User Tag List

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: 2016 financial resolutions.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to put $50 a week aside to pay off my credit card before 2017. I have been saying I would do it for years, but hopefully this is the year it can actually happen! I'm also going to try to cook more dinners at home by meal planning each week. I need to remind myself that even if i spend more than usual on groceries to make this happen it's nothing compared to how much you spend on one dinner when ordering take out / going out to dinner, because you feel lazy or don't think you have anything good to eat.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ah...gotcha. Thought you were looking at overseas

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydoodle View Post
    Two smaller trips within Ontario and a bigger one to British Columbia.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1_love View Post
    I'm going to put $50 a week aside to pay off my credit card before 2017. I have been saying I would do it for years, but hopefully this is the year it can actually happen! I'm also going to try to cook more dinners at home by meal planning each week. I need to remind myself that even if i spend more than usual on groceries to make this happen it's nothing compared to how much you spend on one dinner when ordering take out / going out to dinner, because you feel lazy or don't think you have anything good to eat.
    Good idea. We love to cook and eat lol and still shop smart and eat well. Planning is key. Good luck!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have been thinking about this for awhile. DH has been off work for a year and a half now thanks to a car accident. (Distracted driver ran a red light and t- bone the driver door, car totalled). We have been living off savings as our insurance will only willing pay for his therapies. Thank Goodness for his private insurance- it covers our mortgage, his cell phone bill, and half of our groceries. We are living rather bare bones as it is, so:

1). To make, use and repair anything that can be easily fixed with a bit of time and/or elbow grease.
    2). Meal plan becomes the law of the land- NO WASTED FOOD- so make plans for leftovers too!
    3) Use my fabric pile as my clothing shopping place! I have enough fabric to make jeans or cords for myself and DS, so If mine die or he grows- we are covered! Just finished PJ bottoms yesterday.
    4) List more on Kijiji
    5) This also goes with # 4- Clean out the garage. There are lost of things in storage there that could make us some $.

With his injuries, most things fall on me so I think this is a manageable list for me.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I have been thinking about this for awhile. DH has been off work for a year and a half now thanks to a car accident. (Distracted driver ran a red light and t- bone the driver door, car totalled). We have been living off savings as our insurance will only willing pay for his therapies. Thank Goodness for his private insurance- it covers our mortgage, his cell phone bill, and half of our groceries. We are living rather bare bones as it is, so:

1). To make, use and repair anything that can be easily fixed with a bit of time and/or elbow grease.
    2). Meal plan becomes the law of the land- NO WASTED FOOD- so make plans for leftovers too!
    3) Use my fabric pile as my clothing shopping place! I have enough fabric to make jeans or cords for myself and DS, so If mine die or he grows- we are covered! Just finished PJ bottoms yesterday.
    4) List more on Kijiji
    5) This also goes with # 4- Clean out the garage. There are lost of things in storage there that could make us some $.

With his injuries, most things fall on me so I think this is a manageable list for me.
    Good luck! It is amazing how much stuff you can sell and
    build a little pile of money. I have been doing so for years but am really going to get rid of stuff we don't need in the new year, I'm ready to downsize just need the kids to grow up lol.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry to hear about your hubby....hope he recovers fully soonest! You mentioned cellphone, fair to say you guys are down to 1 cellphone then, and is your insurance premium affected by this incident?

4) List more on Kijiji

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Thank you both for the well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    Sorry to hear about your hubby....hope he recovers fully soonest! You mentioned cellphone, fair to say you guys are down to 1 cellphone then, and is your insurance premium affected by this incident?
    Didn't see it upon renewal this past fall. But who knows what may happen next year. We have a lawyer and he has been negotiating all of the ins and outs of the case. For example, we are on our fourth adjuster, so our insurance has not been playing nice. He was not at fault, and the lady was charged, but police didn't show up for court=charges dropped. Not sure what will happen.

