User Tag List

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Like Tree3260Likes

Thread: February 2016 Frugal chatter thread - All Welcome!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Wow what a week it has been. I have to laugh as to top it off I got an email last night around 6:30 telling me to go to a different location today which made me laugh as it was the perfect way to cap off this week. So I am now in another location for the morning but have to shoot back to my home location this afternoon for a meeting.

Everything was a success at both meetings, those who ate them loved the desserts, some did skip them as we had so much food everyone was stuffed. The coffee time snacks also went over well with one brother picking up the cinnamon blondie going what is this and when I explained her said that sound skeptical but then proceeded to eat 3 so I think I have his approval. Other bro is on a no carb diet and I caught him after the meeting well we were cleaning up smelling the peanut butter cookie brownies he could not eat.

A lot came out of both meetings so the next month for me is going to be insane starting Monday. This weekend we upgrade our processing system and since I am the system expert I have been very hands on with everything going on, well Monday is go live day. I will be in my home location dealing with any issues as well keeping on top of our out of town branches to make sure nothing goes wrong at their ends. We will have support in one location but I will be the master of the lists and constant caller.

We are also on promo for the next 5 weeks which means we will be insanely busy which means I will be back to helping out the order desk as we are expecting a huge volume of orders. As well we have many changes coming within our system, many of which with my new role I will be taking charge on and completing. I have lost track of the number of spreadsheets that are currently on my desk to be completed this month and none are small, one project alone if over 500 pages.

So with that being said being frugal will be easy as I won't have time to think about anything else.

Think we are going to go out tonight after work, Mom needs new shoes and since we are out we might as well grocery shop as well. Not a lot to get but a few stock up items on sale as well as some fresh fruits and veg for next week. It looks like pretty much all of March I will be on a travel ban so I will either be in my home location or our second Head Office which is commutable so my goal this weekend is to plan ahead for the month to come as I think my available time to cook will be limited.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, must get back to my notes from the meetings and see what all I can get done before they shut down our system at 5 today to prepare for the upgrade.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Another day to be spent working on my course.

Remember all that Enfamil? Le sigh. Not sure it is working out. I have found a sample can of Similac to see if DD takes to it better or if it just formula she is not happy with (it has been 3 weeks). With my other daughter once we switched to Similac, she took better. I will be returning the samples to the Drs if that is the case. If not, I will persist, persist.

The plan for Similac will be to get coupons and cheques if I can and rack up SDM points. I may try switching to Kirkland (Costco) formula (in combination with homo milk) when she is fully weaned. I usually like to do until 18 months and can eat well.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great news for any of you low income folks in Ontario with University age kids!! I think we might have to move there-lol!!

Granger-FYI the newborn twins got an Enfamil supplement in the hospital and when they came home the nurse told them Carnation Good Start was better so the family has used that for occasional supplement to BF-not sure if that is fact or opinion but if the Similac does not work for you might be worth considering.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Great news for any of you low income folks in Ontario with University age kids!! I think we might have to move there-lol!!

Granger-FYI the newborn twins got an Enfamil supplement in the hospital and when they came home the nurse told them Carnation Good Start was better so the family has used that for occasional supplement to BF-not sure if that is fact or opinion but if the Similac does not work for you might be worth considering.

I'm not so sure what to think about the free tuition for low income families. We are low income (less than $40K a year) and have our last son in university now. He is covering all his own university costs and doing fine. Sure, he has to work hard (has a side job on a farm) but isn't that what generations before had to so as well? I'm afraid that a lot of young people are losing good work ethic.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post

We did Good Start with my first after Enfamil didn't pan out. Thank you for the suggestion I went with Similac for my second bc that is what the Dr. had samples of and liked it even better (tasted the best to me). I can already tell the Similac is going to work. I tasted it again today. It is far sweeter and similar to taste to breast milk (don't ask?!?! ) The Enfamil tastes harsh and metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    I'm not so sure what to think about the free tuition for low income families. We are low income (less than $40K a year) and have our last son in university now. He is covering all his own university costs and doing fine. Sure, he has to work hard (has a side job on a farm) but isn't that what generations before had to so as well? I'm afraid that a lot of young people are losing good work ethic.
    I agree. There are people that need help, but it is hard to distinguish who. I am concerned that the budget we see will drive the working poor, poorer. Middle class families may be hurt here. Those scraping by in the books but are well off by societies standards. It is like a friend of mine says about the Ontario budget...I am being punished for working my tail off. We can't generalize and compare situations collectively, but I see her point of view.
    Last edited by Granger; Fri, Feb 26th, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    You should be one proud Mom, It is hard work going to post secondary and working but you are right it is doable, I am not sure how I feel about it either, but I am leaning towards not feeling good about it. I think that handouts make people take school less seriously, after all what would the consequence of failing be? I would like to see people have to attain certain grades and attendance in order to benefit from this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-thanks smart canucks -free code for shipping on hatley website-oh yeah plus ebates too
    -just ordered myself a night shirt -a reduced one so 16.00 with tax 18.08 -lets hope one size fits all fits my xl size -I think so thou I once bought ashlyn in pharmasave a short sleeve red onsie cost 7.00 they are reg 19.00 it was so well made in Canada
    - I am loving on line shopping -yeah something for me after a hard day work cleaning laundry -son dropped in for a chat by himself -and I cleaned all my spices cupboard out -checked a lot of old spices etc and cleaned and organized -feels so good -after I read that book it inspired me to go thru the whole house bit by bit

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    It's been a long time since we had a QOTD! Or is it just me that has too much commuting time to ponder these life questions?

