User Tag List

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorken View Post
    OK @Frugalbigmama and @maggiespice , you two have convinced me!
    I just picked up an 18.1 kg bag of rice, which will last the 2 of us awhile. I've put some in a tupperware container to have at hand in my kitchen pantry and then I rolled the top of the sack closed, clipped it so it will stay closed, and currently have it sitting on a shelf in a cool storage area in my basement.

But can I leave it like that (in the original sack), or do I have to store it a certain way to ensure it keeps well? How does everyone store their extra rice? I don't want to discover it has gone stale, or dried out, or got infested somehow...
    If you store rice in a large bucket make sure it is a food grade bucket. Some of the Home Depot buckets are food grade...should have label on it. If you are going to be going into it on a frequent basis buy gamma lids...they are expensive and hard to find but worth it. Otherwise I would store in any clean jar that has rubber ring on the inside edge of the lid. Moisture and oxygen are your enemy when storing food like rice. If you can vacuum seal your jars to take out oxygen that is even better. Depends on how long it will take you to go through the bag. If stored properly white rice can last 10 years.
    macw1960, DaveP, Decaf and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

After all this depressing talk decided I better go to Superstore and stock up on the frozen green beans and broccoli (since I had 200 pc pts per $1) Both kids love both so we are good for awhile. Green onion was $1.29 (pm'd No Frills for .47) It was .89 the other day but they were out.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Good idea on stocking up on frozen fruits and veggies!! Were trying to reduce grocery costs this year...so this will be a challenge!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It definitely is harder to eat healthy on a budget. I find to get the better deals you need to go often. (The clearance rack) But that can be scary too as then you spend more on those "good" deals that you don't really need.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Valu mart today had oranges, various apples, and something else (Curse these memory laps!) for $1 / LB . I most certainly took advantage of that.

Cucumber 2/$6.00 these were a big nope.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Some great sales at Freshco and No Frills , 2-3 days from now

the problem with perishables like fruits, veggies you can't even buy them in bulk and store them, when they go on sale without spoiling them. So even if you know its a good sale and good price, you can't even take advantage of it and buy dozens of them, to save money in future.

I saw very good quality Royal Gala apples on sale for 99 c/lb , I knew it was a good price, but I could only buy this much, due to storage issues . Next week the same ones were $ 1.79 c/lb . But same thing if it was canned stuff like soup, tuna etc, maybe I could have bought tons of it.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I often get decent PC PLUS offers for produce so that wil be what the kids are getting each week. I am also checking for better prices on the apps. Today I bought bananas as I had the offer and it's the only fruit DH eats, while waiting to,check out I looked at only to see I could pay 18 cents less a pound. Not much but I will take it.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I often get decent PC PLUS offers for produce so that wil be what the kids are getting each week. I am also checking for better prices on the apps. Today I bought bananas as I had the offer and it's the only fruit DH eats, while waiting to,check out I looked at The app I can't mention starts with a F ends with lipp only to see I could pay 18 cents less a pound. Not much but I will take it.
    Shwa Girl, GatineauGirl and dededi like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Just got back from Walmart here in Guelph - broccoli 3.79. head of lettuce 2.49 and a bag of green beans 8.75. I have to go and stock up on frozen veggies now - since I don't eat bread or any gluten I eat more veggies
    macw1960, toronto166 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    Just got back from Walmart here in Guelph - broccoli 3.79. head of lettuce 2.49 and a bag of green beans 8.75. I have to go and stock up on frozen veggies now - since I don't eat bread or any gluten I eat more veggies
    take a peek at the flyers posted today by cyn88canada
    some good prices on fruits, veggies, no salt canned veggies, chicken

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Some great sales at Freshco and No Frills , 2-3 days from now

the problem with perishables like fruits, veggies you can't even buy them in bulk and store them, when they go on sale without spoiling them.
    I think apples store well

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I think apples store well

Yes they do...cold storage.
    toronto166, dededi and Davetherave like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Red delicious Apples, Pears and Red Globe Grapes are all $ 1/lb at FRESHCO starting tomorrow, best price I have seen in a while.

Mushroom packs 227 gm for $ 1.50 also not a bad price. I guess 1.50 is the new 99 cents now

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

price matching certainly helps but its tedious process and ppl behind you hate you
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by IthinkIcan View Post
    price matching certainly helps but its tedious process and ppl behind you hate you
    I warn them that I am price matching. Some go to another line. Some like to stay and 'watch the show'.
    Only once did a lady behind stay and then start huffing and puffing. I just gave her a look and she stopped the huffing and puffing. But she still stayed for 'the show'.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information