• 3 Post By bhlombardy
  • 2 Post By olivercat
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By luvthefree

Thread: 7 eleven SpeakOut Question

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently just signed up for SpeakOut, I bought a cheap $30 cellphone for emergency purposes only, therefore I never even gave out my phone number to anyone, and I'v already been receiving spam!! wtheck!!
    how is this happening? and why? does SpeakOut give out your number or something?

This is ridiculous, I'v had an unknown caller and now spammers messaging me...ugh.....the worst.

Has anyone else had any issues like this with SpeakOut? :/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Our son had Speakout and never had any problems with spam.

Unfortunately, just probably random bad luck for you.
    Ciel, JDI007, dededi and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So..just random scammers dialing numbers? or is SpeakOut sharing my phone number with 3rd parties or something? :/ I'm not sure if I should contact them...if they have anything to do with it..it's happened twice and I'v had my phone number for only a couple weeks... hmmm..

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I would think the former - we go through spurts with our home phone, too - and we've had that number for ages.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    So..just random scammers dialing numbers? or is SpeakOut sharing my phone number with 3rd parties or something? :/ I'm not sure if I should contact them...if they have anything to do with it..it's happened twice and I'v had my phone number for only a couple weeks... hmmm..
    It has nothing to do with your provider (SpeakOut). One of two things have happened:

Either the 'spammers' are randomly hitting your number (less likely) or someone who had the number before you handed out their # like candy to anyone who wanted it.

My work cell phone # was assigned to me 'fresh' about 18 months ago -- the number is NOT published, and it's blocked from Caller-ID if I even do call someone. Yet, the first 10-15 calls I got were ALL from wrong numbers, or text messages to the wrong person, and/or marketting calls/texts. I still get them. I have never given that number out to anyone, but I bet that someone had it before me did. That number could have belonged to anyone in the general public.

On the other hand, my personal cell phone which I've had for close to 12 years gets NO marketting calls or texts... because I never give that number out... and I'm suspecting no one had it before me.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Jan 18th, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Ciel, lecale, 4sure5 and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

omg...so we're getting other people's phone numbers? that shouldn't be..../ someone told me that they have a prepaid service too and they also get this problem..I wonder if it's only with prepaid accounts...ugh this is horrible...I guess there's nothing I can do..:/ ....grrrr

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Think there is a time-out period on prior existing phone numbers before they are handed out to the next customer.

I'm aware that some phone providers make marketing messages mandatory to be received by their customers (cost per text) unless they have some text/phone bundle plan.

It could be as others have said-random phone calling (likely someone with a gadget and a jerk attitude) done by people who want to see which numbers are live/still in use. I still remember a random landline call where someone asked about an accident in the area and giving me some bogus police station number.

SpeakOut has an answer as to how to opt out of promotional marketing from SpeakOut under the Messaging questions.
    http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/suppor...text-messaging
    4sure5, JDI007, dededi and 1 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    omg...so we're getting other people's phone numbers? that shouldn't be....
    Why shouldn't it be? There are only 7.9 million possible numbers* that can EVER be used as a phone number within any area code and acceptable exchanges.

I live in New Brunswick, and I alone occupy 4 phone numbers. This includes my land line at home, my cell phone, my work cell phone, and a VoIP # I have

Consider the fact that greater Toronto has had to have FOUR area codes to cover it's population of phones (that's PHONES, not people) and they including land-lines, VoIP, and mobile phones... and that's for EVERYONE, including private citizens, and businesses alike.

Not to mention that larger businesses are able to reserve a block of numbers without actually having them active. This way if they do activate them, they fall in line with the corporate phone numbers and can be used as internal extensions.

Considering all of the above, it starts to become obvious that it's very easy to run out of phone #s and quite easy to consider that any phone number you receive these days is going to be recycled number. It's just bound to happen.

And just so it's understood: You're getting a phone # that used to belong to someone but is no longer in use. However the fact remains if that # is already logged with telemarketers, then it's already a target. Their automated systems have been dialing it since it was last active... while it was dead... and now getting you now that it's re-activated.

