• 3 Post By nicolthepickle
  • 2 Post By torontogal12
  • 4 Post By beerlover
  • 3 Post By ilovecats

Thread: Accused of wrong doing.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at a major nation wide retailer this weekend and had an item that scanned wrong. The manager of the store refused to honor scop and falsely accused me of tampering with the store price tags. Then, he was willing to sell me the item at the lower price, and claimed he would open up a cash register to serve me when I said I was not going to wait in line again. Instead of doing that, he put the item on the counter of a closed cash register and walked off. I walked off to shop at other stores in the mall.

I have spoken to head office (the retailer's head office) and made a complaint and am to contact them next week when they speak with staff at the store.

Not only am I offended and insulted, I am being accused of wrong doing.

Do members of this forum have any advise?

Thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, Ciel, DaveP and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

WoW! I don't know what to say except keep after the head office of the store in question and keep meticulous records including writing down exactly what transpired in the store (add the time, etc.) the more information the better. If you are dismissed, I always let them know that I will tell my story to whomever is interested including the local newspaper. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
    ROMEO, Ciel, mandy403 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Also, feel free to name the retailer and location. Not only does that warn others but it also provides incentive for companies to clean up their act. None of them like negative reviews on the internet that can be seen by thousands.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

How can you tamper with store tags on the shelf ? Don't they have the UPC/SKU and the description of item on those tags ? Are they saying, you made some tags at home and placed them on the shelf ?

So even if they are accusing you of switching tags, you can't really alter the UPC/SKU & the description, the SCOP is based on that also, not just the price.

Quote Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
    I was at a major nation wide retailer this weekend and had an item that scanned wrong. The manager of the store refused to honor scop and falsely accused me of tampering with the store price tags. Then, he was willing to sell me the item at the lower price, and claimed he would open up a cash register to serve me when I said I was not going to wait in line again. Instead of doing that, he put the item on the counter of a closed cash register and walked off. I walked off to shop at other stores in the mall.

I have spoken to head office (the retailer's head office) and made a complaint and am to contact them next week when they speak with staff at the store.

Not only am I offended and insulted, I am being accused of wrong doing.

Do members of this forum have any advise?

Thanks in advance.
    ROMEO, toronto166, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

From my understanding I am being accused of switching tags in the store. The item that scanned wrong this past week was for $3.99. Not only did the store not honor the scop policy; I am taking the manager's accusations against me very seriously. The manager claims this is the fourth scop I have asked the store for, when I'd asked him of the other scops he got very angry and couldn't answer my question.

I will be speaking with head office later in the week.

At this time, I will not post the retailer's name and location, that could change in the future.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Their security cameras may or may not be able to back you up on this.

I work for a major chain. If one thinks it is rare to have customers do exactly what you are being accused of, one would be incorrect. It happens just a little too frequently. In some cases, I think people think SCOP automatically applies...but if the tag description (UPC, description of item, size, etc.) doesn't match, it's not SCOP. If item is with a shelf label that isn't for that product, does the store have to give one that price just because the item is there? Not necessarily....it's not for that item. Something has to protect stores themselves from people who are out to scam the store.

I know one worker who said she had been through her department that morning. She knew where there were empty spots (none of the product in the store), what had to be ordered, etc. Someone tried to get something for a cheaper price than the shelf said. The worker knew the spot was empty from that morning where customer claimed to have gotten the product. When she went to check, some of the product beside the empty spot had been moved to the empty spot. Customer did not get their way with the price. Not accused of moving it themselves (though evidence was there that it probably was them), but the store did not give in to giving them the price they expected as the shelf/register were both correct for the product.

There was another day that there were Actifrys on display on one side of a display, roasters on another. The price signs were correct for both products. Dozens of employees had walked by that display that day, and never once did one see an error with the sign (and they wouldn't have as it was correct). Then along comes someone with the Actifry, which of course scanned correctly at the register. Claimed that's not what the sign said. It was checked...and it was clear someone had ed the sign around so that the $10 part of the sign was now over the product that was $280. Funny how only one customer saw this? And dozens of workers didn't? It was suspicious, to say the least.

I myself have watched a customer move product down from one peg to another. They left, I moved the product back to its correct peg.

Shelf labels get moved around...product gets moved around...product gets placed where it shouldn't (both by employees and customers). Actual tags on products get removed by customers and placed on items they don't belong on. One cashier told me that she had a customer a couple weeks ago with shoes. When she opened the box to scan from the tag on the shoes in the box, she noted the tag was not on the shoes but just lying there. Customer had removed the tag from one pair of shoes, taken the tag off the ones in the box, and put these other tags in...so trying to pay less than $25 for a $50 pair of shoes. Customer's mistake? The tag for the shoes was for a different brand of shoes, not the brand in the box, and the cashier caught that. Cashier matched the shoes up with the outside of the box and scanned the label on the box rather than the tag so the correct price rang up. How does one know the customer did it? Customer said nothing when she was charged the correct price. Clothing? Have had customers actually switch the price tags on the clothing for a cheaper price. Again, if the cashier is paying attention, one may catch that the description on screen isn't matching up with the product. Same with price stickers - customers take a sticker off one thing and put it on another. Mistake there is if they take a sticker from off something in one department and put it on a product from another department, not only is the department not going to match up, the description on the register isn't going to match up to the product the cashier is scanning.

