• 1 Post By lll111
  • 3 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By grumpy

Thread: Breast Feeding Tips

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hi Ladies,

Can you offer me some breast feeding tips, about to have my second and was not successful with breast feeding my first, would like to try for my second, but I am so worried that it won't workout. I don't want to pump and feed, I think that will be too much stress for me, especially waking at night to feed baby a bottle plus than pumping.

Please give me your tips and techniques.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    anisa, ROMEO and Meeeks85 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It's been awhile. But for me, the answer was time. The first three weeks were very hard, it hurt. Everything that I was told said if you're doing it right it won't hurt, but that wasn't true for me. But once I got to that point, it got MUCH easier.

Also, before I left the hospital my son lost a bit of his birth weight and I was told to supplement with formula. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have done it, your body just produces less milk when baby isn't eating it. Fortunately it worked out.

If you need it, ask for help! I wasn't willing to at all, DH had to push me. If I hadn't, I might have given up.

Lastly, you're not a failure if you can't. Not everyone can. A FED baby is best, however you can do it. Good luck!
    ROMEO, Purdee and lll111 like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Check with the hospital you are going to deliver; they should have a lactation consultant/nurse. I had my first this January and stayed at the hospital for 5 days; a nurse on each shift tried to teach me and they all had their own ideas of the correct ways and it was rather confusing for a new mom. Just request a consultation with the lactation nurse; There's always one in the neonatal intensive care unit at least at my local hospital.
    Zonny is right. Everyone also told me the same thing that if you do it right like proper latching then it should not hurt but it hurt for me and it was so difficult the first few weeks that I almost gave up. FYI I'm still Breast feeding and it is easier these days and does not hurt like at the beginning. My advice is do not give up! Keep trying until you find the technique that works for you.
    Good luck and congrats
    ROMEO, Zonny and lll111 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    Check with the hospital you are going to deliver; they should have a lactation consultant/nurse. I had my first this January and stayed at the hospital for 5 days; a nurse on each shift tried to teach me and they all had their own ideas of the correct ways and it was rather confusing for a new mom. Just request a consultation with the lactation nurse; There's always one in the neonatal intensive care unit at least at my local hospital.
    Zonny is right. Everyone also told me the same thing that if you do it right like proper latching then it should not hurt but it hurt for me and it was so difficult the first few weeks that I almost gave up. FYI I'm still Breast feeding and it is easier these days and does not hurt like at the beginning. My advice is do not give up! Keep trying until you find the technique that works for you.
    Good luck and congrats
    Unfortunately the hospital I am going to the lactation consultant has retired and they do not have someone to replace her.

The first time around my son was born around the holidays, so the lactation consultant wasn't available and the nurse tried to help to the best she could.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lll111 View Post
    Unfortunately the hospital I am going to the lactation consultant has retired and they do not have someone to replace her.

The first time around my son was born around the holidays, so the lactation consultant wasn't available and the nurse tried to help to the best she could.
    That's awful they didn't replace the lactation consultant. Such an important role! Where I am, public health nurses would also come to your home if you requested it, and our children's hospital had a Mother and Baby clinic where you could get help with nursing. In the end, I did it until my DS was about 15 months old. Once you get it working for you, it's so convenient. No warming or mixing anything, if baby is hungry the food is right there.
    ROMEO, Purdee and lll111 like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.lllc.ca/find-group

Check with this group if there is a support group or leader in your area.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

If supply is your issue ask your dr to prescribe domperidone. I didn't have enough milk for my first 2 kids but with the third he's been fine and is now 11 months. I take a small pill 3 times a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My daughter started fussing a bit at 6 months and I went to my family Dr. to talk about it, and he basically said to switch to formula.

It was my first child, and I had no family or friends for support. What I REALLY wanted was some help to make sure my daughter didn't just need some adjustments with her feeding routine. I was shy and apprehensive about speaking up about really wanting some input with her feeding. She had been feeding very well up until that time.

My son, on the other had, was feeding like a pro at one hour old, and didn't stop for 2 years lol. he is a boob boy!

If breastfeeding is important to you, and all things go well otherwise with your health and your baby's, maybe keep a couple of numbers handy for your local breastfeeding support groups for those times when you need to ask some questions or need some supporting info. I didn't realize with my first child that there is a lot of support out there for new moms, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to my Dr. He is a very nice Dr, great guy, he just didn't get my concerns.

Be sure to check out la leche's website, and keep the info posted on your fridge for those times when you feel like you need some help.

Good luck!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I'm glad you posted this question and I hope I can help you and others as it's so fresh for me. I really suffered the first month.

I wish someone had told me how hard breastfeeding is. I know why so many people cannot continue - it's painful, it's every 2 hours, it's self-esteem damaging when you feel like you don't have enough milk or can't do it...

Oh and you have to be resigned to the fact that you will have to cling to the baby 24/7 for the first month and have no time for anything else. I was silly to try to put him down at 1 and 2 months to sleep. It only works after the 3.5 month mark or so.

But it's almost 4 months and I am still doing it so that's my first tip... it DOES get better as with having a baby in general day by day. I only need to top up the last 2 feedings of the day with formula. (It helps my baby sleep through the night from 7pm bed time!)

Definitely see a lactation consultant or have one come to your home within the first week!!! Best in the first few days!!

Get a mentor - a friend who can text you daily or help you / answer questions, or la leche league or someone. Call public health nurse.

If it really hurts and you need a break, no harm in some formula. Your baby needs to be fed. (get the free samples from nestle and similacclub.ca as backup!) And your nipples need a break. Allows your partner or family to participate and i learned from my friends, that it's actually ok and good if baby is on bottle and breast because it's easier to wean later to bottle. Some babies won't ever take a bottle.

Before you give birth, ask for a Rx for the Jack Newman All purpose nipple ointment and/or buy some lanolin (but this stains your clothes). Use it after each feeding!!

Cool water, cabbage leaves for the pain, loose tank top with built in bra at night.

The 2 hour cycle of feed, bottle feed top up, express milk with pump is ridiculous. Don't try to do it all. Start Domperidone medicine early if you really have low milk supply because it helps way more than fenugreek, blessed thistle etc etc. Just see your family doctor and get the Rx. And that's why also it's better to have a family doctor to see YOU and the baby (instead of a paediatrician only for the baby). You will need support. Eventually the formula top ups weren't as necessary (baby was content and stopped screaming for more food) and that's how I got to where i am today!

Massage your breasts and take a warm shower - these help increase the milk too and you will need to take a shower for your sanity.

I found the brest friend pillow really helpful. Make sure nipple to nose. tummy to tummy. I kept pulling my boob to the baby (wrong) but it should be push the baby's open mouth onto your boob. Hold the babes upper back/shoulders. A stool under your feet helps too. And a pillow under your elbow. Have your hubby/partner set these up for you.

Stay positive. Relax. Spend time with your baby skin to skin. Good luck!!!!!!

And Drink Drink Drink lots of water and milk and anything you can get your hands on. Set up a "station" table next to your favourite sitting area to keep your vitamin D drops (drop onto your nipple for baby daily), and snacks, phone, magazine, tv remote and drink!
    Last edited by grumpy; Fri, Jun 3rd, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
    lll111 likes this.

Thread Information