Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Ontario Electricity Support Program Effective January 2016

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
    hi,
    i'm a working adult but i rent basement from my parents' (their house). for the income criteria, does anyone know if they will add my income to my parents' income to determine the household income?

my tax return is registered with the house address and doesn't specify main floor, basement, etc.

thanks in advance.
    No they won't. If your name is NOT there on the Hydro bill.

if just your dad's or mom's ( or both ) name is on the Hydro bill, and if their income is less than the threshold, I think $ 28,000 ask them to apply , without putting your name anywhere on the form.

They will qualify.
    barbis9 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post
    I applied last year, I am on LTD and CPP disability, my wife does not work.. and we were denied.... And whoever said it, it's NOT well advertised....
    Why ? Did your income go above $ 28,000 , if NOT , they should and have to give it to you. You should appeal, don't give up. Might be some error or glitch on their part.

they send the info to CRA to confirm income and sometimes CRA screws up. I know dome couple who are low income and on OAS and GIS, they get $ 400 property tax rebate from the city each year and they qualify for that.

when they applied for it, the city denied it, because they (city) sent the info to Service Canada to confirm they were on OAS and GIS. Service Canada screwed up and denied they are on GIS, so the city didn't give them $ 400 property tax rebate, can't blame the city for that.

then they faced all the documents to the City and proved that they ARE on OAS and GIS, so finally the city and Service Canada aplogised and paid them
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
    hi,
    i'm a working adult but i rent basement from my parents' (their house). for the income criteria, does anyone know if they will add my income to my parents' income to determine the household income?

my tax return is registered with the house address and doesn't specify main floor, basement, etc.

thanks in advance.
    It is whoever is registered on the hydro bill that needs to apply.
    Last edited by barbis9; Fri, Nov 4th, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Don't forget to apply for this, If you are eligible & qualify.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

This is electricity ( hydro )rebate for low income people in ON.

Are there any similar rebates for HEATING i.e Natural furnace gas heating for your house in ON for low income people ?

I know someone, who might need a heating rebate similar to this hydro rebate on their bill. Could come handy this Winter

I am already helping them apply for this Hydro- Electricity rebate. Looks like they are eligible as both of them receive GIS & OAS.

I am also helping them get some City rebate for snow removal for their driveway. They are senior citizens on GIS.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I hope low income ( especially seniors ) are applying for this.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I hope this is moved to Personal Finance so more people can see this.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Does it really take 6-8 weeks for it to be processed as mentioned in the FAQ?

Or can/has it be done sooner?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Applied online for a Senior couple on August 11, 2018, the monthly rebate was approved by OESP on August 30, 2018.

Had to mail in the consent form, but the application was online.

Now they will send this approval info to the Utility provider. So hopefully the September Hydro bill at the end of the month has the OESP rebate on it.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Interesting that you posted the consent form had to be mailed in. Canada Post workers are likely to have some job action this month if contract talks don't show progress. I have read of a possible strike on Sept.26. It'd be great if utilities offered a backup or alternative to mail (i.e allow scanned attachments or files in e-mails, but still provide mail-in when postal service is running normally) during job action.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Interesting that you posted the consent form had to be mailed in. Canada Post workers are likely to have some job action this month if contract talks don't show progress. I have read of a possible strike on Sept.26. It'd be great if utilities offered a backup or alternative to mail (i.e allow scanned attachments or files in e-mails, but still provide mail-in when postal service is running normally) during job action.
    Yeah that's weird. Don't know why they can't keep everything online & digital.

It's like 99 % of the application is online & then you have to mail a consent form proving that you are the one who actually did the application & they can release your info to CRA, Utility company etc. Which totally defaets the purpose of an online application.

The consent form can get lost or delayed in mail, you never know.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They need hard signatures - original handwritten - on the consent form. No photocopies, scans or faxes will be accepted.

So you can't even email it or fax it to them. But rest is simple. The consent form gets printed in the end, everything is on it, you just have to sign & mail it.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

There is an announcement today by the Ford government that there is more natural gas going to rural parts of the province, the help more people
    https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/...tural-gas.html
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

🙂

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    There is an announcement today by the Ford government that there is more natural gas going to rural parts of the province, the help more people
    https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/...tural-gas.html
    Only can see that happening if the First Nations and communities standing to benefit from the pipeline are OK with pipelines going through their areas. Then they can discover the up and down nature of gas pricing each quarter on their utility bills, as our household does. Sometimes the gas supplier comments on low supplies during winter, an extended cold spell, etc.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information