User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ontario Energy Group is a scam!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know if anyone else here has had those people who go door to door offering free this and free that or special offers/deals, well back in about Aug. or so a young man came to our door and offered us free ac and furnace, it was free because he told us on our bills we had 2 energy companies and the 2nd one was a third party company and they were overcharging us extra fee's, so what he (OEG) was going to do is cancel that third party company for us for free and the charges would stop, which in return equals lower energy bills almost cut in half, then they would then take all those charges throughout the years, calculate them and use those overcharges to pay for the ac and furnace which both cost over 5k by the way, but they said we have enough and we wouldn't have to pay a dime! sounds good doesn't it?

Well....that was a lie.
    We're now in March and ever since that day and after the installation finished after everything was done, since Oct. they started charging us (third party started charging us for ac/furnace not OEG BUT OEG was supposed to CANCEL third party!!!!! SUPPOSED TO back in Aug!) third party has now charged us over 1k and it's going to keep coming until the ac/furnace are paid off so until they take out 5k from us! from our bank account! because OEG lied to us! because they're scammers! AVOID AVOID AVOID anyone who comes to your door and offers you anything! sure it sounds real and all and they do a damn good job explaining how everything will work but they go back on their word and you can't do sh!t about it.

Of course we have tried calling everywhere we can to straighten this out, multiple times even to the guy who was here and even after our phone call I emailed him the proof of the charges and he said he would cancel them "right away".... nope! never happened! well I hope a SOB scammer like you is sleeping well at night! you inhuman piece of sh!t!

We are beyond furious! this is not ok! I don't know how they keep getting away with this if they keep doing this to other people!
    I saw them going door to door to almost everyone in our area..did they scam them too?

The first time I called OEG and told them about the guy who offered us the deal etc and how this is all wrong he didn't even have a clue what I was talking about!? can you believe that? 2 people who work for the same company have no idea wth is going on!......hmm....very interesting...maybe this is why your employee's are free to scam whoever the hell they want!!!? because you don't even know what they're doing out there!! He did have us on file but he had a different file on us..that said we were to pay for everything!! wth is going on? he had no clue what the other guy offered us! how is that even possible you work for the same company!

I will never again trust OEG, I will always speak negatively about them, no matter the outcome of this situation but it's way too late anyway they have already taken too much money from us, it's too late they're scammers that's it. That is my opinion.

All I can say is avoid everyone and anyone who knocks on your door telling your they're from OEG here to offer you something.
    Or just anyone in general who knocks on your door, I certainly will not answer, if anything I will tell them to gtfo!

Has anyone here ever been scammed in something similar? I never thought I'd be so stupid.. I'm only mad at myself now, never again.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm not even from Ontario, but I've read a lot about this over the past year.

Do some googling, see if you can see experiences others have had and what they did to resolve things.
    Going to your local media is an option, as well -
    JDI007 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh really? wow I had no idea this was a well known scam..completely mind blowing!/will also google. I only wish there was another energy company we could use, but I asked my dad and he said that they're the only one as far as he knows :/ but if anyone in Ontario knows of another company please let us know..?

How is it that they're even in business after all these scams? that's crazy..I only wish I would have verified this before going into it..I'm an idiot..
    Last edited by JDI007; Tue, Mar 1st, 2016 at 06:14 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    Has anyone here ever been scammed in something similar? I never thought I'd be so stupid.. I'm only mad at myself now, never again.
    Thanks for your thread.
    It has happened to a few people.
    So much, that the government of Ontario has information on their website

Heating and energy

You do not have to sign a home energy contract. However, you should know who supplies your electricity or natural gas and how much energy you use every month.
    The Energy Consumer Protection Act protects consumers from unfair or misleading energy companies.
    Companies that sell energy contracts must be licenced by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) and must obey Ontario’s laws and rules.
    The OEB also has information on:

• what to consider before signing an energy contract
    • your rights and responsibilities
    • the rules around how energy contracts can be renewed

Read about energy contracts from the OEB.
    Also, they want you to tell them what happened
    http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB...er%20Relations
    JDI007 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

They came to our door too. Saw them up the street going door to door, first.
    They were pushy at the door.
    Shwa Girl's Rules about Knocking on our Door:
    1. Did we ask for you to come over? No? Go away.
    2. Do we know you? No? Go away.
    3. Will you leave us some information so we can review? No? You want to sign NOW? Go away.
    4. Did a trusted trade or government site recommend you? No? Go. Away.
    And. don't. come. back.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Tue, Mar 1st, 2016 at 06:42 PM.
    Colsgirl, Ciel, tobiwobi and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The scammers try every now and then here BUT most of the neighbours around me are wise to it. The seniors in our hood, we watch out for them all the time! We tell them " do not even open the door " , let them knock till their hands bruise. The last ones here ( 2 guys in their late 20's maybe? ) left our door after I got rather irate at their insistence. Then while they were still harassing my elderly neightbour 2 doors over, DH went out to get them off her doorstep and they swore at him and said " Get a Life " or something like that!

shysters!!
    Shwa Girl and JDI007 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Oh, Ellen Roseman (Toronto Star) has written columns on energy companies knocking on doors. About contracts, cancellation policies, agents not showing id or asking for entry into homes or to see one's energy bills, etc.

BTW, when a resident asks people to leave their property, that request needs to be complied with or expect the matter to get complicated (police call).
    JDI007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Sorry this happened to you. I don't answer my door for anyone anymore. They are pushy and make it seem amazing.

