User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Yes the tomatoes are so pricey. We had to do canned this week (I come from an Italian family. Tomatoes are so important in everything. We never, ever use canned, but the price is right (99 cents) so had to switch this week)

We spent $100 on groceries yesterday and the only fresh produce we bought were some figs, plums, and carrots. Everything else was expensive, looking mouldy, or expired tomorrow, even at the fancy renovated Loblaws which we went to specifically to get produce. I'm trying to figure out how to eat healthy this week. Canned beans I think, but that's more protein, less veg. I really hate the taste of canned vegetables like green beans or peas, but I think we'll have to make due
    If you go for canned tomatoes, try to go for just the diced canned tomatoes, they are in decent shape & better than the crushed , plum or puree ( paste ) canned tomatoes.

The later three are all mushed & liquidy & taste weird. The diced canned ones are OKish . Of course nothing beats fresh tomatoes. Plus they use so much salt to preserve them, normally when you use canned tomatoes, you don't really need to add much extra salt while cooking as it gets too salty

Dry beans are the best & cheaper & healthier than the canned ones. You buy large bags & soak some in water overnight. You might have to cook them in a pressure cooker depending on the recipe, but worth it. You can buy chick peas, kidney beans, fava beans etc etc.

I hate the canned beans, lot of times I have bought them and they were spoiled inside, when I opened the can, they were almost fermented inside . they had a weird smell & colour and all gooy like a paste inside
    macw1960, lecale, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    ^ you've got to try cooking dry beans: they taste way better than canned. It's just the 1-1/2 to 2 hour simmer that sucks.
    I'll have to try it on a weekend. I work the late shift and get home around 7 p.m. We wouldn't even start eating until 9 so not practical for weekdays

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    If you go for canned tomatoes, try to go for just the diced canned tomatoes, they are in decent shape & better than the crushed , plum or puree ( paste ) canned tomatoes.

The later three are all mushed & liquidy & taste weird. The diced canned ones are OKish . Of course nothing beats fresh tomatoes. Plus they use so much salt to preserve them, normally when you use canned tomatoes, you don't really need to add much extra salt while cooking as it gets too salty
    I found Aylmer Accents brand that had no salt added! It's a blend though of tomato, onion and celery. Whatever, I'll take it for no salt. Canned stuff is too salty for me. Here's the website http://www.aylmeraccents.ca/DiscoverAccents.cfm

They were 99 cents at Loblaws
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Jan 25th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
    Natalka, macw1960, lecale and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

The price of produce didn't just come down this week. Cauliflower etc is in the sale flyer everywhere so that is why it is such a difference in price. The sale flyers are planned/made months in advance so that is why the price is lower. Next week the price will be back up. So stock up and enjoy while you can

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Went to our local RCSS and the choice was moldy cauliflower normal price, REALLy moldy cauliflower for 30%off or two bags of frozen for $5. Guess which one I picked? It was quite sad to see the state of the veggies. Even the baby boy choy looked sad, and it is one of the best values for a fresh veggie IMO. There is more calcium in a cup of bok choy than a cup of milk. It was $1.99 a bag, but the bag looked so wilted. And it is local grown!
    macw1960, lecale, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

This thread makes me so happy I am getting my veggies from a local farmer this winter. Granted I am eating different veggies that if I were buying at grocery store, but they are way nicer than what's in the store. Lots of roots vegetables like celeriac, turnips, radishes (lots of different kinds) and of course beets and carrots in my fridge at the moment. Also have some nice spinach and kale from farmer's greenhouse. Will likely make some kale soup tonight.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I went to FRESCHO today , Hot House Tomatoes very good quality and very fresh were $ 1.99/lb. so decent price/quality this time of year.

Large Brocolli bunches and good quality were only $ 1.49 , very good price this time of the year. But it said Managers Special on the sign, so NOT sure if its just this store, or all stores have this price
    i am pretty sure I saw small bunches for $ 2.49 just last week, so this is a great price for a large bunch.
    macw1960, torontogal12 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

I found Aylmer Accents brand that had no salt added! It's a blend though of tomato, onion and celery. Whatever, I'll take it for no salt. Canned stuff is too salty for me. Here's the website http://www.aylmeraccents.ca/DiscoverAccents.cfm

They were 99 cents at Loblaws
    I like those, too and they go on for a dollar quite often here. What's great is that my son (lives on his own) gets them a lot, and he just mixed in whatever else he has around for a meal.
    What I like best is the canned whole tomatoes, London Drugs will often have Cortina plum tomatoes - they are from Italy, and I stock up when they are a dollar.

TJ - when you buy canned beans like kidney beans, you need to rinse them in a strainer to get rid of the goo.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Price matching produce at Walmart has been a blessing lately, but when I read they are closing stores or firing people I start wondering if they all are just struggling to keep their heads above water and price matching hurts their bottom line. Today I read Walmart will start charging for bags.
    macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by IthinkIcan View Post
    Price matching produce at Walmart has been a blessing lately, but when I read they are closing stores or firing people I start wondering if they all are just struggling to keep their heads above water and price matching hurts their bottom line. Today I read Walmart will start charging for bags.
    I am so happy FINALLY WM will charge for bags. The waste is atrocious there! Imho the cashiers use way too many bags when they put your items in. Presently we have so many bags in the garage and other spots in the house from shopping at WM in the past that it will take me a very long time to use these up ( I clean the cat litter box and place them in the food waste bucket, which is allowed )
    Maybe now finally DH will remember to take the reusable bags from the vehicle BEFORE he enters WM, but....I'll not hold my breath on that one. ha ha

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I will look out for cortina brand. Never seen those around here. I've seen canned ones from Italy at the Italian grocery store, but they're 3.99 per can .
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I like those, too and they go on for a dollar quite often here. What's great is that my son (lives on his own) gets them a lot, and he just mixed in whatever else he has around for a meal.
    What I like best is the canned whole tomatoes, London Drugs will often have Cortina plum tomatoes - they are from Italy, and I stock up when they are a dollar.

TJ - when you buy canned beans like kidney beans, you need to rinse them in a strainer to get rid of the goo.
    macw1960 likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I'm sure their bottom line is just fine

Look at the Loblaws profits announced last May http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lobl...rter-1.3063024

Metro back in August http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/metr...ctor-1.3188487

I'm sure other stores have similar results
    macw1960 and IthinkIcan like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I am so happy FINALLY WM will charge for bags. The waste is atrocious there! Imho the cashiers use way too many bags when they put your items in. Presently we have so many bags in the garage and other spots in the house from shopping at WM in the past that it will take me a very long time to use these up ( I clean the cat litter box and place them in the food waste bucket, which is allowed )
    Maybe now finally DH will remember to take the reusable bags from the vehicle BEFORE he enters WM, but....I'll not hold my breath on that one. ha ha
    You would be surprised how many bags will fit in an empty Kleenex box.
    Natalka, JadeAngel and walkonby like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

So the upside of weekend grocery shopping: Pop got back from Cambridge with two turkeys that were $1 a pound. He was visiting family and they had bought more than a few and put them in the freezer, so he swung by on his way home and got two for us. Currently have an 18 pounder in the fridge thawing.

Not sure which No Frills, but maybe someone in that area might find them in their travels?
    Last edited by matty's mom; Mon, Jan 25th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.
    macw1960 and nicolthepickle like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The US stores are closing. The smaller US Walmarts, not the Superstores.
    macw1960 and IthinkIcan like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Reusable bags are the best thing
    macw1960, walkonby and wolfwoman like this.
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information