• 8 Post By coupon girl
  • 3 Post By seylz_gurl
  • 5 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 2 Post By French Lady
  • 3 Post By torontogal12
  • 3 Post By amira84
  • 2 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 2 Post By matty's mom

Thread: Do you find yourself spending too much time saving money?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm wondering how much time do you spend to save money per week?

I tried to limit it to just 2 hours a week on Fridays before I shop on Saturday mornings. But the truth is that my tracking app is telling me I spent 6 hours a week looking at Flip, Checkout 51, Zweet and so on... not counting the fact that I'm here!

Yesterday, I totally forgot to price match the McCain fries at Walmart. It's $1.28 lost (60% more!). I could probably go back to adjust it, or even return it. But that would cost me at least 20 minutes. Reminded myself that $3 an hour saving is like working under minimum wage. "Let it go, woman!" But I'm trying to make excuseS to go back this weekend. lol

Do you cap your time use in penny pinching?
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Thumpersmom, ROMEO, Ciel and 4 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lol true, but you will learn after a while what is worth searching on Flip.
    ROMEO, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Good question, OP! I know I preview at least three grocery store flyers, plus CT and Shoppers on the SC site-so let's say 20min per week. Then community flyer bundle-say 30 minutes giving the desired flyers (grocery and otherwise) a thorough lookover AFTER I have removed the flyers I know our household won't use. If I forget to jot down the specials of interest while reviewing flyers, add15-20 minutes on Friday or Saturday when I take the flyers out again to double-check specials against needs.

>65-70min average per week!

I don't have any mobile devices or apps as yet.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is sort of a hobby for me. I enjoy it, teach when I can, share as much info as I can and give away almost all of it to family and friends during the year and especially at Christmas time. I make baskets that are full to overflowing to probably 10 different families and they give the baskets back in the new year for replenishing the following Christmas. At a recent girls night out we treated the ML bacon like an Oprah car giveaway! "Everyone gets a Bacon!" I do know that it can be time consuming and its true that it can take up a lot of your time if you aren't careful.
    ROMEO, Angela273, macw1960 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I usually spend about 30 minutes on Sunday morning going through the flyers and making my grocery list. I usually shop at RCSS, so price match if needed.

If I think I want to do a real SDM shop, I might spend another 15-20 minutes looking through that flyer. But most weeks, it's just a cursory glance that takes a few minutes.

I don't use coupons much anymore. I do look at the inserts when they come, and if there are desirable to me coupons, will take the minute to cut it out. And I do check out the coupon board on the way in to RCSS. I check CO51 on Thursday mornings on the bus on the way to work, and star any interesting-to-me offers. Then when I go through flyers on Sunday, I check if anything from CO51 matches.

So for me, average of 35 minutes a week, with the odd week using about 45-50 minutes.

Oops, forgot about PC Plus app. Check that on bus on Friday mornings, with a glance on Sunday when checking flyers. So average maybe 35-40 minutes a week.
    Last edited by super807; Mon, Apr 18th, 2016 at 03:20 PM.
    macw1960 and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I guess it depends what you would do with that time otherwise. If you are using it to earn money, then likely not. But if you would be watching TV for example, you aren't getting paid to do that either so may as well use it constructively to save money.
    Part of the planning would always be done (for me at least) as I like to know what I am buying and meal plan around it. So I would always browse flyers.
    I only use flip etc to save photos but even so, my app use for grocery stuff is only about an hour a week inc checking SDM coupons and PC plus a few times a week.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I probably do. But it's my hobby and as of right now I'm a stay at home mom. So I consider it my job too. So meh. I'd say an hour a day maybe 30 minutes I'm browsing on here. Checking brags, my apps on the days the update and cross referencing . Flyers etc. Then Tuesday is my only shop day usually (very occ. I'll go Friday morning if it's a great sale). I share a lot with family as well too.

