User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Rena13
  • 2 Post By EvilTofu
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By greeny

Thread: Where can I purchase a good rolling pin?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I need to get a new rolling pin for my mother. She uses hers almost every day. She has always used a wooden one but the problem is she soaks it in water and they ruin. I am trying to convince her to try one that is not wooden. Any suggestions? Where can I purchase a good quality one that can be soaked and is not wooden? I am not interested in shopping on-line. I have looked at Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire with no luck. Thank you !
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Walmart

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you have a Kitchen Stuff Plus anywhere near you? That place is awesome... they have every kitchen utensil you could think of. They have silicone rolling pins there. They are more expensive than your average wood one, but it may be what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Rena13; Tue, Mar 22nd, 2016 at 03:24 PM.
    Ciel, greeny and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A good rolling pin is a wooden one. They can grip dough without oversticking. Cook's Illustrated recommends J.K. Adams Plain Maple Rolling Dowel (USD$13.95).

But I get what you mean, soaking not only ruin the wood, it increases bacterial growth. But don't get metal ones, they are heavy and smash dough causing cracks and sticking. Silicone ones kinda just glide on top, rather than rolling it out. If you do want silicone, try to find a textured one.

You know, I'd just buy the cheapest ones by the bulk if I were you. If you live in Toronto, that restaurant supply store in Chinatown with ugly yellow sign (http://tapphong.com/) has the best bargain.
    greeny and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I say, try to convince her not to soak it. The best one I've ever had is the one I'm still using, a plain piece of wood, narrower at the ends but no handles really. I wet it to wash, but just a quick rub with a washcloth gets it clean. I think I also have a wooden one with a handle through it from the dollar store if she can't be convinced.
    greeny likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a silicone one on sale at Real Canadian Super Store for 10 bucks. Hopefully it will do the job and make her happy lol.
    Last edited by greeny; Wed, Mar 23rd, 2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information