User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Keeping kids off my lawn !

  1. #16
    Scottishgal
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern ON
    Posts
    3,583
    Likes Received
    2952
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)




    Liliac bushes grow very quick. There are sooo many beautiful colors. White, Mauve, Purple, Multi colors, etc. You can ask around if anyone has some Liliac Bushes planted in their yards. In the Spring there are lots of suckers ( Small attached baby Liliacs ) that you can dig up and transplant in your yard. This will not hurt the mother plant. Many people will give them away for free as they rob nourishment from the mother plant. . You could plants lots of these in a rows all around your house Add a few big signs saying, " Please don't step on the plants".
    Last edited by Scottishgal; Wed, Mar 23rd, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
    Ciel, greeny, Decaf and 3 others like this.

  2. #17
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Likes Received
    6820
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)




    I wonder if having a huge dog would work?
    Ciel and toronto166 like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

    Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

  3. #18
    Canadian Guru Midnightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    12,378
    Likes Received
    6396
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgal View Post
    Liliac bushes grow very quick. There are sooo many beautiful colors. White, Mauve, Purple, Multi colors, etc. You can ask around if anyone has some Liliac Bushes planted in their yards. In the Spring there are lots of suckers ( Small attached baby Liliacs ) that you can dig up and transplant in your yard. This will not hurt the mother plant. Many people will give them away for free as they rob nourishment from the mother plant. . You could plants lots of these in a rows all around your house Add a few big signs saying, " Please don't step on the plants".

    bamboo also grows really quickly too!
    Ciel likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

  4. #19
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,553
    Likes Received
    7674
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    Poison ivy grows quickly too!! Hahaha, only joking!!!

  5. #20
    Master Baiter electric_viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Valhǫllr - "hall of the slain"
    Age
    61
    Posts
    27,725
    Likes Received
    12380
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    electrified fence works. keeps cows and horses in their place.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl, SavvyLady and 1 others like this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

  6. #21
    Mastermind Shwa Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    24,158
    Likes Received
    40639
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Try the chain link fence, put up private property no trespassing sign. Security camera sign, dog sign ect...just to help them visualize that the area belongs to someone now. Plant a hedge.

    Try to make the area un-attractive for kids as possible. Put "keep off lawn, pesticide spray" sign. Bribe them with chocolate when you tell them to go play at the park. I don't know if that doesn't work yell at them.


    BTW, not only they played on my property they also left their garbage (tissues, empty bottles, candy wrappers) in my driveway. My next door neigbour kid is very active. He practiced street hockey before and after school. Very annoying when I am trying to sleep. I hate street hockey and basket ball sounds.
    + 1 about basket ball, especially when they start at 9 AM on the weekend

    Our corner lot neighbour had similar issues. Here's what they did:
    • kids playing on their lawn-->they came out the house, sat on the front porch and didn't look at the kids. This worked and kids stopped coming after a few tries.
    • kids playing on the street and spread out to corner lot lawn --> they took that time to mow the lawn or use the edge trimmer (even if the edges looked good)
    • people parking on the street and partially blocking their driveway -->they parked at the END of their driveway or put their recycling bins near where their driveway was blocked
    • kids playing on their lawn --> they talked with the parents, very nicely, stating that they want the children to be safe and not trip or fall on anything that may have been left on the lawn. Some parents get it. A few parents, *sigh*
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Mar 24th, 2016 at 10:07 AM.
    abbasgirl, Ciel, greeny and 3 others like this.

  7. #22
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    371
    Likes Received
    488
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    + 1 about basket ball, especially when they start at 9 AM on the weekend

    Our corner lot neighbour had similar issues. Here's what they did:
    • kids playing on their lawn-->they came out the house, sat on the front porch and didn't look at the kids. This worked and kids stopped coming after a few tries.
    • kids playing on the street and spread out to corner lot lawn --> they took that time to mow the lawn or use the edge trimmer (even if the edges looked good)
    • people parking on the street and partially blocking their driveway -->they parked at the END of their driveway or put their recycling bins near where their driveway was blocked
    • kids playing on their lawn --> they talked with the parents, very nicely, stating that they want the children to be safe and not trip or fall on anything that may have been left on the lawn. Some parents get it. A few parents, *sigh*
    Really good suggestions. Thank you !
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

