User Tag List

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree2595Likes

Thread: January 2016 frugal chat thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@coupon girl have a great time
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    good morning ladies! Nice to get a little break from the colder temps today. Struck out again at WM though. Was heading home after my Physio and figured 10:30 was their usual time and hoped to find something on their $1.00 reduced rack cart but no employee had even started to go through the mountains of produce that was piled in the back counters. As I headed back out I walked past the celery and almost fell over, it was $3.99!! No soup making for me this week.
    @walkonby if you use celery often I would suggest when the prices are lower in the summer canning some, it's super easy and quite handy for soups, etc.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@jasperandchar I am just kicking myself for not dehydrating a large mason jar full when i had the chance, but I just NEVER thought celery would be something that would soar in price? If I find ANY on a great sale I am getting the dehydrator out!

babies teach us acceptance

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Just went through and skimmed the updates from Christmas. I'm sorry to hear all about the illnesses and deaths, pains and medical issues. I wish every Christmas could be the best Christmas ever, for everyone, with all of the good and none of the bad.

Thoughts and prayers for all the friends who've lost loved ones, family members remembered at Christmas, and medical issues that just keep coming back.

I know this Christmas wish is late, but better late than never.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @walkonby if you use celery often I would suggest when the prices are lower in the summer canning some, it's super easy and quite handy for soups, etc.
    Would freezing it work too? Or too much water in it?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I'm hoping this Christmas will be as frugal as the one just past. On a really good year, I always think "How am I going to top that next year? There's no way!" Besides an old post about what I spent on nephews and nieces, I really saved on LO.

One of her favourite gifts was a Royal Doulton money ball. I received two as gifts long ago so I gave one to her. On her first Christmas, one of her aunts forgot to shop and gave her a roll of newly minted loonies. This year, I opened it for her and she loves putting in the shiny coins, taking them out, putting them in, taking them out....

Her big gifts were a kitchen set and a train set. DH was driving by and saw a play kitchen in perfect condition that someone had put out on their lawn. He sent me a photo and asked if I wanted it. It was of the back and all I saw was a big plastic square. Ha ha! I don't know if I want a big plastic square.... He brought it home, hosed it down, and it was in perfect condition. It didn't have any accessories, but I gave LO all the baby spoons, empty yogurt containers, take out trays and she "cooks" us meals.

The train set was from a co-worker who's son had finished with it. It was a $75 set from TRU, but when I opened the box, the smell of smoke hit me and I was so disappointed. I couldn't possibly give it to LO with her allergies, rashes, and asthma. I read websites where they recommended treating it with baking soda but never really eliminating the smell. I washed over 50 pieces with soap and water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. After I left them out to dry for the day, I didn't smell a thing! Now LO has a new train set!

Finally, another co-worker heard about my difficulties finding a tree (small, with lights) and said she had one in her living room that she wasn't using as she had others. LO now has a new tree with a big red button to turn the lights off and on. Boy was she sad when the tree came down this month!

LO also wanted red ornaments to decorate. I went out during Boxing week to find some, but they were all blue, gold, or other colours other than red. My workplace had leftover candy canes that they were getting rid of after Christmas, and HR said I could have them all. Yay, red decorations!

Next year, I suppose LO may not want to have the theme of "stuff mommies and daddies find by the side of the road" but, until then!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Would freezing it work too? Or too much water in it?
    What I do is sautee onions and celery together, and freeze portions of that. I still have some left from last summer, when celery was plentiful and cheap - not that I foresaw it getting pricey, I would just have too much since I wasn't making many soups and stews in the summertime.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    What I do is sautee onions and celery together, and freeze portions of that. I still have some left from last summer, when celery was plentiful and cheap - not that I foresaw it getting pricey, I would just have too much since I wasn't making many soups and stews in the summertime.
    Thanks! I have frozen it too and used it in stir-fry before but wondered if people didn't like the way it tasted etc.
    I may try growing some this year!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I'm hoping this Christmas will be as frugal as the one just past. On a really good year, I always think "How am I going to top that next year? There's no way!" Besides an old post about what I spent on nephews and nieces, I really saved on LO.

One of her favourite gifts was a Royal Doulton money ball. I received two as gifts long ago so I gave one to her. On her first Christmas, one of her aunts forgot to shop and gave her a roll of newly minted loonies. This year, I opened it for her and she loves putting in the shiny coins, taking them out, putting them in, taking them out....