I like to drink coffee and coupon/shop. It's what I do. So I'm ok with T how many hours a week I spend on it. Some people go to the gym.... I bake and coupon lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well I still love couponing (have for 30 years)-only not as many anymore -now I try to align up the checkout51 with flyer deals (worth it as its money back to me )
    -I don't have any apps as I don't own a cell phone but I am very organized -when I first read the flyers I mark an x beside really good deals -then if I go out that week I already have one thing done for my price matching
    -I would say maybe 2hours a week looking at flyers,brags on here ,making my list -but to me its well worth it I really enjoy this

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never calculated the time I spend as usually I'm multitasking e.g. waiting for someone in the car, or talking on the phone. You are right it probably is waaayy more time then I think but I enjoy it and it makes me feel good to save here and there. I enjoy too going to garage sales and 2nd hand shops to reuse and recycle and discover small treasures. Guess sort of a hobby like someone mentioned. I do admit that clipping and keeping track of coupons can sometimes add frustration to my day but find that the electronic versions aren't as great as they started out to be or give you the flexibility of the paper ones.
    Angela273, macw1960 and amira84 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I enjoy it and don't think of it as wasting time at all. It's fun to me to save $ and get the best bang for my buck.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I'm a thrift shop junkie. I do save a lot of money that way, and rarely have to buy new clothes, but I do spend a lot of time sorting the goodies from the junk.
    Angela273 and macw1960 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If you're worried about the amount of time you spend, try multitasking if you have a cell phone. Go through Flip when you're waiting for a bus or sitting in a car. Try to do it on the days before the flyers change and the days the cashback apps do new offers. That's how I keep things in check.

I agree with FallenPixels, if you're just spending the time watching TV might as well do it because you're not actually taking time away from when you'd be earning money
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I guess it depends what you would do with that time otherwise. If you are using it to earn money, then likely not. But if you would be watching TV for example, you aren't getting paid to do that either so may as well use it constructively to save money.
    Part of the planning would always be done (for me at least) as I like to know what I am buying and meal plan around it. So I would always browse flyers.
    I only use flip etc to save photos but even so, my app use for grocery stuff is only about an hour a week inc checking SDM coupons and PC plus a few times a week.

+1. This is exactly what I was going to say. It all depends on how you were going to spend that time in the end.
    And also, for me, i love spending time on looking for deals, coupons and spending time on cashback apps, on SC, my loyalty programs apps (think sdm and pcplus. Lol) and things like that. I am proud to say that it's my hobby now and I don't see myself giving up couponing/reabtes for anything.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    +1. This is exactly what I was going to say. It all depends on how you were going to spend that time in the end.
    And also, for me, i love spending time on looking for deals, coupons and spending time on cashback apps, on SC, my loyalty programs apps (think sdm and pcplus. Lol) and things like that. I am proud to say that it's my hobby now and I don't see myself giving up couponing/reabtes for anything.
    I think for most of us as SC it is just a way of life! We received our sample box yesterday and DS helped me go through it He was impressed and said "That was a good haul" lol I have never heard him say that before haha! He thought it was going to be boring cleaners he said lol
    matty's mom and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

When I "retired", I was 42 yrs old and had a 2 1/2 yrs old. With having DS later in life, it helped to put us in a place where we could afford my becoming a SAHM. DH makes money, and I keep it . Because I am at home, we will have a veggie garden and I will freeze/ can. I make all PJ's and any casual clothes for DS (tall and husky) that I can't buy easily, or I alter. I make for myself as well. I work our loyalty programs the best I can. I have even made furniture! (Wooden spool side table and a book shelf so far. Handy contractor hubby beside all the way.)

Like Fallen Pixels said, it is about being productive with your time vs money.

When I was working, I used to ask myself- "I have worked __ hours to buy that. Is it worth it?" I do the same even though I am at home. What time is this worth?
    Last edited by matty's mom; Thu, Apr 28th, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
    walkonby and Lavender Lady like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Thread Information