• 3 Post By brunt
  • 3 Post By jerryhung
  • 2 Post By Ciel
  • 3 Post By tjthemanto
  • 2 Post By super_e

Thread: previous years taxes.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I need your help. I want to do someone's taxes but she hasn't filed her taxes from 2011 to 2016. Can someone tell me how can I file her returns? Any free software for that? I have been filing our tax return (hubby and my tax returns) using turbo tax from day 1 but it's not free. I was thinking of using simpletax for her but I don't know the process of filing so many returns in one go. Can someone help me here? How can I do it? does she need to go to a professional tax return guys?
    And does someone know how much these big professional guys charge for filing tax returns for so many years?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try StudioTax. This page (http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=2) will give you access to the versions for previous years as well.
    Ciel, amira84 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hopefully she has all the data/slips, that'd make things much easier

Download previous years StudioTax and do it one year by year, good luck
    I think Simpletax.ca only has 2014/2015 so far
    Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
    AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Professional firms likely charge per information slip after say one (free) T-4 slip per tax year. Then by tax forms. Depends on how complicated or detailed her situation is. Set returns for single are likely based on a limited number of information slips for the return. Part of a couple (married or common-in-law): will likely trigger a look likely at any tax credits claimed by the spouse.

Why does she not print out the tax forms from the CRA site and do the returns that way? Postage will be huge due to need to print both sides of forms but then she'd get the tax forms for each year in question.
    If she's owing in any tax year, CRA can apply any refund money to the amount owing.
    super_e and amira84 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Don't get involved unless its a very close friend or relative. If something goes wrong they will blame you and CRA might even hold you responsible for filing on their behalf.

Someone who is so careless and not filed for last 5-6 years is also going to be equally careless and not keep the proper records, slips, data, income for the last 5-6 years. Something is bound to go wrong and things are going to be missed, if some semi-professional tries to do the return. Trust me its going to be a Thankless job with lot of headache and blame coming your way, if and when things go wrong !

Do you really trust this person to remember and give you the proper data, slips, records etc for the last 5-6 years ! They might not remember, but CRA will and things might not match ! They might even owe taxes with interest and penalties on top of it ! So its not always a refund, remind them that. Plus lot of payment like Child Tax Benefit, HST credit CRA only goes back 11 months and pays retroactive credit, so they must have lost lot of benefits and credits payment due to inaction ;(

I am a pretty meticulous person, but if you ask me to do my taxes for the last 5-6 years, even I will screw up ! Doing 1 years taxes is a nightmare itself

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I hadn't done mine in a few years (let's not go there as to why).
    I was able to do mine the old fashioned way, with a pen and paper. The old forms are all on the government's website. I'm lucky, no kids, just one job, so quite simple to do on my own if I just follow the guide.
    Im still not up to date, and I haven't even done them in order, but each time a years returns are done, I mail them in.
    As long as you don't owe the government money, there isn't a penalty for filing late.
    And I've always put plenty of money in RRSPs to be sure not to have to owe the gov't anything.
    amira84 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks everyone for your input. Based on some fellows SC'ers posts i decided to try studiotax for myself and i am very thankful to you guys for that. I dont think i will use turbotax from now on.

About that other lady...shelives in our town and we eont know each other. She had welfare receipts and universal child care benefits receipts. Thats it. But she didnt reply me after that so i guess and hope she filed her returns through a professional.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Thread Information