User Tag List

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1149Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My RCSS had in store made Ceaser salads today. they had a note up that it was local farmed romaine and safe.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Wow that was nice of the store!

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    My RCSS had in store made Ceaser salads today. they had a note up that it was local farmed romaine and safe.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I paid $13.56 for a large Greek salad at RCSS last night and not even bothered by it at all lol. I really had a craving for it with roast beef instead of potatoes etc. It will go a long way (have salad for my work lunch today and we will eat tonight as well)
    We were out for a work lunch the other day and lunch salads were around $18 plus tax!!! WOWZA. So I justify my purchase

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

The new year is almost here and so I am once again doing my January eat from the pantry and freezer challenge and I started today. Dinner is a quiche with a crust, the crust has been in the freezer since last winter and we don’t eat pie so this is how it’s getting used up.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

I'm planning a "no spend" January to. I want the freezer empty so I can start with fresh food. I've been so preoccupied with airmile STB, regular bonus airmiles, using coupons, collecting bonus points etc that my freezer/pantry have gotten rather full. Time to use it and save some dollars!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Lady View Post
    I'm planning a "no spend" January to. I want the freezer empty so I can start with fresh food. I've been so preoccupied with airmile STB, regular bonus airmiles, using coupons, collecting bonus points etc that my freezer/pantry have gotten rather full. Time to use it and save some dollars!
    @Lavender Lady this sort of thing happens to many of us.
    We often justify buying more sale items no matter what.
    The words of Brody in Jaws comes to mind. " you're gonna need a bigger boat! "

Some of us instead of reducing and using things up bought a second freezer! and so it goes...that one gets filled up. So no more boats!!

ha ha Good on you for making the January purge! That is real savings.
    Last edited by walkonby; Thu, Dec 27th, 2018 at 06:34 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Lady View Post
    That’s how I got to this point as well, thankfully with two teen boys it will be empty in no time.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

If I had 2 teen boys, I could continue to shop my heart out!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    That’s how I got to this point as well, thankfully with two teen boys it will be empty in no time.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

A helpful tip I got years ago is to budget for and track not just our savings, but our discretionary spending on treats, splurges and other things we buy that aren't really necessary.

I budget for the full year since expenses like eating out can vary quite a lot from one month to the next, but that's just what works for me. The key point is that I always know the running total of how much we've spent on meals out, quick snacks on the go, coffees while shopping, treats to bring home, etc.

The idea isn't to cut these expenditures out. It's to be aware of and thus to be able to control this type of spending far better than when I didn't bother to track them. In my case, when I started keeping track, it turned out I was spending significantly more than I realized.
    Giseledta, Silk, Angela273 and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I am also planing to used up lots of the Meat, seafood,and o few frozen veggies from my DH garden. I tell my self no matter how great the deal is out there I am no going to buy. And I don’t have freezer space. And have no intention to go buy a freezer. I will only be buying things like fruits, milk and yogurt .

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I too will be using up what is in my fridge freezer and just necessities in January.
    Giseledta, Natalka, Silk and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

And am going to unsubscribe to a lot of emails as I don't want any temptation in the new year.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Ditto, ditto, ditto to using up what's in my freezer and cupboard. I started already because at one point I had absolutely no space to put anything in the freezer - even to put stuff I want to freeze for future meals, like rice. It's a good time to do this since there usually aren't many coupons issued or that expire in January
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Trying to buy smaller portions of fruit/veggies that can be consumed for the most part in a few days. Find food doesn't last as long as before. This way less will be wasted .

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Silk, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

No cooking during high time this week so far. Cooked up lot of food on Sunday and we have been heating up and eating. Last night I put a roast in the oven after 7pm and sliced it up for sandwich meat for the rest of the week for lunches. Will continue for the rest of the month and hope to see a difference on hydro bill.
    Ciel, sweetmomma and coupon girl like this.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information