As for cell phones- I love tech, but do not wanted it near my brain. (Radiation is real people. And worse when you put a cell in a protective cover. Just sayin'- preaching over ) . But, I have one, pay as you go, bare bones $100 all in for minutes/text and phone where the $100 credit last for 365 days. Only immediate family have my phone. (I got it in case DH needed me for some reason). The way I use it, the credit will last a year!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Jan 1st, 2016 at 01:12 AM.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

4) List more on Kijiji

I'm with you on the meal planning... we eat a lot of take out because I'm too lazy to cook when I get home from work. I have a goal to eat healthier in the new year as well so planning healthy meals will help with that as well.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

One of my biggest goals is to get back into coupons again... I was really big into it a few years ago but I stopped, and MAN do I miss the savings!! I still only shop the sales and I stock up when the price is right but I miss the deals I used to get
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My first goal is cut down on our eating out when we are paying. I will still be eating out as my job requires travel but work covers my meals when I am on the road.

We need to meal plan as well as plan and cook ahead, we have 3 freezers we need to use them to our benefit with homemade frozen meals.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have never been one to "eat out" a lot unless it's some special occasion. I have a professional career in charge of people, am a single parent, a male and also volunteer, and still manage to cook everyday. I find proper planning is key, and when I think how far that restaurant bill can go if I buy grocery, it's a no-brainer.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

4) List more on Kijiji

We ate a lot of take out this summer as we both got hurt In a quad accident and I had to work as well as being hurt and lacked the energy many days to cook.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks @saundyl for posting 2016 thread

My 2016 goals are

1. save up for powder room renovations so no debt, we have the tiles, the vanity

2. put all of dh's pays to save up for vehicle maintenance to pay for the (body work/paint job, the springs, tune up) - DONE

3. Start to price match again, I've slacked off the last year and use snap save/checkout 51 (no cell phones here)

4. Get in the habit of taking meat of out of the freezer the night before so no boxed food (processed foods) which are expensive anyways

5. Save up my pc points, sdm points, swag bucks etc and only redeem for Christmas gifts, this saved us $1200 for gifts/expenses in December which was such a blessing.

new goal as of February 2016

6. Put dh's pays aside for home renovations - master bedroom & ds2's old room are being renovated in Early April

7. Make purchases via swagbucks to earn swagbucks and save them for Christmas.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Tue, Feb 16th, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

4) List more on Kijiji

so sorry to hear about your husband and his accident, may 2016 be the year of financial changes for your family.

I love your #1 resolution, it's so true we started this in 2015 and what a difference it makes. Taking care to clean things properly or even put them away carefully makes things last long. Especially in the "disposable" world we live in where things are no longer make to last or be repaired but thrown out and replaced.

Small things such as wiping the doors down or walls down regularly save you from having to repaint, etc.

Best of luck

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    thanks @saundyl for posting 2016 thread

My 2016 goals are

1. save up for powder room renovations so no debt, we have the tiles, the vanity

2. put all of dh's pays to save up for vehicle maintenance to pay for the (body work/paint job, the springs, tune up) approx. $5500

3. Start to price match again, I've slacked off the last year and use snap save/checkout 51 (no cell phones here)

4. Get in the habit of taking meat of out of the freezer the night before so no boxed food (processed foods) which are expensive anyways

5. Save up my pc points, sdm points, swag bucks etc and only redeem for Christmas gifts, this saved us $1200 for gifts/expenses in December which was such a blessing.

I'm sure there will be more to come as some of the resolutions are met primarily #1 (powder room) and #2 (vehicle repairs/maintenance)

I'm prepping for my grocery shop tonight with pming AND notice that the boots I purchased ds2 and the jeans I purchaed for ds1 are on sale 20% off so I called Marks and they said to bring my reciept and they will reimburse the difference should amount to $30 which will pay for some jammies dh has his eye on.

Just a note that marks will reimburse for up to 14 business days after purchase so worth keeping an eye on the flyers, stores and website!!!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information