User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Passport Photo at Walmart

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I'm fuming right now. Yesterday I got my passport photo taken because it is up for renewal. The first time we got them done we went to RCSS where I believe we paid $9.99 for them five years ago. DH had to get another passport photo taken about 6 months ago for another form of license and he went to Walmart where I believe it was less then $20.

So yesterday I was shocked when the cashier told me it was over $30 after taxes for a two second photo she took. I asked her didn't it used to be $9.99?! to which she told me that maybe once upon a time 20 years ago but never since she has worked there. So I grudgingly paid thinking maybe I didn't remember my pricing correctly as it had been 5 years.

So then today I'm looking at my receipt and it says I bought a "passport wallet". I bought passport pictures and was told that I received a FREE wallet with the purchase. I did NOT purchase a passport wallet. So I called the portrait studio (two of them to make sure) and they both told me that the price I was charged is correct and it is the same price with or without the wallet. When I quizzed them as to why my receipt says I was charged for a passport wallet when I didn't in fact buy one they said thats just the way it gets entered into the system.

Upon further investigation Costco only charges $6.99 for passport photos and I'm sure some other retailers are cheaper as well than the $30+ I paid to Walmart. At this point I'm so mad because I feel I've been conned and I paid almost 4 times the amount that I should have. And its not like I can return a picture. Sigh.

Learn from my mistake and do not go to Walmart portrait studio for passport photos unless you want to be swindled.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Walmart, 123inkcartridges.ca
    Last edited by PurpleBunny89; Fri, Mar 4th, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Durham Couponer likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You should contact the store manager and district manager at that location.Their phone numbers should be on a sign behind customer service.Was there any signs in photo section that said what the price was for the passport photo was?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Can you go to the returns desk, ask for the manager, and tell them you didn't ask for the wallet and just want to buy the photos? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but you might get an understanding person.

WM is the closest store to me but I try my best to avoid them as much as possible.
    GoJays and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Yep Walmart's prices went way up for passport photos in the past year. They used to be 9.99 for just the picture or 14.99 with the wallet. I got my toddler's done there in the summer and was told it's the same price with or without the wallet as well.
    Then I went to Shoppers to get mine done a couple of weeks later and it was only 12.99 :/
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got my passport photo done at London Drugs last year for $11.99 and they said have a special camera that guarantees the photo will be accepted and if photo isn't accepted by Passport Canada you get a $50 London Drugs gift card.
    PurpleBunny89 and Arvilish like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    Yep Walmart's prices went way up for passport photos in the past year. They used to be 9.99 for just the picture or 14.99 with the wallet. I got my toddler's done there in the summer and was told it's the same price with or without the wallet as well.
    Then I went to Shoppers to get mine done a couple of weeks later and it was only 12.99 :/
    There was a thread in another forum that starts with r that passport photos cost $25 last year at Walmart.
    Last edited by Poirot; Fri, Mar 4th, 2016 at 02:37 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Passport pictures are the biggest rip off. They know you don't have much choice so they charge a ridiculous price. It probably cost them 50 cents for that damn picture. Really what you're paying for is the stupid stamp on the back of the picture.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went through the same thing last summer. On the day I went into the Passport office, I went to RASS (no photo lab person on duty), Shoppers (camera didn't work), Walmart (said no thanks after asking the price), and then Costco. I should have just gone to Costco first as they were, by far, the best option. Like OP, I was shocked at how much Walmart was compared to the others. I wondered if they didn't want to do passport photos with the outrageous price.

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Was there any signs in photo section that said what the price was for the passport photo was?
    There wasn't a price shown anywhere at my local Walmart. I wonder if you can price match if another retailer has a special in their flyer.
    Lyssia510 and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

What a Rip-Off , even my local SDM only charges $ 12.99 for a PP photo .

Even the private small guy who is just below the PP office I go to and does urgent photos on the spot, charges less than 20 bucks inclusive of taxes. I usually go to him in case the PP office rejects the photo, I don't waste a trip and he re does it for me FREE on the spot, so I can go upstairs again with the new photo. So my time and money and trip and energy is saved.

Its about time we Canadians boycott Wal Mart, their service and attitude is getting worse by the day. I mean they were always bad , but lately after Target left, it's even worse !

There is a MYTH that Wal Mart is cheap. they are not. They ripped my mom off at their Vision Centre, selling and up selling her some ridiculous prescription glasses. The same can be had elsewhere for half the price. Lot of lies and misinformation and bait and switch was given, while selling the glasses. The final price and product was miles below, what was promised and expected

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If this was the portrait studio inside Walmart, Walmart does NOT own or operate the portrait studios. The portrait studios inside Walmart stores are owned and operated by Photos Unlimited. Walmart has no control or say in what the portrait studios charge.

http://studios.photosunlimited.ca/

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Thanks for all the comments unfortunately you guys are just reiterating the fact that I got ripped off. I only went there because I assumed most places would be about the same price because otherwise how would they get any business plus Walmart is generally low priced.

DH also informed me they are probably privately owned.

I've called and they won't do anything about it. Tell me I cannot return pictures. Prices were not posted anywhere.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    If this was the portrait studio inside Walmart, Walmart does NOT own or operate the portrait studios. The portrait studios inside Walmart stores are owned and operated by Photos Unlimited. Walmart has no control or say in what the portrait studios charge.

http://studios.photosunlimited.ca/
    I've emailed them requesting a partial refund between the average cost in my area of passport photos and what I was charged. I don't hold high hopes of being responded to never mind getting what I requested.

EDIT: I've also found their BBB page and will file a complaint there if necessary if I do not get a response. It may seem like a lot of work for $18ish but to be honest its more about the fact that they con people into getting a free passport wallet and then my receipt states that I paid over $30 for it.
    Last edited by PurpleBunny89; Fri, Mar 4th, 2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

That's so expensive! For whoever needs a photo, the convenience stores next to passport offices charge only $10 or so. I've had a passport office people in 2 different locations tell me that the convenience store people take the best photos anyway.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mother has also gotten her passport pictures from WalMart, and unfortunately it has always been super expensive. She paid about the same amount. I know SDM is way cheaper like $15 I believe.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Not putting a price , seems to be a deliberate ploy, to scam people !!!

My SDM clearly has the price prominently displayed, not sure, why WM can't do the same !

Imagine if they had asked for 50 bucks ! Then, what ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information