User Tag List

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree723Likes

Thread: [Rant] Ontario Hydro-you used less energy so you have to pay more. Huh?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

What you said is what one observer who registered to speak her piece said too.
    As to the pricing (tiered vs TOU)-if you got a smart meter, you got TOU. Not everyone is on TOU and by the way, utility boundaries are legacy ones and there are different classes of customer depending on customer densities in your area. However, not all smart meters can connect to existing cellular towers to transmit in real time. So TOU pricing.

Utilities have to forecast what they need for distribution costs (wires/posts as these things age or reach end of useful lives; don't forget we are also having some severe weather events and I suspect a certain number of them are in the forecasts otherwise we'd be waiting WAY longer for power restoration after an outage due to weather/act of nature) for the given year. OEB decides if it gives all, some or none of the requested rate increases. One member of the audience referenced a different utility in which it was declined its rate increase. But most applications do receive some or all of the requested money.

Bob Delaney did post a Twitter item about the meeting. My MPP, Ted McMeekin, had attended the meeting. I did not see anything prior to the meeting about the event and the photo (room setup) suggests a small turnout (audience faced one side wall not the stage at back of hall), not a full house.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jun 23rd, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Community paper's coverage of last week's Ontario Energy Board meeting in Ancaster regarding Hydro One's rates application:
    https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...e-application/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Oops, Wynne did it again.

So the new pilot project is to get you to do your laundry after midnight if you want the best savings on your electricity bills.
    Other pricing projects include having a lower-priced period from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. year round with higher mid- and on-peak rates; eliminating the mid-peak period for three months each in the summer and winter with a higher critical peak rate for when demand is forecast to be highest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...cing-1.4266033

Soon we may need to do our laundry and cooking after midnight like the lady on TLC Extreme Cheapskates

Start 10:51

What next…
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Tue, Aug 29th, 2017 at 02:54 PM.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LMAO... already there. Dishwasher runs over night. All laundry after 7pm.
    She is trying. Be glad you don't live up north and heat your home with electricity. Those people are really screwed. Winter cutoffs etc.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ugh...I wanted to toss my cookies after watching that Extreme cheapskates video @Shwa Girl ...That is a bit much don't you think sharing toothbrushes, deodorant and cotton swabs? However this latest announcement about how to save on hydro...I am the same as many others here.
    We already do laundry, cooking and dishes during the wee hours as it is, not sure what else we are expected to try?
    barbis9, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    ugh...I wanted to toss my cookies after watching that Extreme cheapskates video @Shwa Girl ...That is a bit much don't you think sharing toothbrushes, deodorant and cotton swabs? However this latest announcement about how to save on hydro...I am the same as many others here.
    We already do laundry, cooking and dishes during the wee hours as it is, not sure what else we are expected to try?
    @walkonby , yup, I saw the toothbrush sharing etc.
    Later on in the video, the lady who is saving money on hydro, is trimming her hedges after midnight, using her flashlight to see, and vacuuming in her living room while her family is trying to sleep.
    barbis9, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Oops, Wynne did it again.

So the new pilot project is to get you to do your laundry after midnight if you want the best savings on your electricity bills.
    Other pricing projects include having a lower-priced period from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. year round with higher mid- and on-peak rates; eliminating the mid-peak period for three months each in the summer and winter with a higher critical peak rate for when demand is forecast to be highest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...cing-1.4266033

Soon we may need to do our laundry and cooking after midnight like the lady on TLC Extreme Cheapskates

What next…
    So, when everyone starts consuming more electricity over night, will that become the new peak time? and will those rates go up? ... 3 months before they bother to notify anyone that they went up?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    So, when everyone starts consuming more electricity over night, will that become the new peak time? and will those rates go up? ... 3 months before they bother to notify anyone that they went up?
    Yup.
    Can you imagine hearing your neighbor using the outdoor electrical stuff -- lawnmower, leaf blower, edge trimmer -- in the middle of the night?!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Somehow they say we have used over 100 kwh more this month? We use the same appliances each day, the AC has been on less as there were cool days. Changing it to monthly has been nothing but problems
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I can't imagine what else we can do to reduce usage and the cost increases as fast as we reduce and this just makes me crazy.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

that video of extreme cheapskates is nuts.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I noticed that the front cover of the Toronto Sun had a huge HELP WANTED headline with a photo of the Ontario premier.

If crockpots can be remotely started with a timing mechanism by smartphone, we need apps for the electric washers and dryers. Oh, wait-not everyone has a smartphone.

Municipal bylaws on noise are going to need to change to allow all manners of leaf blowing and mowing at night. Suddenly homeowners are going to have to upgrade their home insulation for soundproofing (boon for DIY stores).

The wife of one journalist who worked night shifts at a major paper routinely did her housekeeping tasks at night-it was a way also to ensure she and her DH had a chance to keep connected with the family needs and news as they both got up at the same time. Not sure how she handled the children's need for quiet at night. But obviously doing said tasks in condo or townhouses or apartment building during owl hours is going to hike civil disobedience statistics if social media justice is involved too.

From Alectra's Facebook page about the new program with those rates:
    https://www.facebook.com/alectranews...type=3&theater
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

They did it again. They are spending money to advertise that they lowered hydro rates. Our money. $5.5 million dollars. $5500000.
    TORONTO - Ontario's Liberal government has earmarked $5.5 million to advertise cuts to hydro bills - ads the opposition says use public money to make the Liberal party look good.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/25...ydro-bill-cuts
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    They did it again. They are spending money to advertise that they lowered hydro rates. Our money. $5.5 million dollars. $5500000.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/25...ydro-bill-cuts

argh!!!! that drives me CRAAAZY!

those self-promoting ads that end with 'brought to you by the province of ontario' also drive me nutzzzzz! those ads are paid for by *us* not by the governing party.
    don't get me started.
    Last edited by heartgirl99; Sun, Oct 1st, 2017 at 07:48 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heartgirl99 View Post
    argh!!!! that drives me CRAAAZY!

those self-promoting ads that end with 'brought to you by the province of ontario' also drive me nutzzzzz! those ads are paid for by *us* not by the governing party.
    don't get me started.
    I feel the same way @heartgirl99

Shwa Girl likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information