User Tag List

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
Like Tree2595Likes

Thread: January 2016 frugal chat thread

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ just got a notice with our utility bill that water and wastewater has gone up 9.5% - WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot!!! Gah!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    ^ just got a notice with our utility bill that water and wastewater has gone up 9.5% - WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot!!! Gah!
    Waste water charges too? Im glad those r still part of taxes here!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yup - it's awful - our city utility bill which includes electricity, has been over $160 for the last two months - never ever has it been this high - it was tough enough when it started going over a hundred! We're in a smaller place, with one less person (our son who used tons of electronics), so it's not our usage.

Good morning, everyone! Temp is up into the low minus teens, so very grateful for that!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Andit so sorry for your loss of your Bff's Dad

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

In our house lazy meals are whatever is in the freezer. We have been really careful lately when we cook if something is getting to the last day it can be eaten it gets tossed in a baggie and put in the freezer for later use. Usually in these cases there is only enough for one person as they are leftovers but it is great for those I really do not want to cook nights. This will be anything from a soup, stew, pasta sauce, rice, quinoa so sometimes 2 packages must be mixed to make a complete meal.

Since these are frozen and usually not planned ahead I take them out in the baggie, place the baggie in the sink with cold water and let it sit for about 20ish minutes (or time it takes me to shower) and then I can heat up and dinner is served.

I also use the same method to defrost meat if we forget to take something out. Since we buy in bulk and food saver all our meat we lay it out as flat as possible when we freeze it then I just pop it in the sink for about half an hour, depending on the meat it is either defrosted or defrosted enough you can work with it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know????

What is your go to meal in a pinch? ie forgot to take something out the night before...or just feeling lazy.

For us it's Bacon and eggs! Never a complaint when I serve that! Always have bacon in freezer, eggs in fridge and bread (usually) in freezer to make toast if not fresh.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    gah is right, what is the world coming too???

Here in rural Ontario with low density hydro users pay ridiculous amounts for Hydro and not to mention that Jan. 1st the delivery/distribution went up again and they took off the 10% discount, removed the debt retirement BUT added .89 cents per month for smart meters, the rates went up in general and .75 cents per person per household to cover low income hydro subsidies and I'm sure I'm not remembering soemthing.
    @SassyAshley are you also low density hydro? ie rural rates which are higher for delivery/distribution which equals double to high density (people who live in the city)
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Tue, Jan 19th, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hello! I have just over 4 Lbs of extra lean beef thawed to make taco meat tonight. So tacos tonight since my youngest loves them (oldest too but he is at work so he will eat when he gets home and will have for dinner tomorrow night)

Will do laundry tonight to keep up on it. Starting a box/planning up coming birthdays/holidays etc. My plan is to prepare the month before. Bought a V-Day card yesterday . And started getting stuff for my oldest's birthday.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Nancy no I do not, we are actually on a smart meter.

I must say I am super annoyed by the number of articles and so on that I have seen within the last few months where people say Ontarian do not care about Hydro usage. I care there is just nothing I can do about it. Especially now that I travel there are 3 locations I go between often and 2 of the 3 make it so I do not get home until after 5 so I have no choice but to cook dinner during High Peak, since I got to bed between 8 and 9 so I can repeat my routine the next day I have to eat during High Peak. Just really annoys me

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I hear ya @Natalka and @SassyAshley , hydro bills are a big ole sore spot in my backside too. I always get to giggling softly when I am up cooking a big batch of something in the the wee hours and then going down to switch the laundry over. Makes me feel like I am beating them, but every time they are granted an increase I lose my SH*T!!!
    Where has January gone to btw?? I suppose my sciatica thing had me out of the loop a bit, so glad there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel, I can sit o.k. now Will start my Feb slate ( budget ) clean! January has been sort of a mess.

babies teach us acceptance

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Hello everyone, back from a long hiatus (yet again). Christmas was crazy busy and the following holidays were hectic. I see everyone's been busy on this thread and I apologize in advance for not being able to catch up.

In case anyone wondered, I did get my necklace from the US. I was able to get 20% off with a price match, free shipping to Canada through DH's work, and no US transaction fee on the CC. Unfortunately, with the poor exchange rate, it worked out to adding over 36% to the total. It wasn't what I was expecting. This newer version is smaller and thicker than my old one and there is a noticeable difference in my familiar friend.

Well, I suppose I like having it back in whatever form it's in. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to get it. There was a report that gold was at it's lowest in six years and the dollar is worse now than it was last month.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Our go to is always bacon and eggs or any variation of breakfast for dinner. Groceries costs are low for us now because DH is not eating much. I cleaned out the freezer on the weekend and found a quiche so that has been my lunch this week. It was also good to see what we had on hand as I realized we have no ground pork or ground beef, so I need to watch for deals.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Andit: So sorry to hear about the lost of your BFFs dad. Do take time to celebrate your transplant.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I still have to think twice when I read about 'hydro' - because we don't have it, I only hear the term when I'm reading or hearing stuff from the east.

We don't have the peak hours thing with electricity, but I think it will be coming.

It was on the news here that last Saturday night set a record for natural gas usage - breaking the previous record which was Jan. 4 last year. Saturday the coldest temp in Saskatoon was -37, windchill was -46.
    We were beat out for first place in Canada, though, by Meadow Lake, which was a few degrees colder.

SO happy that is over - hopefully - for now, anyway. It's warmer today, thank goodness!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello folks!

Going to run in a few minutes to go for supper with my brother. We are then going to a presentation about Balance. He has CP and I worry about him falling, especially in winter. I am glad he decided to go. He has a walker but is reticent to use it.

Got to run.

Catch up later.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread Information