QOTD: Do you limit the amount of stockpile items you have? For example, how much toilet paper is enough? When it reaches your ceiling? When you open the pantry and there's one left? Do you just buy willy nilly and make the space
    I don't limit, if I think something is an exceptional deal then I will buy as much as I think I need for the next couple of months for food items.
    I do stock more on paper products. My husband asked if I was going to help Donald Trump build the wall with it!!

Do you have a set number of items for each category? Is there a spot that you fill with an item and when that spot is full, you wait until your stock goes down?
    Nope, I have really cut back on stocking things unless it is a smoking deal. I have also started canning more food so yes I do keep a stock of that!!

Do you keep track of how many you have at any given time? Or do you always keep a healthy stock of everything?
    I keep track in my head, not fool proof but the store is 5 minutes away so it is never a catastrophe if something runs out, I tend to be a make do person!!

When there is a limit to sales, do you just buy the limit, or only according to what's on your list?
    Just buy what I feel I can budget for at the time.
    If the price is lower than the price you've set as your stock up price or a good price, can you convince yourself to buy even though you have "enough"?
    On non perishables, yes!!
    For me, I'd have to say I designate a space for everything. Once that space is full, I accept no other offers. However, if the price is right, I start asking close family if they need any. If only I could work out like my credit card. Sigh!
    A little late but here goes!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hubby and I had a treat night -went to fortinos and had hot food -I had chicken breast ,hubby had a few wings and we shared fries and drinks came to 20.00-and I had 2,000 when you spend 10.00 on hot foods =2,000 points for me
    -sometimes you just gotta treat yourself -we had a small bit of money left over this month so decided to go out

tomorrow is my son birthday he is 31 and we are going to Toronto with son/his wife and ashlyn to visit at my daughter's condo -we are celebrating my sonm's birthday with my daughter cooking roasted chicken and mashed potatoes with a wine reduction sauce and cupcakes for dessert -cant wait to go seen my daughter 3 times this month and I am loving it

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hey Coupngirl, our kids have the same birthday, my oldest daughter turns 36 tomorrow!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

If you look closely at what the government offered it does not cover a degree, so in typical government fashion it looks good on the surface. It covers 2.5 yrs. of tuition at best (caps out at about 16000) & only if you live at home. As someone who would have qualified when I went to school I agree this is not building a work ethic. I busted my butt from the time I was 14 g to save for not one but two degrees and waited until I was married to get my masters & only applied after I paid off the under grad degree. So my hard work has resulted in becoming middle class & now in addition to saving for my own kids to go to school I get to be taxed to cover this. I don’t disagree with the concept but there was no thought & not enough rules. I think if you don't finish the degree or flunk should be a financial impact & there should be rules around what program qualifies with more money going to those we need. The universities are already flooded with kids getting a BA and many BAs won’t get you a job so why would we promote another BA in Sociology (I get to mock this one because it’s what I have as my under grad). Both my kids are thinking of a trade and I say go for it if this will make you happy. DH went to college and did a three yr. program. His salary has always outpaced mine & our kids know this. I don’t regret my studies but it’s a long time in school & a very costly adventure. I think they should have done something about managing the rising cost of tuition, but I am biased as we are less than 2 years away to the oldest going to college or uni.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Very well said Lilo!! I agree 100%, I believe that people need to factor education in when planning a family.Money was tight with our older daughters and we scraped and saved to help them out, they also worked and received bursaries and some small scholarships for playing soccer for their colleges but it was very tight. We are much more established now for our younger two but we will still require that they have saved from part time jobs and feel they should work part time to contribute while in school, our last one will be starting at Sait in the fall if all goes well and has chosen a trade which surprised us because he did a 360 because originally he was thinking dentistry or law, we fully support his decision and reasoning to become a power engineer and feel his decision is the right one for him.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

TG: our older son always knew what he wanted to be, from the time he was three it never changed. Then he announced he wants to be an electrician. A couple of weeks ago he fixed a broken wii u charger on his own. It was pretty impressive to see and his brother was very impressed as he was the one that broke it. He also has quiet a skill with computers but that's what dad does so it's not as interesting.
    The boys have always had to save part of every gift of money or money earned and it's in account they can't touch. DH and I fund the RESP but they will thank me for this forced saving when the time comes.Logan has just asked for a paper route and together we came up with his savings plan 50% for school, 20% on stupid stuff and the rest for a big ticket item. He wants a new iPod. I Think everyone needs a stupid stuff line in their budget.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

We have been without hydro since Wednesday 11pm it finally came back on yesterday at 1pm....my freezers were starting to thaw.

Anyways I'm off to buy some 2nd hand frame wall hangings this afternoon for our new bedroom reno....I fell in love with 1 and can't stop thinking about it.

Does anyone watch Fixer Upper, tv show? Anyways we have always had the aclectlic style BUT Johanna Gaines has a natural style.

While out I will do a shoppers run got a point offer plus spend $75 get $10 sdm card & $10 restaurant gc so well worth the shopping.

Wishing everyone a great day
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Glad your power is back on J and C. On the tuition question I agree with what a lot of people have said.

However, I have to say I too had pretty good financial support when I went to university at 20 as a "mature student". My parents were low income but I think only my income/assets were counted as I had lived independently for 3 years. I had been working and saved up for 3 years, but costs seemed way lower and I did get some Ontario gov't bursary and a small Canada student loan which I paid back right after my 4 year degree before the interest free period ended. I did not have a "real" job during university but always earned money babysitting on weekends and in the summer so it helped out my budget.

I guess, as far as I know, we taxpayers all fund universities to a certain degree through our general taxes. Even though I did receive some govt funding, I was a serious student, and I like to think I have given back to society over the years of my career through my work with families of children with medical illness or disabilities.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread Information