User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Up to 3% interest - Tangerine Bank- exp. June 2016

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Its for NEW deposits only. They take a snap shot of your balance on the closing day of April 4 , any amount above that will earn the 3 % interest, anything below that will be 0.8 %

But even moving from Tangerine Chequing to Tangerine Savings is considered to be NEW deposits and of course anything you move from your external account.

But moving anything from Tangerine GIC , RRSP or TFSA account to Tangerine Savings is NOT considered as NEW deposit.
    Silk, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

now I see the way they paid out the 3% to us was on April 30th they paid 0.8% on the balance, then on May 1st they give the remaining 2.2% on that same balance.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    now I see the way they paid out the 3% to us was on April 30th they paid 0.8% on the balance, then on May 1st they give the remaining 2.2% on that same balance.
    Yeah. They put the regular interest on one line on the last day of the month and the promotional interest on a second line on the first day of the month after that.

April 30 - will show regular interest
    May 1 - will show promotional bonus interest

and so on.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

June is here and my negotiated rate will expire in a few days! What are the latest negotiated rates you were able to get from Tangerine?
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo_Shoots View Post
    June is here and my negotiated rate will expire in a few days! What are the latest negotiated rates you were able to get from Tangerine?
    2 % for 90 days, is the best they are offering right now.

Stick to your guns as first they will say NO offer , then they will come up with a 1.6 % - 90 day offer. But stick for the 90 day - 2 % offer.

Otherwise EQ bank always has 2.25 % for entire balance, no begging. Mention this rate to Tangerine also.

https://www.eqbank.ca/personal-banking/features-rates

Is it safe to bank with EQ Bank?

At EQ Bank, we are committed to providing a safe mobile and online banking environment starting from the moment you sign up with us. Safeguarding your account is top of mind, which is why our security features are continuously monitored and improved. Read our EQB Mobile and Online Banking Security Guarantee to learn more.

EQ Bank is a trademark of Equitable Bank, a federally regulated Schedule I Bank with over 500 employees and total assets under management of approximately $17 billion.

For nearly 45 years, brokers across the country have been helping Canadians realize their financial goals through Equitable Bank products such as mortgages, home equity lines of credit and a variety of deposit services.

Equitable Bank was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Equitable Group Inc., whose common and preferred shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols EQB and EQB.PR.C, respectively.

Is my account covered by the CDIC?

EQ Bank is a trademark of Equitable Bank.

Equitable Bank is a member of CDIC. All eligible deposits held under Equitable Bank are covered to the maximum coverage limits of $100,000. Click here for more info.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

the final interest from Tangerine was paid today and now it is time to find another place to park the $$.
    Shwa Girl and Bamboo_Shoots like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    the final interest from Tangerine was paid today and now it is time to find another place to park the $$.
    Negotiate for 2 % for 90 days more, with Tangerine over the phone or web chat. They will give it to you.Not as great as 3 % but better than their 0.8 %. Or move money to your external account and wait for a good NET NEW deposits offer from Tangerine.

Or 2.25 % with EQ bank.

Or Luminus Financial has 3.5 % till September, 15 - Credit Union. DICO insured by ON province.

Or some short term GIC's available upto 3 % if you don't need the money any time soon. Oaken Financial, Merdian Credit Union etc.

honestly I am sick of playing this game with Tangerine, they are acting like Bell and Rogers now ! Lot of time and energy is wasted in calling them and negotiating rates just want to enjoy my summer instead of wasting my time with them ! Every rate I negotiate they only give it to me for 3 months, they can't even do it for 6 months . So I have to keep on calling them, its getting tiresome now.
    walkonby and Bamboo_Shoots like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I have two savings account with Tangerine and have just been moving the money whenever the offer is back but it is annoying. Right now PC Financial is offering 1.8 or something close so I moved our savings there.
    Last edited by lilo0003; Sun, Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
    dededi likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I have two savings account with Tangerine and have just been moving the moving whenever the offer is back but is annoying. Right now PC Financial is offering 1.8 or something close so I moved our savings there.
    EQ Bank at 2.25 % is not bad, just to park the money. $ 17 Billion in assets, 500 employees, listed on TSX, CDIC insured, been around for 45 years, so safe bank.

Easy to open the EQ account too. Everything you do is online and just take picture of $ 1.00 cheque which you send to them via mobile App to open the initial account. After that its just like Tangerine & PC Financial. But EQ has no debit card and no cheque books. Money transferred starts earning interest immediately, even if they put a hold on it.

Free in and out money transfer as many times as you want through EFT, between EQ & external bank like Tangerine, PC Financial etc.
    Free Bill payment. No other fees.
    Also 5 FREE Interac Email transfers included.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    EQ Bank at 2.25 % is not bad, just to park the money. $ 17 Billion in assets, 500 employees, listed on TSX, CDIC insured, been around for 45 years, so safe bank.

Easy to open the EQ account too. Everything you do is online and just take picture of $ 1.00 cheque which you send to them via mobile App to open the initial account. After that its just like Tangerine & PC Financial. But EQ has no debit card and no cheque books. Money transferred starts earning interest immediately, even if they put a hold on it.

Free in and out money transfer as many times as you want through EFT, between EQ & external bank like Tangerine, PC Financial etc.
    Free Bill payment. No other fees.
    Also 5 FREE Interac Email transfers included.
    is this always the rate are is it a promo rate. I would live to just find a place to put the money and stop the shuffle.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    is this always the rate are is it a promo rate. I would live to just find a place to put the money and stop the shuffle.
    There is NO time limit on this rate. But they neither advertise it as a promo rate or a permanent rate.

But this EQ Bank rate has been there for a while. They will be keeping this rate above Tangerine and PC Financial though.
    lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

EQ Bank is not yet in QC We're stuck with Tangerine.

Remember the 3.25% days with ING? 'Siiiiiiighh'
    dededi likes this.
    Please feel free to use my Orange Key 16680564S1

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo_Shoots View Post
    EQ Bank is not yet in QC We're stuck with Tangerine.

Remember the 3.25% days with ING? 'Siiiiiiighh'
    Do you have anyone in non QC you can give their addy for , just to open the bank account ? Everything is online, even opening the account. You just send them a photo of a $ 1.00 check via Mobile App.

So they don't mail you anything and you don't mail them anything, so your addy later on won't come into picture. Once the account is opened you should be fine. Also later on, I think you should be able to log in and just change your addy back to QC one.

say someone who lives in Vancouver opens an EQ account and later on moves to Montreal for a job, family etc, what is he suppossed to do , I don't think they will make him close the account.

i am not sure I think even PC Financial doesn't allow QC residents to open accounts, which is stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information