Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By SassyAshley
  • 1 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 2 Post By luvthefree
  • 1 Post By wimbly11
  • 1 Post By SassyAshley
  • 3 Post By wimbly11
  • 3 Post By luvthefree

Thread: Day Care Meals....Picky One Year Old!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Help!! I just returned to work and our daughter just started going to the sitter. We have to supply her food each day and she has become quite picky and I'm not sure how we're going to manage to find meals for her each day!

Would anyone like to share some go to meals they use for their kids? She is one and we have a hard time getting her to each any veggies at all. She loves mac and cheese, toast, yogurt, veggie lasagna....and that's about it. Sometimes blueberry muffins. I need to get her trying new things.

Please help
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, MAC Cosmetics
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The important thing to remember...this will change. Especially at that age, they can become quite fussy and then for no reason (known to a parent) they decide they will "love" something that they previously never tried.
    The meals the others have in her daycare might inspire both of you. Good luck

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This may also be your chance to try new things with her. Kids are more likely to try things when given to them by someone other then a parent especially if there are other kids there eating.

My cousins were beyond picky like one would tell you she only ate McDonald's Cheeseburgers but every time someone other then her parents were feeding her (even at home, they had a few babysitters at the time) or she went to someone's house she always ate what was served. But would refuse to eat for parents knowing they would give in.
    Angela273 likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Borrow Annabel Karmel's books from the library. *Lifesavers* Awesome stuff that you can even freeze and supply for an entire week or more. Until then, try:

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes

Our daughter loved the cauliflower cheese recipe (not on the website) which tastes just like macaroni and cheese. There's a version on the website, but the one we use has a bit of butter, cauliflower, flour, milk, and cheddar. That's it! I think most kids go through a phase where they don't eat green vegetables. Mine is suspicious of all green things, so I use cauliflower, peppers, carrots, etc.

Ours also loves shrimp with garlic (cook thoroughly, but still soft) and buckwheat soba noodles. I chop up the broccoli really small but the key is really the garlic and shrimp together.
    Angela273 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    This may also be your chance to try new things with her. Kids are more likely to try things when given to them by someone other then a parent especially if there are other kids there eating.

My cousins were beyond picky like one would tell you she only ate McDonald's Cheeseburgers but every time someone other then her parents were feeding her (even at home, they had a few babysitters at the time) or she went to someone's house she always ate what was served. But would refuse to eat for parents knowing they would give in.

i completely agree. i run a home daycare and children will try other children's food and unfamiliar things if others are too. sounds like your child likes milky/starchy foods and they are easy to add bits of chicken and veggies to. try a variety of textures like raw versus cooked veggies or make things fun like building sea creatures out of fruits and veggies and most of all patience. like all stages this will pass. syndi
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks everyone. I have tried mixing it up, adding meat, veggies to things she likes. Put some small pieces of carrots and peas in mac and cheese (which she loves). Every spoonful that had a veggie on it...she spit out and cried! lol
    Angela273 likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I wonder if it is a texture issue, she can tell the texture is difference which she does not like. Maybe try something where you puree the veggies into the meal.

I have a sibling with massive texture issues and they have to blend salsa and other things because they cannot handle the chunks. Everyone thought they would grow out of it but they are now a grown adult and still cannot many textures.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Interesting. Perhaps I'll have to give this a try. I'm really worried that she isn't getting what she needs...

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I wonder if it is a texture issue, she can tell the texture is difference which she does not like. Maybe try something where you puree the veggies into the meal.

I have a sibling with massive texture issues and they have to blend salsa and other things because they cannot handle the chunks. Everyone thought they would grow out of it but they are now a grown adult and still cannot many textures.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

agree texture can make a big difference in liking something. at least she likes veggie lasagna which is fairly nutritious. does she like pizza? that is easy to make/eat and can be good for you. has all the food groups too. maybe ask the daycare provider about what the other children are eating and try some similar foods to those. syndi

Thread Information