Like Tree27Likes
  • 4 Post By jasperandchar
  • 6 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 5 Post By walkonby
  • 6 Post By scouponer
  • 1 Post By Silk
  • 3 Post By jasperandchar
  • 2 Post By amira84

Thread: Canadian Food Price Forecast for 2016, CTV news & University of Guelph Food Chart 201

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I thought I would share as it seems are dollars will once again be pulled from our hard working pockets to feed our families.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Not a pleasant read but we must stay informed about the rising cost of food and our monies.

Here a link to the CTV news

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/which...2016-1.2728070

link to University of Guelph's report - Food Price chart for 2016

https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodinstitut...%20English.pdf

Feel free to comment and share ideas of what types of changes you will be making to your grocery shopping ie batch cooking, purchasing frozen veggies/fruits vs. fresh, meats vs. grains, more fish vs. meats

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Silk, macw1960, luvthefree and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Growing a garden is big on our list this year. Fresh stuff to use during the summer but mostly to prep the freezer for winter.
    We plan on growing everything we need to make pasta sauce, chilli and soups. As well as veggies we can freeze. Shopping the sales is still important to us. (Plan meals around sales etc) For example I wanted to make the kids tacos but lettuce (romaine is my #1 choice) is crazy. But head lettuce is on for $1.50 this upcoming week so will have tacos for dinner one night and DS will have wraps in his lunch (cooked steak ready in slices in the freezer for him!)
    Meal planning will be even more important now.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yes @jasperandchar just today I was at FreshCo to grab a few things in the flyer ( sale ) and passed on MOST of the produce items. The prices are appalling! ( especially when it is a larger family you are shopping for ) No more waste allowed here! I had to remind everyone that I am buying 1 or 2 of something ( as compared to filling a bag ) and we are making things s-t-r-e-t-c-h!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Already looking at seeds for vegetable garden for this summer. deciding what makes sense in the space I have available, what is easiest to grow and store, freeze, can and dehydrate and will buy more fresh local,produce when available next summer and store, freeze, can and dehydrate that as well. Chicken is on sale this week bone in so I hope to buy a bunch and can it then use the bones to make stock and can it as well to supplement when nothing is on sale. Buying big bag of rice this week and will vacuum seal in smaller portions to store longer. Today I made applesauce and started a batch of Apple cidar vinegar from the peels of a bag of reduced organic red delicious apples. Didn't like texture of apples raw but applesauce turned out great. Vinegar takes about 6 weeks so hopefully it works out as well as batch I made in fall. Have to get the most out of everything at these prices.
    Giseledta, Silk, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I thought I would share as it seems are dollars will once again be pulled from our hard working pockets to feed our families.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Not a pleasant read but we must stay informed about the rising cost of food and our monies.

Here a link to the CTV news

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/which...2016-1.2728070

link to University of Guelph's report - Food Price chart for 2016

https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodinstitut...%20English.pdf

Feel free to comment and share ideas of what types of changes you will be making to your grocery shopping ie batch cooking, purchasing frozen veggies/fruits vs. fresh, meats vs. grains, more fish vs. meats

Thanks

Oh sorry, jasperandchar - I didn't see the bottom part of the post where you encouraged people to share ideas for saving etc. I just started this thread asking - What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?:

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/413006-...a/#post6549886

I'll post a link to your thread in mine. Maybe moderators will decide to merge our threads...

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Tue, Jan 26th, 2016 at 12:18 AM.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Silk no worries as they say great minds think alike
    Silk, luvthefree and amira84 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Great thread! And i like the idea of growing most of the vegetables. I want to try growing veggies/fruits too but i dont know which veggie is the easiet to start with. I want to buy organic seeds and start from there. Any ideas? What about tomatoes? Are they easy to plant? They are getting sooooo expensive now.

The saddest aprt is that junk food did not get as expensive as compared to fresh produce.
    Silk and luvthefree like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

The farmers almanac website has a link to what seeds you can start indoors and when for your particular area. I have already started onion, leek and kale seeds - the kale is already up and growing nicely. I have a nice sunny upstairs window to start the seeds.

Growing veggies has always been priority for us but even more so with the higher produce costs. I will be growing celery for the first time this year as well. We have a large garden area that we use at my parents place -sadly this may be the last year that we can use that space. I also have space beside our garage - for a salad garden which has served us well. We still have leek in the garden!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    The farmers almanac website has a link to what seeds you can start indoors and when for your particular area. I have already started onion, leek and kale seeds - the kale is already up and growing nicely. I have a nice sunny upstairs window to start the seeds.

Growing veggies has always been priority for us but even more so with the higher produce costs. I will be growing celery for the first time this year as well. We have a large garden area that we use at my parents place -sadly this may be the last year that we can use that space. I also have space beside our garage - for a salad garden which has served us well. We still have leek in the garden!
    Wow havping not really had a vegetable garden that seems so early to me.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We are hoping to plant some things this year as well if we can find the time!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Wow havping not really had a vegetable garden that seems so early to me.
    Yes, too early for a lot of veggies but not for onion, leek and kale. We are on the West Coast.

Thread Information