User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: waste prevention tips and recipes

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    we don't eat our veggies fast enough and they are quite expensive these days.

Recently i've discovered that i can freeze ripe banana and i was afraid that they would brown from exposing to the air but they did not. Cut them in about 1/2 to 3/4" thick, lay them out on a tray with parchment or wax paper, immediately put them in the freezer about about 1-2 hours, then remove them into a ziploc bag. They make great smoothie - frozen banana makes smoothie nice and thick vs. fresh banana. Of course you can use them in banana bread.
    I like to buy garlic in bulk like 1kg mesh bag when it goes on sale. Share with my mom then i pulse the rest in a food processor to a fine dice consistency then spread it out on a plate or tray then into the freezer. Once it's frozen, put it in a tightly sealed container and back into the freezer. When you need just a small amount of garlic you can get it out of the freezer.
    This is genius! I hate having to peel/cut garlic every time I need a little for a recipe. Why have I not thought of this!
    SnowFlakey and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

we also do the same thing to make bread crumbs that we use in our meat balls recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    One more thingy. Bread. Both of us dont like eating the ends of a loaf of bread so what i do is dry them on low heat in the oven until dry (or you can put them in the microwave) and them put them through a blender. And voila you have great bread crumbs!
    SnowFlakey and Davetherave like this.

Ashley Gorecki
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Take any fresh vegetables and various meats and put it on naan breads to create a pizzas.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Buying fresh herbs can be quite expensive. Ive noticed that i dont always use them up before they start going bad. So what ive been doing lately is when i see the herbs starting to go, i spread the leaves out on a paper towel, place it in the microwave and zap it for a couple of minutes until the herbs are dry. Then i put them in an air-tight jar. Baby food jars are great for that.
    Davetherave likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

This is a great article. 27 ways to make your groceries last as long as possible. Worth the read!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/27-way...975#.smjZMGKdA
    harbie, barbs, SnowFlakey and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information