It would be no different than if you move into a home previously occupied by someone else, and you keep getting junk mail addressed to that person. Nothing you can do about it, someone had that address before you did and they obviously signed up for all kinds of junk mail before you lived there.

Also, getting a recycled number is not specific to any provider... they all do it (even the big three). They all have to do it. There just arent enough numbers to go around. HOWEVER, being on a small-time provider you might be more susceptible as those providers buy numbers from the larger carriers. The more they can recycle, the fewer they have to buy and keep "in stock" so to speak. As such many of these "burner" phone #s are likely recycled far more regularly.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Jan 19th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
    JDI007, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Think there is a time-out period on prior existing phone numbers before they are handed out to the next customer.
    One would hope this to be the case, but I dont think it is. If so, this would be a corporate policy with a specific carrier and not regulated by the CRTC.

I only say this because I only recently (in the past year) got a land-line phone (it was cheaper to bundle my services with a land-line than without it). In any event, I know for a fact that it was a number that was disconnected for less than a month before I had it. [long story as to how I know, but trust me, I was able to uncover this info.]

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just hate that we're getting someone else's spam...I was hoping the numbers would be somehow cleared before giving them to someone else..
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unfortunately, the only way that will happen is if the telemarketers ultimately "give up" on a number -- which won't happen with auto-dialers. That auto-dialer will call numbers that are known 'hits'... if they connect when it tries then the auto-dialer connects an agent. If it doesnt... then it tries again later... and again... and again... forever until it gets another hit.

OR -- you start asking to be put on their DO NOT CALL lists.

My mother used to just ignore the calls from 800 #s and the like, or long-distance numbers she doesn't recognize. She assumes they'll stop. But they go to voicemail, so to the dialers, that's a hit.

It was getting to the point of getting at least one a day, maybe more. She wouldnt ever answer it, just ignore it.

I told her to start answering them (since the voicemail was anyway) and insisting to be put on the DNC list, permanently. She did, and by that time the following month (yes it takes time) the calls started to stop. Now, close to 6 months later, she might get one every few weeks now, if that.

So you might have to do that. Start telling them to put you on their Do Not Call list, an insist that it's permanent.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

When I moved 13 years ago, I moved one 'street' out of the Bell area i had been in. Because of that I had to be given a 'new' number. A new number for Bell (and probably most providers) is a number that has not been used for 6 months. After 13 years, I still have companies looking for the family (the Jones') that had this telephone number before me. Some of the callers do not even believe that I am not Mrs. or Mr. Jones. I finally got a couple of fundraisers to stop calling by telling them the jones' were dead. And the Do Not Call list --never worked for me, because the Jones' had donated to their cause, they have the right to contact them. Although the number is listed on the do not call list, it is still on their donation list!
    Oh, and as of yesterday, a new pizza place has opened--their new number is one digit different from mine. Already got three orders today.. Going to love the weekend!
    luvthefree and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    Oh, and as of yesterday, a new pizza place has opened--their new number is one digit different from mine. Already got three orders today.. Going to love the weekend!
    Superbowl sunday is only 10 days away... have fun with that too!
    luvthefree and Davetherave like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    When I moved 13 years ago, I moved one 'street' out of the Bell area i had been in. Because of that I had to be given a 'new' number. A new number for Bell (and probably most providers) is a number that has not been used for 6 months. After 13 years, I still have companies looking for the family (the Jones') that had this telephone number before me. Some of the callers do not even believe that I am not Mrs. or Mr. Jones. I finally got a couple of fundraisers to stop calling by telling them the jones' were dead. And the Do Not Call list --never worked for me, because the Jones' had donated to their cause, they have the right to contact them. Although the number is listed on the do not call list, it is still on their donation list!

i can sympathize. mine is one off from the post office and i get many calls a day about postal issues.
    Davetherave likes this.

Thread Information