User Tag List

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If or f lipp if you do all your clippings at home you don't need wifi and if you have looked at all the grocery flyers they will show up and you can look through the flyers without wifi. You need wifi if you want to search. If I have trouble with wifi in the grocery store I go to the phone kiosk and ask to hook into their wifi. They will give you the password.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I was searching the app for flyers last night - the app starts with F and I noticed swiss chard and kale is on sale in a few places. How does one cook that and what does it taste like? Spinach fresh is about 2.99 and kale 1.99 - I need the iron so I will try kale.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I was searching the app for flyers last night - the app starts with F and I noticed swiss chard and kale is on sale in a few places. How does one cook that and what does it taste like? Spinach fresh is about 2.99 and kale 1.99 - I need the iron so I will try kale.
    I absolutely recommend the book Greens Glorious Greens
    http://www.amazon.ca/Greens-Glorious...lorious+Greens

It has a lot of fantastic ideas/recipes for every kind of leafy green, and it is meat and dairy free so no bacon and cheese sodden stuff.

Basic chard - rinse it, slice up the stems, saute until wilted, dress with salt and pepper, oil, and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

Kale is trendy and there are a zillion idea online right now.

I like frozen spinach better because it isn't as dirty and the fresh stuff gets bruised and goes bad quicker than lettuce, which is too fast for me. My favourite is to stew caramelized onions, a couple strips of chopped bacon, and spinach together and poach eggs in it. If I go bacon-free I add diced celery and garum masala and do the same thing.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    My parents have a banana tree. They keep it in the house all year and it has never made fruit. They've had it for maybe 10 years. I wouldn't bank on growing your own bananas . Fig trees do not do well either. It will literally grow a single fig all year.

But definitely tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, herbs are the way to go if you want to grow your own in your backyard. Peach/Apple/Blackberry/Pear trees all do well in Canada.
    Lavender Lady got a great deal on English cucumbers. $0.57. Posted in the Brag section - Azevado's thread.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

We eat seasonally and he won't eat any weird stuff, so we're looking at turnips, squash, carrots, leeks, potatoes etc. Mushrooms are grown indoors and though I expect the heating bill goes up in the winter, they are not really seasonal. Lots of roasts (which are cheaper than steaks anyway) to accompany all this slow-cooking stuff. The only salad vegetable I'm buying these days is celery, because the price has tripled (seasonal change, and it's going to get worse because of the exchange rate). Lots of apples, pears, bananas and especially, oranges. The price of tropical fruit including bananas is going up, but bananas are still a deal.

I remember Ontario cauliflower at $.97/ea a few short months ago but I'm not buying it now because it is out of season.
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 6 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I had bbq hamburgers last night -I made myself last month from a sale and I bought the iceburg salad bag for 1.67 from giant tiger yesterday and used the bigger pieces of lettuce in that -cheaper
    ROMEO, Ciel, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I remember Ontario cauliflower at $.97/ea a few short months ago but I'm not buying it now because it is out of season.
    Friends use to buy lots of cauliflower when it reached that price and then freeze the florets on a tray, then into a Ziploc freezer bag.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Check out this weeks flyers... I think no frills? Has Nutella for $2
    Yes, I saw that! Have to see if I am going by the store later this week.
    macw1960, toronto166 and dededi like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If you've got a Foodsaver or other vacuum packer,use it to seal up bags of rice for storage.You can save the used bags to reseal something else,since they only had dried rice in them.Rice packaged this way will store for over a year,since most of the air is sucked out,giving you ample time to use up a big bag bought cheaply.
    Ciel, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 4 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We love kale roasted in the oven. Rip the leafy part off the stem and tear the leaves into about 2inch pieces. Toss in a little olive oil. Add some minced garlic, salt and pepper and roastat 375 for about 10 miinutes. Delish!

Unlike a pp, I buy spinach or a mix of spinach and arugula instead of lettuce mix precisely because they are coarser greens and they do last longer.
    One easy thing we can all do to limit waste is keep a ziploc bag in the freezer section of your refrigerator. Throw in all those little dabs of leftovers that are otherwise too small to keep, the one or two limp stalks of celery, the wrinkled grape tomatoes etc. When you make soup, throw it all in.
    Ciel, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julies1949 View Post
    One easy thing we can all do to limit waste is keep a ziploc bag in the freezer section of your refrigerator. Throw in all those little dabs of leftovers that are otherwise too small to keep, the one or two limp stalks of celery, the wrinkled grape tomatoes etc. When you make soup, throw it all in.
    Such a good idea! I have a smallish tub in the freezer that I put in all the cooled veggie cooking water. Once it is full, I thaw, cook veggies in it and make a veggie soup by adding A 945 ml low sodium Mott's or V8 and season. (~1:1 ratio). Yummy and nutritious.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Cashier just price matched for my friend but then she touched my ipad and switched pages and it wouldn't go back to original page and she refused to PM my same item.
    *rolls eyes* Are you serious? People need to use common sense
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Nice to see Chinese New Year flyers, since pomelos which are usually $6.99 are on sale for $1.88. Very healthy food.
    Name:  d92bc9387b6ef82895fe14d0d3066460.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  40.4 KB
    Purdee, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

^^^^i love pomelo. You can also use it in a salad. But be careful if you are on certain medication you cannot have it, since it's in the same family as grapefruits.
    Ciel, Wannawin, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

swiss chard is in miso soup... tastes good, if you`re into Japanese cuisine.

I like kale in my salad, olive oil on it, cucumbers, tomatoes
    Last edited by Candini; Sun, Jan 10th, 2016 at 07:39 PM.
    Ciel, Wannawin, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information