User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: FOODS that are cheaper to PURCHASE pre-made for less THAN making YOURSELVES

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I forgot about the St Hubert meat pies!! I bought two in December to try them and my husband loved them, i usually take a day in the winter and make individual ones for the freezer but I think these are excellent and when bought on sale very economical.
    YES!!! This is an item I have in the freezer too. I can't make it for $5!! And my teen loves them! Thanks for the reminder- I should make him one next week since I know there are a few in there!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    has anyone bought meat from a farm directly? or an abattoir?

I'm wondering what the price difference is between source and shop..
    My family used to raise beef....I Remember it seeming like a lot if money charged to cut and wrap.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Some food for thought for some to consider FB has pork 1/2 loin's on for $1.47lbs and if you have a meat grinder would be super cheap to make your own ground pork. Also make your own pork chops (fast fries other normal sized)

I will be stocking up on the 1/2 pork loins this week as they are great for pulled pork, roast pork, we cut them into pork chops as well and the roast can be cut into lunch meat which is so much cheaper than than the cold cuts which are so expensive. We also make hot roast pork sandwiches so I can't wait to stock up.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

We stocked up on the pork roasts too I also got 2 whole chickens for $1.77/lb @ No Frills and frozen Catch of the Day Basa Fillets 1.113kg bag for $8.99 @ Food Basics.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

I was pleased to find pork loin halves (I think that is what they were) on sale for $1.88/lb last week at RCSS. It was easy to slice into thin pork chops; some 3/4" cubes for Sweet and Sour Pork, and some bigger 2 pounds chunks for making pulled pork. I normally don't do this, but by investing an hour or so it was an easy way to make your food dollar go further.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    loving all the comments here!
    We stock up on frozen veggies and fruits when there is an awesome sale and no other time, same with ALL the meats I buy.
    If no sale is on for something we need that week we either do not buy any OR make the rounds scouring the WM, FB, NF and even Loblaws meat aisles for the reduced packs of various items,
    I usually score something useful and freeze it to use whenever.
    We also buy frozen fish plenty when the Basa, or Alaskan Pollock is on.
    Each year I've saved up my AM to score Metro's Prime Rib roasts when they put them on near Xmas time.
    I have not paid more than $5.00 for a WHOLE chicken ( uncooked ) in a very long time, so I would not even consider buying those Rotisserie ones, as Natalka said the prices on those keeps creeping upwards anyways, so pass!

The gang love the way I make homemade burgers as compared to anything frozen or fast food, and much like others who posted here we make our patties large, so one is more than enough with the sides.
    The only thing is I cannot stand ground pork on its own, I have used a small pack now and then to make the extra lean beef mixture of burgers or meatballs more tender and I know fat gives flavour but I get queasy just seeing too much grease in the pan as I cook.

The bottom line for me now is I want to know what ( I mean exactly ) what is IN the foods I am eating and if I buy too many prepackaged things then it is way too much guesswork. So simple healthy ingredients is what I am aiming for in the long run, it sure can be tough at times dodging the temptations of the myriad of fast food options in our area, but I have decided my health means more at this point.
    Now don't get me started on the many GC's we got as gifts over Xmas ( most are for dining out ) so that will be a challenge for me ( since I joined WW Jan 1st ) for sure!
    agree with you about the oetker pie crust mixes but i have not been able to find them anywhere around me for quite some time. they were very handy for a single crust pie or small meat pies as you could use any amount of it. lucky you to snag some for 1. syndi

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Just a heads up a changed the thread title so to properly reflect the discussions in the thread.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Not really sure about money wise but perogies are cheap to buy.
    And they are a pain to make.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I was going to say the tinned soups when on sale, but I'm of two minds on this. Last week, my throat wasn't feeling great so I brought a can of vegetable soup to work. Afterwards, my throat hurt a bit (from the sodium?) and some had gotten on the spoon handle and on my finger. My finger was bright orange. Do they add artificial colourants?

It is much better to make yourself, but the last thing you want to do when sick is buy chicken, boil, peel and cut vegetables...

If I have the time, I like making things myself, even if they are a bit more expensive. One of the reasons is that it's a learning experience and it's something that I'll always have to reference to, compared to opening a box or a tin. Most times, there's no time and no experts to teach you the subtle tips and tricks so time-wise, the convenient way is more economical. I like to consider the costs health-wise too, which might make the homemade variety "cheaper".
    Angela273, barbs, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    Not really sure about money wise but perogies are cheap to buy.
    And they are a pain to make.
    Yes they are not worth the work to make when I can buy on sale for less then $2 a box! We love them!

On date night awhile ago my honey made us homemade from scratch ravioli. Oh my it was good but took forever to make. It was like an assembly line, me rolling out the dough, him stuffing it quick before it shrinks up. Yummy but next time we will make in the afternoon not during date night lol
    Angela273, barbs, macw1960 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luvthefree View Post
    agree with you about the oetker pie crust mixes but i have not been able to find them anywhere around me for quite some time. they were very handy for a single crust pie or small meat pies as you could use any amount of it. lucky you to snag some for 1. syndi
    I buy the Robin Hood pie crust mix, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Yes they are not worth the work to make when I can buy on sale for less then $2 a box! We love them!

On date night awhile ago my honey made us homemade from scratch ravioli. Oh my it was good but took forever to make. It was like an assembly line, me rolling out the dough, him stuffing it quick before it shrinks up. Yummy but next time we will make in the afternoon not during date night lol
    You need to do the same thing making perogies - because nothing compares to the homemade ones. When we make them, I make the filling, husband rolls and cuts the dough, I fill and pinch.
    Angela273, barbs, macw1960 and 6 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I was quite surprised yesterday at the price of pre made Salads, normally we never buy them but I am on the road for work so I usually pick one up and put it in the fridge for my lunches for the week. Considering the price of produce it was actually cheaper to buy the pre made salad then making one by the time I would have purchased the Romaine, Carrots, Cucumber, tomatoes I could not have made the salad for what I paid for the pre made one.
    Purdee, Angela273, barbs and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@SassyAshley - you need to be careful with the premade salads, there is a current recall for Dole/PC and other ones because of listeria.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well I will be stocking up on the lean ground beef that is on sale at Independent grocers this week, since the price is right I will be making homemade burgers for sure....happy dance.

Perogies make a great side dish BUT I will admit I don't cook them in a broth I deep fry them and serve with sour cream yummers even the kiddos will eat them.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sat, Jan 30th, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Well I will be stocking up on the lean ground beef that is on sale at Independent grocers this week, since the price is right I will be making homemade burgers for sure....happy dance.

Perogies make a great side dish BUT I will admit I don't cook them in a broth I deep fry them and serve with sour cream yummers even the kiddos will eat them.
    We boil our perogies then fry them in butter or with bacon. Bf won't let me deep fry them as he says it's not safe they expode. He's being a fuddy fuddy about certain methods of cooking

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information