Her big gifts were a kitchen set and a train set. DH was driving by and saw a play kitchen in perfect condition that someone had put out on their lawn. He sent me a photo and asked if I wanted it. It was of the back and all I saw was a big plastic square. Ha ha! I don't know if I want a big plastic square.... He brought it home, hosed it down, and it was in perfect condition. It didn't have any accessories, but I gave LO all the baby spoons, empty yogurt containers, take out trays and she "cooks" us meals.

The train set was from a co-worker who's son had finished with it. It was a $75 set from TRU, but when I opened the box, the smell of smoke hit me and I was so disappointed. I couldn't possibly give it to LO with her allergies, rashes, and asthma. I read websites where they recommended treating it with baking soda but never really eliminating the smell. I washed over 50 pieces with soap and water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. After I left them out to dry for the day, I didn't smell a thing! Now LO has a new train set!

Finally, another co-worker heard about my difficulties finding a tree (small, with lights) and said she had one in her living room that she wasn't using as she had others. LO now has a new tree with a big red button to turn the lights off and on. Boy was she sad when the tree came down this month!

LO also wanted red ornaments to decorate. I went out during Boxing week to find some, but they were all blue, gold, or other colours other than red. My workplace had leftover candy canes that they were getting rid of after Christmas, and HR said I could have them all. Yay, red decorations!

Next year, I suppose LO may not want to have the theme of "stuff mommies and daddies find by the side of the road" but, until then!
    Good job! I am having fun shopping for my niece that is under 2. I bought her the cutest little pink umbrella for Easter. (at RCSS reg $10 on clearance for $3) My sister has spoiled (still does) my kids but I'm trying not to go as crazy as her! I bought a cute little wagon for her too.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

The longest stretch of sleep that I got last night was 2hrs. Our 3yr old was up 3 times and threw up round 4am. He's still feeling rough and running a low grade fever. Dh and I aren't feeling the best today either.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    The longest stretch of sleep that I got last night was 2hrs. Our 3yr old was up 3 times and threw up round 4am. He's still feeling rough and running a low grade fever. Dh and I aren't feeling the best today either.
    My son's school is being hit hard with this! I am hoping we don't get it.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

With the price of celery the way it is, I'll be growing celery for the first time ever!

I have just planted onion, leek and kale seeds and they are in a very sunny window upstairs. This year I hope to start all my own seeds instead of buying the plants. We had such a hard time getting cucumber plants established from seeding directly into the garden last year, so cukes are on my list to seed indoors as well before planting outside.

The grocery costs here are outrageous so we're scouring the flyers each week and shopping accordingly. Still managing to keep the bill under $500 per month - maybe not for long....

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    With the price of celery the way it is, I'll be growing celery for the first time ever!

I have just planted onion, leek and kale seeds and they are in a very sunny window upstairs. This year I hope to start all my own seeds instead of buying the plants. We had such a hard time getting cucumber plants established from seeding directly into the garden last year, so cukes are on my list to seed indoors as well before planting outside.

The grocery costs here are outrageous so we're scouring the flyers each week and shopping accordingly. Still managing to keep the bill under $500 per month - maybe not for long....
    I am anxious to start our seeds indoors too. When can you plant outside? I know it's earlier for you
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Mon, Jan 25th, 2016 at 04:13 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I freeze celery and onions (the celery I chop and the onions I grind up in a small electric food grinder ) I use them for my soups I don't find them too watery

-well my friend paid for our meals at swiss chalet -so nice of her -we sat and talked for awhile -they loved the small gifts I gave them -frugal cause I am not eating supper tonight

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Went out for prescriptions and a little shopping. No coupon prep. I hate buying things for "regular" price but DH only gets a little while of feeling OK a day. He wasn't well this morning and then got really weak while we were in RCSS so I had to rush.
    I did manage to pay mostly with points, though.

I talked to my brother and he said I can go to a website and get hints about using Windows 10. This put a smile on my face.

I did work a bit on the wedding ceremony this morning while DH was resting. It went better.

Last week cauliflower - this week celery! Yikes!

We were able to get another appointment for DH with his oncologist next week. He fell off their follow-up list when he cancelled an appointment last year when he had surgery.

So in the next week - 4 trips to London. Lots of tests. Hopefully he can get some answers.

DH has pooped out so I had better go and think about supper.

Take care, everyone!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information