.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

You only earn 20x on the balance ($350-$170=$180 * 20x= 36000 points).

I think you did better with the $50 GC, unless there's somehow a 18500 or 16000 or 22000 personalized offer...
    rockco and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    You only earn 20x on the balance ($350-$170=$180 * 20x= 36000 points).
    I think you did better with the $50 GC, unless there's somehow a 18500 or 16000 or 22000 personalized offer...
    @Decaf , thanks very much (I got myself confused!).
    Decaf and dededi like this.

Thread Information