  8. #23
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Likes Received
    6820
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    I wonder if having a huge dog would work?
    We had a tenant, whose fking annoying 8-10 years old children used to play at my mean neighbour's front lawn. She would rather come to us in anger, instead of talking to my tenant. But we have a huge park at the back side of our house!! Anyway these children stopped once neighbour's dog tries to bite the younger child. They never went out again. I wonder if she did something.
    Last edited by Arvilish; Thu, Mar 24th, 2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added more info plus quotes plus grammar check
    Ciel, Shwa Girl, SavvyLady and 1 others like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

    Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

  9. #24
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Durham Region, Ontario
    Posts
    1,082
    Likes Received
    1998
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Have you asked your local bylaw officers for advice?
    Ciel likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

    Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

  10. #25
    Mastermind Shwa Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    24,158
    Likes Received
    40639
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)




    OP, drove by a corner lot house recently. We saw that they had neatly trimmed mini bushes evenly spaced over the edges. In the center was three medium sized trees of different heights. At either edge of the corner lot was a pine tree. It looked really good

    Name:  79a27d5a2940a2597050d193abf02d91.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  14.4 KB
    Ciel, Scottishgal, greeny and 3 others like this.

  11. #26
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    371
    Likes Received
    488
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    OP, drove by a corner lot house recently. We saw that they had neatly trimmed mini bushes evenly spaced over the edges. In the center was three medium sized trees of different heights. At either edge of the corner lot was a pine tree. It looked really good

    Name:  79a27d5a2940a2597050d193abf02d91.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  14.4 KB

    Wow so sweet of you to post this ! Thank you. That is a great idea and cheaper than a fence. The only issue is I have a fire hydrant on my front yard. Will have to look into the laws regarding shrubbery near a fire hydrant. But, wow thanks so much, I appreciate it !
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

  12. #27
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Likes Received
    6820
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    OP, drove by a corner lot house recently. We saw that they had neatly trimmed mini bushes evenly spaced over the edges. In the center was three medium sized trees of different heights. At either edge of the corner lot was a pine tree. It looked really good

    Name:  79a27d5a2940a2597050d193abf02d91.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  14.4 KB
    Gee thats the best idea ever!

    Sorry OP, my ideas were lame.
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

    Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

  13. #28
    Junior Canuck EvilTofu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario
    Posts
    438
    Likes Received
    466
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    I'm an architect, I would often advice people not to buy corner property unless you don't mind that. Not just playing on it, people tend to walk the shortcut at the corner that damages your new grass. I have a client who gave up fighting the "path" made by pedestrians constantly walking on the grass and made a nice stone path with a beautiful design. That's a few thousand dollars that it doesn't actually solve the problem. They are just going with the flow.

    If it is only kids that is causing you problems. The simplest thing you can do is installing a high frequency noise device if you haven't got children yourself. Younger people can hear very high frequency that older people can't. It is called Anti Loitering "Mosquito" Device. Convenience stores in the UK use them to ward off loitering teens. It's almost painful for the very young, so make sure your neighbours are OK. It is very upsetting for babies. They have different range and volume, but older people can't hear it, so it is hard to install it properly. I advice getting one that can be turned off at night.

    The device might also upset birds and wildlife. Your neighbours wouldn't know it's you, but please use responsibly.
    Ciel likes this.

  14. #29
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    371
    Likes Received
    488
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTofu View Post
    I'm an architect, I would often advice people not to buy corner property unless you don't mind that. Not just playing on it, people tend to walk the shortcut at the corner that damages your new grass. I have a client who gave up fighting the "path" made by pedestrians constantly walking on the grass and made a nice stone path with a beautiful design. That's a few thousand dollars that it doesn't actually solve the problem. They are just going with the flow.

    If it is only kids that is causing you problems. The simplest thing you can do is installing a high frequency noise device if you haven't got children yourself. Younger people can hear very high frequency that older people can't. It is called Anti Loitering "Mosquito" Device. Convenience stores in the UK use them to ward off loitering teens. It's almost painful for the very young, so make sure your neighbours are OK. It is very upsetting for babies. They have different range and volume, but older people can't hear it, so it is hard to install it properly. I advice getting one that can be turned off at night.

    The device might also upset birds and wildlife. Your neighbours wouldn't know it's you, but please use responsibly.
    I have heard of shop owners using devices like that. I just couldn't do it. There is a baby that lives next door. I don't want to cause harm or pain to anyone.
    Ciel likes this.

  15. #30
    Bean bun going offline Ciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    17,846
    Likes Received
    24776
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)




    The hedge idea (my take would be to pick an evergreen of some kind) plus a video surveillance sign or two seem workable. I would also support looking into any bylaw that might state if you can have something that could potentially obscure a driver's vision at the corner if there is a tall hedge put there.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •