User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: cosmetics vs cancer ?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

yesterday, i watch a tv documentary about.....the fact that cosmetics might contain some cancerogene products.....

some organisation blow the whistle about it and warn us to be consious that our cosmetics might be cancerogenes
    on the other hand....
    sure, the cosmetics industry says theirs are safe and cancerogene products free
    and there is a third party
    who says that with health and safety canada we should not worry to much about it
    but with all the cutting done in the gov. ....there are not enough staff to check them all....
    sorry to be so long.....just to ask you....

doesn't that scare you? what is your opinion ?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Jan 9th, 2016 at 06:35 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i wouldn't be surprised if there are carcinogens. there are some ingredients banned in europe that are still legal for use here. there are always limitations to testing and technology. what can pass today might be discovered as carcinogenic in the future. it's kind of better for business in the cosmetics industry. the use of the banned ingredients in countries where it's not banned is more cost effective because those ingredients are cheaper. plus, if one's facial condition is not good, they will keep buying cosmetics and expensive skincare.
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It doesn't scare me. I know the media likes to sensationalize things because it sells papers, boosts ratings, makes them appear current, and appear to be doing this in the public's interest. I actually have to deal with these issues on almost a daily basis and when I learn what the claims are actually based on, it's not a real concern.

There are some real health concerns, and when it's found to be valid, products are pulled, and there are public recalls.

There are many other ways of getting cancer and being exposed to carcinogens even if you don't wear makeup. Keep asking questions and read reliable sources (those that don't have a vested interest) to keep yourself educated on the topic.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Everything causes cancer nowadays.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a great website to see the ingredients in your favourite makeup products: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Generally, I try to use organic products as much as possible on my face. Even if those artificial chemicals will not give one cancer, some studies have affirmed that they increase in creating wrinkles on the skin.
    princessjen likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We should adopt all branded things used in cosmetics field then we will be remain perfect so always be ready for best and never compromise in all things then adverse affect appear as cancer disease etc.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xxRene View Post
    Agreed! At one time they were saying that antiperspirant causes cancer. I will take my chances and choose to smell good and look decent than to be plain and stinky LOL
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i must say visiting ewg's website and checking out the products i use, which some are mineral based, ALL scored a 3-5 which is moderate risk, and that moderate risk of cancer, toxicity (lung, eyes, face). I'm pretty freakin freaked ouT!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think the amounts would be so small that you would have to use a ton of makeup over the course of your lifetime for your skin to absorb enough to give you cancer.

My mom barely wears any makeup and she has cancer so it's not makeup. I wear way more than she does makeup wise LOL

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I think the amounts would be so small that you would have to use a ton of makeup over the course of your lifetime for your skin to absorb enough to give you cancer.

My mom barely wears any makeup and she has cancer so it's not makeup. I wear way more than she does makeup wise LOL
    From what I've hear it takes one molecule of a carcinogen to attach to a free radical cell to start up cancer...I heard that from a dr who was in the Frankensteer documentary, he was talking about how revolor H has a known carcinogen in it and the small amount of residue that might be in the final product can still cause cancer
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by xxRene View Post
    True.
    The raise of cancer is due to the extreme production of chemicals so that everything we use is artificial.
    good i rarely use makeup at all.
    but its about as dangerous to me as wearing clothing or shoes that could also have carcogens because they were made cheaply, or just breathing in the air. its not fair for us and is hardly a cosmetic debate but rather a universal one
    THanks for the website link lady foxglove!!
    Last edited by dangelo; Fri, Dec 9th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mia01 I know it is an old thread but it is still relevant today. Thanks for sharing.
    princessjen likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

and i still use cosmetics .....

when i once told the PJC cosmetician all the layers i put on my face she had her eyes wide open...LOL
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    yesterday, i watch a tv documentary about.....the fact that cosmetics might contain some cancerogene products.....

some organisation blow the whistle about it and warn us to be consious that our cosmetics might be cancerogenes
    on the other hand....
    sure, the cosmetics industry says theirs are safe and cancerogene products free
    and there is a third party
    who says that with health and safety canada we should not worry to much about it
    but with all the cutting done in the gov. ....there are not enough staff to check them all....
    sorry to be so long.....just to ask you....
    doesn't that scare you? what is your opinion ?
    Yes it scares me. I normally do a lot of desk research first, i.e. look at all the ingredients listed for e.g. a shampoo or a conditioner. I downloaded http://www.beautytruth.com/toxic-ingredients/ and use it as a guide for what not to buy.
    Last edited by AddyB; Fri, Jan 29th, 2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: didn't put the reason - sorry.
    andre43 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I know with the Parabens issue, the references were made to a study in which the presence of parabens was observed in cancer tissue.

People made a causal link, which the research study had not actually made. There was so much confusion that the man who did the original study came out and made a public statement saying that he did not find a causal link between parabens in products and cancer. People were misrepresenting his research.

We should absolutely be cautious, but also look at the source of the info (published research) and not what someone told someone who read something somewhere, and so on

Also look at how companies come up with new products. The major companies do not tell their R&D depts to come up with cutting edge new formulas... they ASK their marketing dept what the latest buzz is, and then TELL their labs to create something with the latest buzzed ingredients with textures and smells that appeal to people with pretty packaging that actually compromises the quality of the ingredients that are being buzzed about.

So many products are labeled as Paraben Free, when their is no research showing that parabens are something to be wary of.

Marketing 101.
    andre43 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information