• 3 Post By missmaggs
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By lotsasavings
  • 1 Post By bobby556

Thread: 14% Sour Cream Deal at Maxi

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Popped into Maxi this morning to get some lettuce. In one of their refrigerators in the middle, Maxi had a whole fridge full of 14% sour cream on sale for 10 cents (the big containers)! Yes 10 cents! I checked to see the exp date and all were dated from Apr 14 to Apr 16. 10 cents! I mean what do i do with a deal like that? Do i buy or not? anyway, i bought 15 containers all dated Apr 16. I get home with the sour cream and lettuce and hubby takes one look at all that sour cream and then looks at me like ive lost my mind! lol

Ive heard somewhere that you can freeze sour cream so i check with Google and here is what i found. Im glad i bought all that sour cream!

``Don’t be afraid to stock up on perishables like sour cream when an awesome deal comes around. You can store a plethora of sour cream in the freezer. Be warned, though–freezing does affect the texture of sour cream. The moisture separates as it freezes, giving it a look similar to cottage cheese once it thaws. It still tastes the same, but the cottage cheese texture won’t work as well on foods like tacos and baked potatoes. But it can still be used in baked goods, soups and casseroles to add creaminess to each dish.
    How to Freeze Sour Cream

• Whip the sour cream with a whisk or spatula to distribute the moisture evenly throughout the container.
    • Store sour cream in its original container or scoop it into an air-tight storage bowl or plastic zipper freezer bag.
    • Squeeze out any excess air from the container if you choose to use a freezer bag.
    • Write the date on the container with a permanent marker.
    • Place the sour cream in the freezer. It can stay there for up to 6 months.
    • To thaw: Place frozen sour cream in the refrigerator for a few hours. Once thawed, restore some of its original creamy texture by whipping a teaspoon of cornstarch into the sour cream.``
    This thread is currently associated with: Maxi

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

SnowFlakey and Arvilish like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

To be honest, I have kept the stuff in the back of the fridge fridge for months after the expiry with no harm. Like 3 months. There's live good bacteria in it that fight off all the bad bacteria from ever getting a foothold.

The worst that happens is the whey juice separates out, and it is ugly yellow, because it contains B vitamins (the kind that make you pee yellow). So never be afraid of the whey - just pour it off or mix it back in.

Only be scared of mould.

Best cheap suggestion to use up lots is sour cream custard pie: eggs, sugar, sour cream, vanilla poured in a crust and baked up to something like a cheesecake pie.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I make sour cream coffee cakes with lots of cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans when sour cream goes on sale. Then cut cakes in half and wrapp really well and freeze. Handy to have on hand if guests dropp in or you want a treat.
    lecale and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just have to say I love this forum and all my fellow smart cancuckers! I love reading all these helpful tips and seeing the creative ways everyone uses up their great shopping scores. I'm constantly learning something new.... Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    SnowFlakey, Valerey and luvthefree like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wowsers! Never have tried to freeze it.
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Teachers Have Class
    Trading Score
    520 (100%)

Wow! What a deal! I would be using some for sour cream coffee cakes, too!
    SnowFlakey likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can never have enough sour cream. My arteries might disagree
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Thread Information