Good luck with your fight with them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Turn water into wine. Now you can get something for free for your troubles and embarrassment. IMHO the only way to make you feel that you didn't waste your time and the only way that the manager will learn is to request the item for free. I do it and I receive it. If it is $50 or less ask for it. Speak with the President or Vice President of the company, I don't waste my time with front line or management at this point. You did it correctly the first time and management blew it. I find the Presidents and V.P.'s have excellent customer service, they are phenomenal. My motto is to have no regrets. Good luck.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

How do you contact President of Loblaws i.e. Superstore? There is something really bad happening to me but I just don't know where to go. I don't want to disclose too much info though!
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    How do you contact President of Loblaws i.e. Superstore? There is something really bad happening to me but I just don't know where to go. I don't want to disclose too much info though!
    Hard to go directly to the top right away - ideally contact customer service by phone, explain your issue and if you need to escalate higher do so - you might just have to keep asking to go to a higher and higher supervisor - you can, and always take the name of the person you're speaking to.
    ROMEO, Decaf, toronto166 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

From my understanding I am being accused of switching tags in the store. The item that scanned wrong this past week was for $3.99. Not only did the store not honor the scop policy; I am taking the manager's accusations against me very seriously. The manager claims this is the fourth scop I have asked the store for, when I'd asked him of the other scops he got very angry and couldn't answer my question.

I will be speaking with head office later in the week.

At this time, I will not post the retailer's name and location, that could change in the future.
    doesn't matter if its the fourth Scop or 40 th scop, if the tag price is wrong and a legitimate scop, they should be honouring it. The moment a scop is claimed, they are supposed to remove the tag and put the correct tag in front of it.

not your fault they have wrong price tags all over the store. Correct the price tags in your store, do your job and there won't be a scop, very simple.

the upc, description, sku etc also has to match the product. So you can't claim a scop, just bcoz the price tag in front of it was wrong. As wrong product can be placed in front by mistake by employees or customers.

i usually compare the last 4 digits of the Upc to that on the tag, if I think the price seems odd, to make sure its the right tag and product.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Dec 21st, 2015 at 10:33 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't have any advice for you, but I shop at Superstore every week, and about a third of the time something scans wrong. I always ask for scope. It's happened at least 25 times that I can remember.
    It happens so much that you'd think they could hire another worker to check tags for all the "scop" they have to give out.
    Last edited by nicolthepickle; Thu, Dec 24th, 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Decaf, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am not sure what happened here from your description.

Was there a price tag sticker on the actual product? If so, SCOP does not apply if there is a sticker on the actual price tag that scans differently on the item. I am not accusing you of tampering. I am saying that they will never honour it in that case. No reason to accuse and walk off. What did the head office say?
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The item had a shelf tag and was not individually tagged, it scanned wrong.

Spoke with head office immediately after this happened, at that time I was offered the product for free and was told that the manager is willing to give an item on scop. Given the accusations and the way I was treated by the manager, I told head office staff that my complaint is not only about not honoring scop, the way I have been treated is also a part of the complaint.

I asked head office to speak with the store's owner and the regional management for the store in question. Head office staff had spoken to the owner of the store and again I am being offered the product on scop. As for the manager's behaviour, that issue has not been addressed. I was told that a complaint is reviewed by head office and I understand that head office wants to leave the complaint at that and give me the product on scop. I am not accepting this, and have told head office to speak with the regional management personnel of the store in question. In short, I now want this complaint handled by more senior level staff.

The store is a Shoppers Drug Mart location. I will be speaking with SDM's head office staff next week.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The item had a shelf tag and was not individually tagged, it scanned wrong.

Spoke with head office immediately after this happened, at that time I was offered the product for free and was told that the manager is willing to give an item on scop. Given the accusations and the way I was treated by the manager, I told head office staff that my complaint is not only about not honoring scop, the way I have been treated is also a part of the complaint.

I asked head office to speak with the store's owner and the regional management for the store in question. Head office staff had spoken to the owner of the store and again I am being offered the product on scop. As for the manager's behaviour, that issue has not been addressed. I was told that a complaint is reviewed by head office and I understand that head office wants to leave the complaint at that and give me the product on scop. I am not accepting this, and have told head office to speak with the regional management personnel of the store in question. In short, I now want this complaint handled by more senior level staff.

The store is a Shoppers Drug Mart location. I will be speaking with SDM's head office staff next week.
    When it comes to what happens or does not happen as far as personnel issues go, they do not have to tell you what they have or have not done with respect to any disciplinary actions or whatnot due to the privacy act. This is the same, whether it be Walmart, any other retailer, or any other company.

Thread Information