User Tag List

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Old Mill cracked wheat bread is back down to $1.99 per loaf (Fortinos Ancaster) . I scored two loaves on the 50% off rack then went over the regular priced bread section to verify the regular price. Must be a change due to back to school season. What a price yo-yo.
    Silk, barbis9 and cath007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have switched to PC brands to save money. I also unsubscribed to websites tempting me to spend. And find great deals on the clearance section - especially at RCSS.
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 3 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

By the way, I agree about the sensible approach to buying food. Don't buy too much. Before going to the store, I make a clear list of what you need and how much you need. And I try to choose universal options that all members of my family can eat. And the savings, and tired of cooking for each individually, to be honest. We don't buy newspapers and magazines for a long time - we have the Internet. Books in electronic form are cheaper, and some can be found for free. It saves both money and space.
    Silk, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The main drawback of e-books is anything with photos-usually I cannot see more than the top of a photo on any ebook page (which makes recipe books or hobby books a chore to look at on a reader). I like books that are text only. Papers-a friend is giving me her week's worth of daily papers so I can see what print news I've missed. I may purchase newspapers 2-3 times per month (Toronto ones) to get more news.

I intend to shift towards store brand canned veggies and fruits to see if that helps financially with cost of staples.

Aside from the potato drought during the summer in PEI that prompted the spike in potato costs, we can also expect those California wildfires to make any produce we get for fall/winter to be very dearly priced as well (expect Napa Valley wines to spike too as some vineyards have been burned). See if you can learn to love some local root or winter squash varieties instead or buy canned varieties.
    Silk and cath007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PC Express Provigo in Gatineau charged me $5.49 for 3 medium gala apples. Seems high to me. I can't call to question the charge because of the language barrier...they don't understand my English or French, so they often put me on hold, and then hang up on me. Bought 2 bags of salad, one expired the same day as pick-up, and the other expired the next day...again, I am just stuck with the cost. I can't go in to customer service because I am in the vulnerable group; don't want to chance going inside a store. They overcharged on the advertised meat too. I feel that this store is probably somehow owed by Trump.
    Silk, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ maybe call head office
    Silk, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GatineauGirl View Post
    PC Express Provigo in Gatineau charged me $5.49 for 3 medium gala apples. Seems high to me. I can't call to question the charge because of the language barrier...they don't understand my English or French, so they often put me on hold, and then hang up on me. Bought 2 bags of salad, one expired the same day as pick-up, and the other expired the next day...again, I am just stuck with the cost. I can't go in to customer service because I am in the vulnerable group; don't want to chance going inside a store. They overcharged on the advertised meat too. I feel that this store is probably somehow owed by Trump.
    @GatineauGirl - Call the 1-800 / toll-free number for president's choice CS that is good for across Canada. You should be able to get someone who speaks English. Explain the situation, etc. If you don't get a satisfactory response, ask to speak to customer relations or call Loblaw's HQ and ask the secretary who can you speak to in customer relations.

I have called once or twice and always got someone who spoke and understood English. I don't have the # but you can Google it. Good luck!
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks. I called the PC Help and the message said that they were experiencing longer-than-normal wait times and that it would take 30 minutes before anyone could take my call. Gosh, I miss the glory days of being able to go into a store! Am grateful that I have food to eat, and that the PC Express will bring groceries to my car. (I paid $119 plus tax for this service, mind you.) I miss using coupons too, LOL. Oh well, there is always chocolate, I suppose...
    Silk, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I also miss being able to just call a store and talk to them. A few weeks ago of course the one time I did not check my receipt before I left the store they did not price match my butter and yes I just wanted to call the store and ask if they would correct if I came back but you have to call Head Office.

Quote Originally Posted by GatineauGirl View Post
    Thanks. I called the PC Help and the message said that they were experiencing longer-than-normal wait times and that it would take 30 minutes before anyone could take my call. Gosh, I miss the glory days of being able to go into a store! Am grateful that I have food to eat, and that the PC Express will bring groceries to my car. (I paid $119 plus tax for this service, mind you.) I miss using coupons too, LOL. Oh well, there is always chocolate, I suppose...
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I also miss being able to just call a store and talk to them. A few weeks ago of course the one time I did not check my receipt before I left the store they did not price match my butter and yes I just wanted to call the store and ask if they would correct if I came back but you have to call Head Office.
    We never seem to have a problem dealing with the customer service department either on the phone or in person at the RCSS near us. It does not matter if it was a cashier problem or a mistake on our part, they always seem happy to make it right. It is not very often when we call that we wait on hole for more than a couple of minutes.
    Ciel, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Love the Customer service at the RCSS I shop at
    On Wednesday I PM 4 Hunts pasta sauce at RCSS $1.00 each was charged for 5 pasta sauce didn’t realized this until I got home I did not call but I was there today buying Lottery and mentioned it to the employee working at customer service . I had my receipt with me but the employee didn’t care to see the receipt was told to go get a sauce or I can have the refund of the $1.00 I choose to take the pasta sauce. I find that at that particular RCSS most of there employees are ready to help
    Ciel, sweetmomma, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

With the crazy price of meat I am checking food hero and flashfoof most day to check if they have deal on meat we need.
    Ciel and Thatdone like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    With the crazy price of meat I am checking food hero and flashfood most day to check if they have deal on meat we need.
    I have found that most meat deals on Flashfood that are listed in the two stores that i go to go really quick soon after they are listed. Seafood does not seem to go near as quick and i think alot of it is taken off because it expires before someone purchases.
    I hope that the night that the products actually hit the best before date that the employees that are workiing late get a chance to take the products home rather that bulk lift them
    Ciel and cath007 like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thatdone View Post
    I have found that most meat deals on Flashfood that are listed in the two stores that i go to go really quick soon after they are listed. Seafood does not seem to go near as quick and i think alot of it is taken off because it expires before someone purchases.
    I hope that the night that the products actually hit the best before date that the employees that are workiing late get a chance to take the products home rather that bulk lift them
    Well.... I can give some insight into that... If something (I.E. Meat) does not sell on Flash Food... It goes into the garbage. No questions, nothing for staff, nothing at all!
    Ciel, cath007 and Thatdone like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    Well.... I can give some insight into that... If something (I.E. Meat) does not sell on Flash Food... It goes into the garbage. No questions, nothing for staff, nothing at all!
    That is too bad because im sure alot of it being trashed has the same expiry date as the night that they are tossing it.
    Ciel and cath007 like this.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information