User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By djc3791
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By Manuela Santon
  • 1 Post By DeViLzzz

Thread: Advice for buying cheap gaming PC?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm trying to spend less than $800 on a gaming PC capable of playing Fallout 4, I realize at this price I won't be able to run it at full specs.

I thought I had found one at Tiger Direct but 5 weeks after ordering it I got an Email yesterday telling me they can't fill the order.

Any advice on where / what to buy or not buy would be appreciated.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to build my own, and price is very much an object, so please don't just tell me to spend more.

I live in the Toronto area if that matters.

Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: Tiger Direct
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

just curiously... why specifically a PC?

an $800 gaming PC would probably get you a machine that would be comparable with a current console.

You can buy a PlayStation 4 bundle for $369 this very day
    *($369 includes Star wars Battlefront + other SW titles at Best Buy --- OR with the Nathan Drake Collection at The Source)

and then buy Fallout 4 for about $70 (Costco or Amazon) or for $80 with no tax if you buy it from the Playstation Network online.

Either way, you're about $500 after taxes, etc -- AND you're gaming perfectly fine PLUS have Battlefront to boot (if you shop at Best Buy) -- you've just saved $300 off your spending limit.

OK... so maybe you dont have a decent size TV? good point... Take that $300 and go buy a halfway decent 32-40 inch HDTV. It'll be better than a 20-22 inch monitor you might get with a PC bundle.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Dec 20th, 2015 at 07:42 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The other perk to a console is not having to deal with Windows, half-assed drivers, miscellaneous crashes, performance incompatibilities, etc etc. A console is a far more stable gaming option
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Dec 18th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

get a i5 processor with a 970gtx and you will be able to run it in full HD
    dededi likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

djc3791 go to the NCIX message boards and tell people what kind of pc you want and they will help pick out parts for you. NCIX price matches btw so you can get a better deal doing that. If you want them to build it I believe it costs $50. Also when you make a purchase from them you will get NCIX points that are worth money and can be gained also by just by clicking on the weekly newsletter and doing what it tells you to do. Oh and the key to any good pc build is do NOT cheap out on the power supply. Hear me loud and clear. Do NOT cheap out. Yes there are affordable power supplies that are good but the key is getting those from certain key brands. Do not use generic power supplies that come with a case.

Oh and an $800 build? I might try to put one together for you here at some point but I am too tired. Good luck with your shopping.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey! Prebuilt computers are terrible value for money! If you build yourself you can have something very good value for money and it is pretty easy! Check this out, although it goes a bit over budget. You should be able to play most new games (including fallout 4) on high.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($157.98 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($40.25 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.00 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($47.56 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($279.00 @ Canada Computers)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.02 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $864.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 23:45 EDT-0400

Thread Information