The best ones are when they "urgently need to see my furnace to save us money blah blah blah" super interesting since we don't actually have a furnace... Lol

A good rule of thumb if they are being jerks is to ask for a pamphlet you can call about to confirm, won't give you one "buh bye".

I know that doesn't help now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JDI007 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for your input guys, the situation has become so bad that we are thinking of moving..as it is the only way to get rid of these crazy monthly fee's/ is the only way out ...oh I found out there is a cancellation fee..but it's $4,500 dollars...which is insane, nobody would ever pay that! $4,500?? for what? for someone to come in and remove the ac/furnace? it's their equipment, we shouldn't be paying for them to remove it..we already paid for installation etc..sigh this is brutal..
    I'v been in contact with the people who were at our door/set everything up, but now they're saying different things like they told us from the beginning there was going to be a rental fee which is absolutely false, that is not what they said at all! I think I would have remembered those words, because I never would have agreed to them!! ever! I don't know how many companies are in on this, there's OEG, and then there are the people who were at our door who are saying they don't work with OEG, but when I called OEG they knew them so what the hell? both scammers , then there's people who are charging us monthly rental fee's and when we called them they didn't even know who we are, yea they don't know who we are but they know that they're taking money from us monthly-scammers, and then there are people who own the ac/furnace scammers #4...holy moly! it's crazy! everyone's getting a piece of our money I'm guessing.. it's very sad that we'v been left with no choice but to move. We just simply cannot afford to pay the charges...which they said was for over 10 years...10 years!!! that's madness. They said it's not just for ac/furnace but once you're done paying for that you're left paying for all the labour fee's, interest etc.. which is gonna come out to be over 20k, it's absolutely mind blowing they're just making up fee's. This is not what we were told on day 1-because nobody would ever agree to this.
    I'v been reading up on this online from several people..but only encountered one person who was saying how they were forced to move as well because they couldn't afford the fee's..I just hope we can find a house..that's also going to be a challenge
    Last edited by JDI007; Fri, Mar 11th, 2016 at 05:09 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I had some guy from ECO ENERGY come on my door step.

Extremely rude, aggressive , condescending , pushy and sarcastic ,misleading & liar, when I told him NO at least 5-6 times .

I had to slam the door in his face, otherwise he wouldn't leave my porch. Firm & polite, 5-6 No's were not enough for him. To the best of my knowledge, they are on pure commission i.e no base salary or hourly salary. They get $ 100 per door ( could be more by now ) they sign up. Hence they are are extremely aggressive. If they don't get a sale, they don't get paid, so they don't even get hourly minimum wage.

A Van or Car comes and parachute drops the 4-5 candidates aka rude, arrogant, aggressive sales people in one particular area.

After 8-10 hrs the car or van comes back and picks them up. In these 8-10 hrs these 4-5 candidates harass, intimidate & bully people in one particular area..literally going to hundred's of houses door by door , street by street, block by block.

Next day the van drops them in some other area after one area is done.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

1. Rental Water Heater.
    2. Heating Furnace Rental.
    3. Your Hydro Bill i.e electricity.
    4. Your Heating Bill.

Switching them over to them and signing you for a 15 year contract and then having huge massive penalties & fees for cancelling them are their favourite tactics. What they are offering you is always way more expensive than your current bills. Expect your bills to even double in most cases, if you sign up with them or forced/bullied to sign up with them.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JDI007 View Post
    Oh really? wow I had no idea this was a well known scam..completely mind blowing!/will also google. I only wish there was another energy company we could use, but I asked my dad and he said that they're the only one as far as he knows :/ but if anyone in Ontario knows of another company please let us know..?

How is it that they're even in business after all these scams? that's crazy..I only wish I would have verified this before going into it..I'm an idiot..
    No you are not. They have scammed lot of people before. They are extremely well trained to scam people through lies, deceits, misleading statement's and plain out bullying, threats and intimidation. Some have even got physical with customer's by pushing & shoving them aside and going inside their house.

They prey on nice & decent trusting and honest folks like you. Not your fault that you are decent. These guys have no shame, no ethics, no values, no principle whatsoever.

Unless the government and/or police totally ban door to door pushy salespeople, the same way they have banned telemarketing, these scams will continue.

remember one thing, whenever someone comes to your door step they are NOT there to save you money, they are there to TAKE money from you. Doesn't matter, who it is, no one is so kind and big hearted that they go door to door saving people money.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JDI007 View Post

Which city are you in ? Always go for the Gov. and City related primary company ..never go for these third party companies..they are just energy and furnace/ac/water heater resellers that's all. They are just middleman, nothing more nothing less.

So only companies like Enbridge, Toronto Hydro etc. There should only be ONE company on your bill, the original primary gov. or city or province related/regulated company. The moment there is a second company on your bill, you are getting scammed by a third party reseller/middleman.

Your Water Heater, AC , Furnace all should be bought out right i.e ownership..they should never be a rental . You can finance them through your bank if you can't afford a one time payment.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OP: I have a question for you, as I lived in Ontario before as well and I remember getting the knocks on the door all the time from Scammers such as these.

Anyways, my question is: Are you selling a home that you own or renting? (I am assuming you own) Would you not have to let the new homeowners know of this contract? Or does this contract become null and void when new ownership takes place?

I owned when I lived in Ontario and had to inform the new owners that there was a Utilities Rental Agreement, this is why I ask.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

How the government allows this door to door nonsense is beyond me, especially since telemarketing is banned. I consider this door to door to be way more aggressive than telemarketing.

with telemarketing atleast you can slam the phone down and not answer it again. With this door to door scam, the guy is right outside willing to get physical with you and has your addy everything and can do you so much harm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information